I have the best set up but all my fish are dead. Why?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this little 5 gallon nano cube. I put in an airstone. I don’t have a filter yet but I’m eating ramen noodles to save up for a HOB. I don’t have a light yet so I just put it under a table lamp. Probably will be growing some beautiful SPS or SSP or whatever those colorful stick corals are.

I put a sailfin tang, 2 male wrasses, a kole tang and 2 maroon clowns. I don’t have any fish food other than some goldfish flakes that are leftover from when I wrecked my goldfish tank 5 years ago. (RIP Earl and Goldilocks) So my question is: why do my fish keep dying?

Don’t ask me to post parameters. They were record-winning parameters 2 months ago.

I’m off to my LFS to get a pair of triggers and maybe a yellow tang. Probably get one of those cool sea apples as well. Time to restock this bad boy.

Happy April 1st everyone.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recycle your toilet water to the tank, your stuff is dying bc the lack of nutrients... Nooby mistake.
Rookie mistake with my old toilet set up. Each flush equals a 100% water change.
2F680ACC-956F-49DA-B18D-CA2072B8C490.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like your set up. May I suggest adding a sockeye salmon to your stocking list. I heard they are great algae eaters.
gotta jump in here ,food too

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you get one of them Mongolian taimen, the shark should have a hard time with those.

“Parameters are good”...you didn’t test your water now did you. How freaking hard is it...and why lie about it?!?!?! Haha
You’re right. I lied about my parameters. I just use those little paper strips and just pretend that whatever number I come up with is best.

alk is 4
Ca is 100 something
pH think of a good number and that’s it.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy another. There are plenty of fish in the sea. The bigger problem is the algae. Must have the “sockeye CUC”
I like the way you role. Every time I lose a fish just buy another. Problem solved.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dosing w what you are currently drinking?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
still thinkin like a southern good ol boy,posted 12:00 am cst ,caught that scott ;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
check my build moving along

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way you role. Every time I lose a fish just buy another. Problem solved.
Look man. We are talking about algae! Not fish! Just because you have an awesome tank that’s totally fits everything you could ever want in it, you still have to worry about algae! What if you see it? Then you have to look at it with your eyes. And anyone else that looks at it will also have to possibly see that algae with their eyes. You can’t have that. I just ordered you 15 sockeye salmon fry. They will be there in the morning. Hope your home. Who cares about the fish we need you to have a zero algae tank.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look man. We are talking about algae! Not fish! Just because you have an awesome tank that’s totally fits everything you could ever want in it, you still have to worry about algae! What if you see it? Then you have to look at it with your eyes. And anyone else that looks at it will also have to possibly see that algae with their eyes. You can’t have that. I just ordered you 15 sockeye salmon fry. They will be there in the morning. Hope your home. Who cares about the fish we need you to have a zero algae tank.
No worries. In 2 weeks it will completely covered in coralline algae and I’ll be the keynote speaker at MACNA every year.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"DIZZY RAY"

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back