I have three ideas to finish stocking my 32g, please provide input!

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 32g that's been up and running for about six months now, though it only got its first fishy inhabitant in August. It currently has three occupants at the moment - two Ocellaris clownfish, and a very tiny "yellow" watchman goby (that isn't yellow at all). Trying to decide which of these three is best in terms of finishing stocking:

Plan 1:
- Firefish
- Royal Gramma
- Tail Spot Blenny

Plan 2:
- A small flasher wrasse, either McCosker's or Carpenter
- Tail Spot Blenny

Plan 3:
- A dwarf angel, either Flameback or Cherub
- Tail Spot Blenny

I have concerns with all three tbh. On 1, I'm worried that 6 fish is a lot, and that the firefish may hide or be bullied by the gramma/clownfish. For plan 2, I'm worried whether the flasher wrasse can be okay in a 32 gallon. I've heard varying size requirements. Thoughts? And for plan three, I'm worried the angel may nip at my coral. I have a Duncan and some zoas atm, and plan on adding acans, scolys, frogspawn, and gsp in the near future, and hopefully some SPS further down the road. I also could use some coral suggestions :)

Also, if any has any better stocking suggestions, let me know! I'm very open to ideas. They just have to fit in a 32g, be peaceful, and reef/invert safe. I have multiple kinds of shrimp as well.

Here's the tank to give you on idea on stuff:

727F903E-C685-4E9F-998D-4F80ED6DEFBD.jpeg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 32g that's been up and running for about six months now, though it only got its first fishy inhabitant in August. It currently has three occupants at the moment - two Ocellaris clownfish, and a very tiny "yellow" watchman goby (that isn't yellow at all). Trying to decide which of these three is best in terms of finishing stocking:

Plan 1:
- Firefish
- Royal Gramma
- Tail Spot Blenny

Plan 2:
- Tail Spot Blenny

Plan 3:
- Tail Spot Blenny

I have concerns with all three tbh. On 1, I'm worried that 6 fish is a lot, and that the firefish may hide or be bullied by the gramma/clownfish. For plan 2, I'm worried whether the flasher wrasse can be okay in a 32 gallon. I've heard varying size requirements. Thoughts? And for plan three, I'm worried the angel may nip at my coral. I have a Duncan and some zoas at, and plan on adding acans, scolys, frogspawn, and gsp in the near future, and hopefully some SPS further down the road. I also could use some coral suggestions :)

Also, if any has any better stocking suggestions, let me know! I'm very open to ideas. They just have to fit in a 32g, be peaceful, and reef/invert safe. I have multiple kinds of shrimp as well.

I think with the rock-work* you could do 3-5 ish depending on the sizes. So if you did the first plan I think you could do two of those total in it or a couple other small fish. Personally I’d say it depends on the rock work rather than the DT gallons. All three plans sound great though I’d just get what you want over the number and statistical issues

Last edited:
OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the Rockwell you could do 3-5 ish depending on the sizes. So if you did the first plan I think you could do two of those total in it or a couple other small fish. Personally I’d say it depends on the rock work rather than the DT gallons. All three plans sound great though I’d just get what you want over the number and statistical issues
What do you mean by rockwell?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plan 1:
- Firefish
- Royal Gramma
- Tail Spot Blenny

Plan 2:
- Tail Spot Blenny

Plan 3:
- Tail Spot Blenny

I have concerns with all three tbh. On 1, I'm worried that 6 fish is a lot, and that the firefish may hide or be bullied by the gramma/clownfish. For plan 2, I'm worried whether the flasher wrasse can be okay in a 32 gallon. I've heard varying size requirements. Thoughts? And for plan three, I'm worried the angel may nip at my coral. I have a Duncan and some zoas atm, and plan on adding acans, scolys, frogspawn, and gsp in the near future, and hopefully some SPS further down the road. I also could use some coral suggestions :)

Go with the mix of 1 and 3

Dwarf angel, Tail Spot Blenny and royal gamma. Maybe add a fire fish.

This works if you have plenty of hiding places.
What corals do you plan to have?
Not like I am an expert but just out of interest

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch the blenny and dartfish combo, my midas became a huge bully and the dartfish would never come out, I have no experience with twin spot but have read several accounts the same for blennies and dartfish.

Consider Trimma gobies from biota bc they have very little social impact and can coexist with most your choices most likely , I have two and do really like them and perfect in 32 (I have a 32g)!

Clown gobies are also a peaceful option, or yasha or shrimp gobies are super popular in nanos

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch the blenny and dartfish combo, my midas became a huge bully and the dartfish would never come out, I have no experience with twin spot but have read several accounts the same for blennies and dartfish.

Consider Trimma gobies from biota bc they have very little social impact and can coexist with most your choices most likely , I have two and do really like them and perfect in 32 (I have a 32g)!

Clown gobies are also a peaceful option, or yasha or shrimp gobies are super popular in nanos
Thanks! I've heard the tail spot is pretty peaceful. Their max size is less than half that of the midas (2.5 vs 6 in). Willing to change things if aggression is an issue though.

And I actually do have a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp. Super cool combo!

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish: NOOO they're never out, I barely ever see mine, total waste of valuable fish tank space.

Tail Spot Blenny: Excellent for eating algae and won't bother your YWG.

Royal Gramma: Nice fish but everyone has them.

Wrasse: You'd have to go with a Pink Stripe for that size tank, but nice active fish.

Angel: NOOO tanks too small (IMO) and they always have problems.

Other options

Black Cap Basslet: Beautiful, active fish, love mine.

Piston Shrimp: Obviously to pair with YWG.

BRS recommendation: Get a small Yellow Tang, he'll munch algae like a champ and keep your tank nice and clean. Of course, when they get big enough you'll have to re-home them because your tank is too small. I've done this with my Reefer 170 (34g) and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck!!

Danco1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish: NOOO they're never out, I barely ever see mine, total waste of valuable fish tank space.

Wrasse: You'd have to go with a Pink Stripe for that size tank, but nice active fish.

Other options

BRS recommendation: Get a small Yellow Tang, he'll munch algae like a champ and keep your tank nice and clean. Of course, when they get big enough you'll have to re-home them because your tank is too small. I've done this with my Reefer 170 (34g) and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck!!
What’s your stocking? I have a reefer 179 and am trying to figure out what to do.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other options

Good luck!!

My newish firefish is the opposite of this, it only hid the afternoon it was added to my QT, after that it is nearly always in the water column hanging with my fairy wrasse, its actually more brave than the wrasse, if I go right up to the tank, the firefish will check me out, and the wrasse will hide.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fit a coral beauty or flame angel jn that tank no problem. I had a coral beauty in my 32 and he did great. Heater malfunction eventually took him out but he never bothered my coral and did a good job of algea control.

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what you got with plan 1 in a 30gl tank. plus a few more fish 12 all together. plus a mix reef. 6 months old with a HOB refume. No aggression . also get a pistol shrimp for YWG, He will be much happier.

Davos2911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a fluval flex 32 gallon. I currently have ni colour angel 6 line wrasse 2 clowns a lobster and about 10 trochis snails. All doing well. Angel is a bit of a bully and stressed out a couple of additions which didnt make it. I think more rockwork will be key. The angel nipped my zoas initially but seem fine now. The angel also steals food off my lobster so they need to be watched.

Attachments

• IMG_20210114_230231_030.jpg
    IMG_20210114_230231_030.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20201231_124112_345.jpg
    IMG_20201231_124112_345.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201219_093426.mp4
    75.1 MB

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back