I have something to confess

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have something to confess. I am new to Club-Zoa, so I thought this would be a perfect time to reveal my confession. I know that since I am new and nobody knows me you will not hold back any of your thoughts.

For just under two years I have maintained a 55 gallon mixed reef tank mainly dominated my LPS, zoos and palys. I also have about and 18 gallon refugium. My lighting is 265 watts of PC.

So my confession is that I use and have used tap water since day one.
Yes thats right tap water. Everything in my tank has always thrived so whats the big deal? Amazing growth amazing color. What am I missing out on?
If I do choose to use RO water for my weekly changes what will I notice?
There is an old saying I am sure everyone has heard......."If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
So let it rip guys, I want to hear it all, pros cons whys why nots.
FTS, sorry not the best.
517FTS.jpg

And another cool one just cause I have it ready.
MDownLtSupp.jpg

SteveO

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tap water for about a year and a half when I first started. RO will help with the clarity of the water and will decrease the how often you have to do water changes IMO. The upside it that tapo water is high in Alk and Ca in some locations.
Heres my tap water tank, with 65 Iwasaki bulbs (all natural:)
12-7-2005-10.jpg

12-7-2005-07.jpg

12-7-2005-10.jpg

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple LFS here in my town use tap water. Our tap TDS is only 23ppm so in a pinch i wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Great looking tank! And welcome to the site.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, every one. I forgot to mention that when tested tap water will not register on my phosphate tester. Also the city that my water comes from claims to have the cleanest tap in Michigan and cleaner than most bottled companies.

I really want to hear what some benefits will be or changes I will notice if I go to RO.

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that when tested tap water will not register on my phosphate tester. Also the city that my water comes from claims to have the cleanest tap in Michigan and cleaner than most bottled companies.

You must be on the west side.. Live in Flint and we get Detroit water.. my ro filter went bad, I had hair algea out the kalamazoo, i mean wazzooo. :hammer:

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that when tested tap water will not register on my phosphate tester. Also the city that my water comes from claims to have the cleanest tap in Michigan and cleaner than most bottled companies.

You must be on the west side.. Live in Flint and we get Detroit water.. my ro filter went bad, I had hair algea out the kalamazoo, i mean wazzooo. :hammer:

EASTSIDE.....holla!!!

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the only added benefit of using RO water other than clarity is if you want to keep sps which can be more sensitive to water conditions. For an LPS, zoa and paly tank I wouldn't think tap water should be too bad, especially if your water is as clean as your city claims. You're tank looks like it's thriving so congrats and welcome to Club-Zoa! :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back