I have lost everything.... 100 gallon sps

tomas1759

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm sorry, but I don't speak English very well. I tell you my situation which is totally desperate ... I have or rather had a 100 gallon reef just of acropores and fish. I began to notice that a kind of slime came out in the glass and in the rock something similar to diatom, I looked at it under a microscope and had doubts about what it could be, the store here told me it was ostreopsis ovata .. Add phyto and feed much more ... that's what I did and in the end I unleashed totally white water in bacterial bloom and the death of practically the entire aquarium. I have my doubts that it is ostreopsis and even that it is dino ... I am seriously thinking about starting from scratch and bathing the whole stone in bleach ... Here is a video that I managed to record with a toy microscope. .. Can you help me ...

Thanks a lot

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry for. your loss. Dino's for sure. Kinda looks like ostreopsis to me, but a higher rez still image would help.

Good news is Ostreopsis is pretty easy to beat. High power UV and nutrients (N at about 10, P at about 0.04). Bad news - bleach may not fix it fully. Even a single sell that survives is enough. I would concentrate on making a system that can naturally beat it instead of nuking all equipment.

Side note, I am not sure how Phyto and Food created the "unleashed totally white water in bacterial bloom" unless you dumped a very unreasonably high dose. Do you do carbon dosing?

OP
OP
T

tomas1759

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for. your loss. Dino's for sure. Kinda looks like ostreopsis to me, but a higher rez still image would help.

Good news is Ostreopsis is pretty easy to beat. High power UV and nutrients (N at about 10, P at about 0.04). Bad news - bleach may not fix it fully. Even a single sell that survives is enough. I would concentrate on making a system that can naturally beat it instead of nuking all equipment.

Side note, I am not sure how Phyto and Food created the "unleashed totally white water in bacterial bloom" unless you dumped a very unreasonably high dose. Do you do carbon dosing?

Thank you very much for answering, they recommended me to add np plus of tropic marin and that produced cloudy water and rtn in 20% of acropores, stop adding it and focus on benthic copepods and live phyto (30ml a day until phosphates rise to 0, 02) the water began to turn white and after two days it was crystal clear again. Two days passed and it became cloudy again, each day more cloudy until it was totally white and caused the death of everything ... what if I observe is that under the microscope it looks as if they had legs, I have not seen any similar in videos or photos ...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dinos can be destructive. Here’s a recourse to turn this around:
Before treatment, check your phosphate and nitrate to assure levels aren’t elevated
Blow loose with a turkey baster. It will capture and clean more surface area. Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you very much for answering, they recommended me to add np plus of tropic marin and that produced cloudy water and rtn in 20% of acropores, stop adding it and focus on benthic copepods and live phyto (30ml a day until phosphates rise to 0, 02) the water began to turn white and after two days it was crystal clear again. Two days passed and it became cloudy again, each day more cloudy until it was totally white and caused the death of everything ... what if I observe is that under the microscope it looks as if they had legs, I have not seen any similar in videos or photos ...

How much np plus did you add?

Dynos don't have feet, but they do have flagellum which can look like a foot sometimes. More like a tail I would say.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry that you are losing your livestock. Something set off a bacterial bloom. I would not give up on the whole biome as it is still alive. If you can continue to skim the water and maintain proper water parameters it will stabilize over the next month or so.

The video is dinos, but the swim pattern is not that of ostreopsis. I believe it is large cell amphidinium. A UV light won't help with that species, but it may help clear the bacterial bloom.

I would let everything settle down for a while. With all the mortality, your tank nutrient levels are going to be very high, so you will need to remove whatever dead material you can and conduct some water changes.

OP
OP
T

tomas1759

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos can be destructive. Here’s a recourse to turn this around:
Before treatment, check your phosphate and nitrate to assure levels aren’t elevated
Blow loose with a turkey baster. It will capture and clean more surface area. Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
do I use the h2o2 when the water is already crystal clear?

