I have Uronema in a QT tank, what is the best approach?

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal, Humble Fish, and all the other experts here - Here is a good one!​

I did a DNA test with https://aquabiomics.com/ to make sure I was doing QT correctly. I have several QT tanks with fish for my new 112 gallon. To my surprise the QT tank with the Lyretail Anthias, which had Uronema and I have been activally treating for over the last 60 days did not have any in the tank. Other QT tanks with tangs in them did. As a preventive I have been feeding all the fish with Focus and General Cure. The QT with the Anthias has had a UV and skimmer on it. The other not. Could the UV on the Anthias tank have eradicated the Uronema? Should I do to UV and Metroplex dosing on the other tanks and re-test for Uronema? No fish in any QT shows any sign of any parasite.

What would be the best approach to eradication of Uronema in the QT? Forumlin dip? Another round of Copper? Should I just live with Uronema in my displays and introduce the fish, knowing that I would be spreading it if I ever give away coral or anything? I don't like that option. I've come this far to be completly parisite free, I can go the distance.

Should I be suspect of the Anthias results? They came from the same supplier and I lost several in 3 different batches before I built a schol of 8. They are all happy now and are over 60 days in QT with no signs of and parasite.

All my display tanks came back parasite free, except one that has Vibrio fortis and Photobacterium damselae. Apparently these are common and may not be worth worrying about. I'd like to hear thoughts on this ( I do have some Green Cromis in this tank that are about 1 1/2 years in the tank.)

But the good news is: No Ick, Velvet, Brook, Uronema, etc in any display tanks!

Erick

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I generally recommend quick cure but starting with a 60-90 minute bath in ruby rally pro. Once in QT, it is very important to do followup treatment to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and food soaking metronidazole (Seachem Metroplex) for 10 days.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally recommend quick cure but starting with a 60-90 minute bath in ruby rally pro. Once in QT, it is very important to do followup treatment to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and food soaking metronidazole (Seachem Metroplex) for 10 days.
The QT tanks that have tested for Uronema have followed this precise QT protocol. They were not dipped at the beginning of the protocol, but I have decided to add a Prazi dip to the beginning of QT for all future fish.

Do you think I should re-start these on the QT calendar with the Prazi dip at the beginning? Then send them out for DNA testing again next month?

Quarantine Calendar-Modified.jpg

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a tank have Uronema in to, but fish not be infected with it? Could a simple tank transfer of fish from an infected tank through a formulin bath to a clean, sterile QT tank and dosing with Metroplex be a good solution before moving fish that have gone through QT?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a tank have Uronema in to, but fish not be infected with it? Could a simple tank transfer of fish from an infected tank through a formulin bath to a clean, sterile QT tank and dosing with Metroplex be a good solution before moving fish that have gone through QT?
Hi,

Well, as they say, "It's complicated"! Uronema really needs to be written as "cf. Uronema". The cf. means "like". There are a variety of protozoans that cannot be identified to species, but which have similar activity in aquariums. Telling them apart requires a microscope, as well as the knowledge to tell them apart. I don't have the latter, so I go with the evaluating the gross visual symptoms, and then hoping for the best (many protozoans have the same effective treatments).

I've not used that company's services, so I can't comment on their results. Personally, I've identified "cf. Uronema" by hanging a piece of dead fish in the tank for a day, and then evaluating it for the presence of similar motile protozoans under the microscope.

Have you seen my article on Uronema here? If not, here is the link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

To answer your question though - YES Uronema is present in many aquariums, with no acute disease symptoms seen in the fish. However, Uronema often shows up in newly acquired Chromis, Wrasse, and Anthias. In some cases, a bad infections can spread from them to other fish. Normally though, once the affected fish have passed, the issue simmers down. Eradicating it completely from a tank is probably not possible.

I've had some limited success treating Uronema with chloroquine, but copper, metronidazole and praziquantel has not had any benefit for me. Seadragons get Uronema, and formalin can help with that, but Uronema in those fish seems to be more external. With typical reef fish, the Uronema is seen as inter-cellular, and no in-water treatment can really get down into the muscle tissue to help with that.

Jay

Jay

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Well, as they say, "It's complicated"! Uronema really needs to be written as "cf. Uronema". The cf. means "like". There are a variety of protozoans that cannot be identified to species, but which have similar activity in aquariums. Telling them apart requires a microscope, as well as the knowledge to tell them apart. I don't have the latter, so I go with the evaluating the gross visual symptoms, and then hoping for the best (many protozoans have the same effective treatments).

I've not used that company's services, so I can't comment on their results. Personally, I've identified "cf. Uronema" by hanging a piece of dead fish in the tank for a day, and then evaluating it for the presence of similar motile protozoans under the microscope.

To answer your question though - YES Uronema is present in many aquariums, with no acute disease symptoms seen in the fish. However, Uronema often shows up in newly acquired Chromis, Wrasse, and Anthias. In some cases, a bad infections can spread from them to other fish. Normally though, once the affected fish have passed, the issue simmers down. Eradicating it completely from a tank is probably not possible.

I've had some limited success treating Uronema with chloroquine, but copper, metronidazole and praziquantel has not had any benefit for me. Seadragons get Uronema, and formalin can help with that, but Uronema in those fish seems to be more external. With typical reef fish, the Uronema is seen as inter-cellular, and no in-water treatment can really get down into the muscle tissue to help with that.

Jay

Jay
Thank you. I have read the article, many, many times over. I do have a microscope and would love to learn to identify this think in a tank with it. I wish I could learn to do that: (Hint, Hint, an article with those instructions would be soooooooo cool!)

Erick

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Jay

Jay
Jay,

I am in the process of acquiring chloroquine. I should have it next week at the latest. No fish are exhibiting any symptoms. When dosing what will give me the best chance of success? A tank transfer to a "sterile", cycled tank first?

Erick

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back