I have an SPS... uh oh, now what

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am officially addicted to facebook marketplace. I found a nice gentleman who had $15/frag, and I grabbed 3 and he threw in an extra freebie. Ended up with a kenya tree, 4 head duncan, zoa rock with 3 diff types, and a birds nest SPS.

The bird's nest was the free one. I dipped all 4 with Red Sea's coral dip before putting them in the tank. He recommended I do this, as he was going to as well, because I brought him one of my green hairy mushroom splits, just as a nod to future business.

The SPS I put as high as possible, and there is a powerhead that is blowing basically right at it. It has little green hairs coming out from it, but is very very small, probably 1/4" tall and just a little V shape.

There are 3 orphek 48" LED bars providing light, and I don't really want to keep any other SPS in the tank as I am a "softie" at heart.

Ideas - bring birds nest to LFS see if they would trade me credit, or keep it and see what happens ?

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty easy to keep with softies and if you are managing ALK, CAl, MG i think its worth keeping and see what happens.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty easy to keep with softies and if you are managing ALK, CAl, MG i think its worth keeping and see what happens.
I am managing these by… weekly 10% water changes? Lol I am testing for them, and recording the results, but at this point in time it’s more out of habit. Nitrate phosphate alk ph calc but not magnesium

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium holds your cal and alk stable so I highly recommend you start testing that. Its an infrequent dose every once in a while. If you are doing weekly water chances you may not need to worry about it. Im holding these #s with good luck on all my corals (Cal: 450ppm, Alk 9.5 DKH, Mg 1300). Keep water quality high however you need to. I dont do weekly wcs, I use a turf scrubber and do monthly changes at best.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine under standard Biocube 32 leds. Incredible growth in 6 months. You’ll be fine.
FA8C4B73-F1FD-4E1C-B7F5-65B39C5609DB.jpeg
9B9B8EF2-C7EF-49A6-8321-4E0B5ACDCACA.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back