I hear Pulsing Xenia can't live in a tank with 0 nitrates. Is that true?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tank with just a few little frags and 0 nitrates. Someone is giving me some pulsing Xenia. Could it die? I thought it was bulletproof.

Mterry9239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you put it somewhere its not gonna run all over your rocks. I put a 3 head frag in my tank 3 months ago and wow has it grown and spread all over. I'm going to have to frag some and control the direction of its growth. Its somewhat of a nuisance tbh.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could say the same as everyone else but honestly my Xenia I’ve had it for about 1 to 2 years and it never really grew out of control and I’ve always wanted it to...however it did almost die in the summer to die not having an AC in my room and after I fixed the problem it came to life but is growing pretty slow I would say! I would ask for tips on how to grown them but everyone seems to have the opposite problem..anyway they are a good coral and I think they’ll be fine eventually you’ll have nitrates

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could say the same as everyone else but honestly my Xenia I’ve had it for about 1 to 2 years and it never really grew out of control and I’ve always wanted it to...however it did almost die in the summer to die not having an AC in my room and after I fixed the problem it came to life but is growing pretty slow I would say! I would ask for tips on how to grown them but everyone seems to have the opposite problem..anyway they are a good coral and I think they’ll be fine

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, mine grows like a weed. Nitrates are zero.
I have no nitrates and grows pretty well. I had a tank 15-20 years ago for ten years and it always melted. the tanks were set up the same just about... I beleive that tank had nitrates. But understanding testing, e.g., alkalinity, back then was a bit less understood in my area.. ((proudly) hickville Maine)

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could say the same as everyone else but honestly my Xenia I’ve had it for about 1 to 2 years and it never really grew out of control and I’ve always wanted it to...however it did almost die in the summer to die not having an AC in my room and after I fixed the problem it came to life but is growing pretty slow I would say! I would ask for tips on how to grown them but everyone seems to have the opposite problem..anyway they are a good coral and I think they’ll be fine

Keep your water parameters very stable, including alkalinity, match water change water well, and it should grow well. IME its changes that Xenia does not like.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tank with just a few little frags and 0 nitrates. Someone is giving me some pulsing Xenia. Could it die? I thought it was bulletproof.

I had mine survive 6 days in the sun out on my pool deck. When I transferred tanks during a move I had some ugly rock I didn't use until I decided to create a base for another rock island. After six days of drying I put it in the tank and not even 1 week later it started coming alive all along the back of the rock where it originally was.

Ultra low nutrients, it has flourished. Soaking it in Kalk, comes right back. Very hard to kill this stuff; It's even growth through putty.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Keep your water parameters very stable, including alkalinity, match water change water well, and it should grow well. IME its changes that Xenia does not like.

It definitely doesn't like changes. I had a huge patch growing in my old 180, one apparently mismatched water change and the whole patch just melted. Totally caught me by surprise.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back