OP
OP
T

tomas1759

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry that you are losing your livestock. Something set off a bacterial bloom. I would not give up on the whole biome as it is still alive. If you can continue to skim the water and maintain proper water parameters it will stabilize over the next month or so.

The video is dinos, but the swim pattern is not that of ostreopsis. I believe it is large cell amphidinium. A UV light won't help with that species, but it may help clear the bacterial bloom.

I would let everything settle down for a while. With all the mortality, your tank nutrient levels are going to be very high, so you will need to remove whatever dead material you can and conduct some water changes.
I agree with you, at the time I suspected amphidinium, now I am removing dead acropores and the few that still survive I will pass them to another tank ...
I had in mind to put more fish when everything stabilizes and once I have good cattle put acropores ... this time cultivar frags ... I have lost 10 colonies of good size ... a catastrophe

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, at the time I suspected amphidinium, now I am removing dead acropores and the few that still survive I will pass them to another tank ...
I had in mind to put more fish when everything stabilizes and once I have good cattle put acropores ... this time cultivar frags ... I have lost 10 colonies of good size ... a catastrophe
Good idea to run fish only for a while and let the biome recover stability.

Do you think you have an understanding on what caused the bacterial bloom? Or if it was a bacterial bloom?

Amphidinium are not toxic so I doubt they played any role.

OP
OP
T

tomas1759

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea to run fish only for a while and let the biome recover stability.

Do you think you have an understanding on what caused the bacterial bloom? Or if it was a bacterial bloom?

Amphidinium are not toxic so I doubt they played any role.
t is something that has me with doubts. It all started when the glass began to put on with a kind of whitish slime. As a result of that I lost all the prawns and all the snails and I assumed that the dino was quite aggressive since my parameters were 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate (zeovit system). So I began to add more food and add products to increase nutrients, np plus they recommended this product to me but they also have carbon sources that I doubt are beneficial to treat the dino ... I also added dops and live phyto the fish began to die Like the corals, the water began to turn white without regaining its transparency. I suppose that adding more food caused the bacteria to not bear so much load ... to this day the water is totally cloudy and the skimmer is drawing green water with a very bad smell.
I've been with this hobby since I was 12 years old and I had never experienced anything similar, I wanted to try the zeovit method, I got spectacular colors under t5 (6 aquablue special and 2 blue plus) the lack of nutrients ended up taking its toll.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t is something that has me with doubts. It all started when the glass began to put on with a kind of whitish slime. As a result of that I lost all the prawns and all the snails and I assumed that the dino was quite aggressive since my parameters were 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate (zeovit system). So I began to add more food and add products to increase nutrients, np plus they recommended this product to me but they also have carbon sources that I doubt are beneficial to treat the dino ... I also added dops and live phyto the fish began to die Like the corals, the water began to turn white without regaining its transparency. I suppose that adding more food caused the bacteria to not bear so much load ... to this day the water is totally cloudy and the skimmer is drawing green water with a very bad smell.
I've been with this hobby since I was 12 years old and I had never experienced anything similar, I wanted to try the zeovit method, I got spectacular colors under t5 (6 aquablue special and 2 blue plus) the lack of nutrients ended up taking its toll.
White slime is usually a bacterial bloom. During a bloom, oxygen in the tank is rapidly consumed leading to the death of animals low in the water column where oxygen does not reach as easily. Then, the ammonia the dying animals release creates a larger bacterial bloom that removes even more oxygen and the fish begin to suffocate. It is a cascading crash of the system.

My understanding of zeovit is that it a bacteria driven approach to a low nutrient process. I have seen some beautiful pastel acropora tanks with this method. It clearly can work. I don't know the trigger to your cascade crash but some group of animals died off rapidly and your bacteria colony exploded, starting the cascade.

Hopefully you can piece together the chain of events/changes that led to the initial trigger event of deaths. Once the cascade begins, it is hard to slow/reverse it. Possible, but difficult. Aeration, huge water changes are certainly part of correcting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back