I have spilled a glass of soured milk into an invert quarantine. PLease advise

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milk ingredients = water, fats, proteins, natural sugar, natural bacteria, enriched VitA+D..... I really dont think it's an immediate toxin to your tank

Off the internet
20200726_122955.jpg

Wet Skim
Filter sock
50% WC

.....I'm more interested in the back story on how it all happened

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately 40l quarantine, about 50ml of old milk. Tank water is qcloudy, nassarious very active. Carbon has been added, seachem prime and stabiity has been added. Getting ready to do a large water change

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At least 1/2 tank water change and add GOOD grade carbon to the water flow (chemiPure) will work well

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no idea if this is bad or what you should do. That being said I would just scoop the inverts out put them in a bucket or even a cup if its just snails and THEN figure out what to do. Take a scoop of water from your display.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately 40l quarantine, about 50ml of old milk. Tank water is qcloudy, nassarious very active. Carbon has been added, seachem prime and stabiity has been added. Getting ready to do a large water change

Welp,
Let's keep our fingers crossed that the spilled milk is non-toxic.

Otherwise:
For inverts, I'd be testing to see if your nitrates stay low.

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone - nothing *seems* dead so I’m hoping that a few more WC’s and I can stop panicking (maybe)

for those who want to know it’a not quite the thrilling horror story you’ll be expecting. My invert QT is a flat under bed storage box in the floor next to my nightstand. I had a glass of milk the stewed on my nightstand for two nights (sorry..). Got some new inverts to add to it, Lid comes off and I start acclimatising. Between adding water I decide to clean up ... la Dee daa I spill the glass of milk all over the table, carpet, quarantine and behind the night stand . So now I’ve got some cloudy water and snails, a room smelling off spoiled milk And a hatred of life

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the milk would be toxic, but to be on the safe side do a large water change. I'd be more concerned with a bacterial bloom that could use up all the oxygen. I'd drop an air stone and make sure you have good surface agitation to keep oxygen in the water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back