I have hundreds of striped blennies! (Meiacanthus Grammistes)

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all you who have experience, especially you clown people, I need tips on how to market my striped blennies and yellow clown gobies I have been breeding. My thread is under the fish breeding forum. I’m not a company, just a hobbiest with eventual aspirations some day. Other than the obvious LFS that really try and literally buy cents on the dollar, which I don’t think is fair considering how much they pay for shipping in wild specimens that we all know have the chance of dying immediately after acclimation. I could sure use some tips. Here are a few pics:

IMG_3806.JPG

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up on my previous post just posted above...the larger blennies that I need to take photos of, are way to fast to catch in a shot glass and even harder in a net at this point because of their speed and agility. MAN, THEYRE FAST!! Here’s a pic to show u how brilliant this fishes’ color gets. All due to the food I feed all of my fish. I owe all my successes to Reed Mariculture. Their food is phenominal. Let’s not forget about Larry from Fertility Frenzy. His products are well researched and has I put for marine biologists actually working in the industry as well as sources you wouldn’t normally seek out.
I have a 1inch diameter PVC TUBE that is about a third of the
7d98206f4d7c343364ce57a5a67500e5.jpg

A third of these eggs will probably hatch tonight, both yellow clown gobi Hey everyone. Just an addition to my breeding blog. I’ve beaten my last record by 9 days now. This is awesome, mostly because I’m relatively new to breeding other things besides clownfish. There are thousands of species able to be bred in the home aquarium (it happens often, but usually after the lights go out, then eaten). So countless spawning events happen in your very own aquarium at home. Once you know what food to raise the larvae with and can reliably reproduce them (mostly rotifers and copepods), you’re all set to go. Count on me to help with questions!
[URL] [URL] Hey everyone. Just an addition to my breeding blog. I’ve beaten my last record by 9 days now. This is awesome, mostly because I’m relatively new to breeding other things besides clownfish. There are thousands of species able to be bred in the home aquarium (it happens often, but usually after the lights go out, then eaten). So countless spawning events happen in your very own aquarium at home. Once you know what food to raise he larvae and can reliably reproduce them (mostly rotifers which are easy).

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! I might take some off your hands once they get large enough! I have a build that I’m doin by now, but I’ll be ready in about 2 weeks or so!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To follow up on my previous post just posted above...the larger blennies that I need to take photos of, are way to fast to catch in a shot glass and even harder in a net at this point because of their speed and agility. MAN, THEYRE FAST!! Here’s a pic to show u how brilliant this fishes’ color gets. All due to the food I feed all of my fish. I owe all my successes to Reed Mariculture. Their food is phenominal. Let’s not forget about Larry from Fertility Frenzy. His products are well researched and has I put for marine biologists actually working in the industry as well as sources you wouldn’t normally seek out.
I have a 1inch diameter PVC TUBE that is about a third of the
7d98206f4d7c343364ce57a5a67500e5.jpg

A third of these eggs will probably hatch tonight, both yellow clown gobi Hey everyone. Just an addition to my breeding blog. I’ve beaten my last record by 9 days now. This is awesome, mostly because I’m relatively new to breeding other things besides clownfish. There are thousands of species able to be bred in the home aquarium (it happens often, but usually after the lights go out, then eaten). So countless spawning events happen in your very own aquarium at home. Once you know what food to raise the larvae with and can reliably reproduce them (mostly rotifers and copepods), you’re all set to go. Count on me to help with questions!
[URL="http:// Hey everyone. Just an addition to my breeding blog. I’ve beaten my last record by 9 days now. This is awesome, mostly because I’m relatively new to breeding other things besides clownfish. There are thousands of species able to be bred in the home aquarium (it happens often, but usually after the lights go out, then eaten). So countless spawning events happen in your very own aquarium at home. Once you know what food to raise he larvae and can reliably reproduce them (mostly rotifers which are easy). "] Hey everyone. Just an addition to my breeding blog. I’ve beaten my last record by 9 days now. This is awesome, mostly because I’m relatively new to breeding other things besides clownfish. There are thousands of species able to be bred in the home aquarium (it happens often, but usually after the lights go out, then eaten). So countless spawning events happen in your very own aquarium at home. Once you know what food to raise he larvae and can reliably reproduce them (mostly rotifers which are easy). [/URL]

Doing an absolutely brilliant job here! There so cute! I'm sure you'll find them all a home! Just have to put them out there like your doing now

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved a herd of them to juvenile tank. They are great eaters. I’ve been feeding them left over Fertility Frenzy and they can now take down some of the biggest brine shrimp, swallowing whole at times. They’re so fun to just sit and watch them eat. It’s been a blast raising them. A great little fish. I want to get others in the Meiacanthus family, there’s hundreds.

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another BIG clutch on the way! Using a tank/greenwater method to see if there is any difference in my mortality rate. This is a commonly used tank rearing methods for clownfish that I never really liked, but I have an open mind. It leaves no place for bacterial colonization to immediately metabolize the ammonia and nitrates. We will see, taking notes...
957d674e91c516c7e2c31aadd236f1fe.jpg

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which are the different foods you are feeding? They look amazing. Congrats.

I use “L” type Rotifers and experimenting with copepod nauplii for a healthier fish and seeing if it affects mortality rate to improve. I read some studies. Anyone can do this, it’s not rocket science and really doesn’t take much more care than you’re regular tank. I can point you in the right direction if interested. One book you should start with is 15$ and goes into culturing first foods, like copepods amphi pods Artemia and Rotifers. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks for checking out my post.

OP
OP
pdisner

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another BIG clutch on the way! Using a tank/greenwater method to see if there is any difference in my mortality rate. This is a commonly used tank rearing methods for clownfish that I never really liked, but I have an open mind. It leaves no place for bacterial colonization to immediately metabolize the ammonia and nitrates. We will see, taking notes...
957d674e91c516c7e2c31aadd236f1fe.jpg

I meant to say yellow clown gobies. Sorry.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your thread good job with it and you breeding success. I found it because I was looking for information on how to possibly raise the eggs from my file fish. Sadly I have found very little info on raising them. Are you still breeding striped blennies and yellow clown gobies? I would be interested in buying some and any other fish your breeding?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So to market these fish it really depends on who you want to market them too...LFS or people. You absolutely need to state that they are captive bred and if they are eating and so on. Fish that are captive bred tend to demand a higher price but tend to have benfits such as being more adaptable to aquarium life. If you want to go LFS side of things market them as captive bred, eating, and maybe you could supply them a consistent amount so lets sya you bring them 5-10 fish a week. Now for locals I would market them how you would for corals... Eating, healthy, captive bred and any other info you would like to add such as are they quarantined and how long have they been hatched and so on. This is really cool and you can take the marketing of these fish in many direction just have fun with it. Heck maybe to drum up some business you can do a raffle or something :)

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you shipped fish before? If you want to test it I would love free fish lol. No seriously if you want to test a shipment to NY it would help you sell them if you knew you could do it. I am willing to take a test package if needed. I have room for 3 more fish in my tank if you want to send a test blenny or goby I would gladly accept it and report back on the results.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 90s I was breeding clownfish (ocellaris and percula) by the hundreds if not thousands. With such numbers, it was out of the question to sell all those little by little to private aquarists or even local stores. I ultimately found a wholesaler who took them off my hands regularly. The price I got was fairly low, yet still better than what you usually would get from stores (crappy price and usually just store credit).
With lower numbers of babies, I would first try to sell them to local aquarists or stores. When dealing with stores you should be driving a harder bargain and be willing to walk out if you feel they want to push the price down and on top of that just give store credit on that dumping price (= screwing you over twice).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back