I just cant keep my rocks clean for the life of me

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano grows on dead and dying hair algae or it kills it. The solution is sea urchins eating the hair algae.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will appreciate having a sump...

This was after about 30 seconds of running the new skimmer.
D7252913-C72A-4BB7-B0F0-B9B0E4003773.jpeg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the water that you purchase which may very well have elevated levels. Add also a pouch of chemipure elite which will keep nitrate and Phos in check and also add some snails:
Cerith
margarita
astrea
trochus
turbo

and about 6-8 blue leg hermit crabs
I just got quite a few nassarius. Are those not a good choice? I heard they are good at keeping the sandbed clean. I know that astrea never did anything but stay in the same spot on my glass for days and days when I used to have them. I quit buying for that reason. I have a few cerith and a turbo and the rest nassarius and hermits.

I am having the same problem with stringy algae. I think I had dinos from o nutrients then I believe that changed over to something different. I hadvt done a water change in 3 weeks and when I vacuumed the sand bed tonight and blew of the corals it released a ton of stingy stuff, before it was slimy and couldnt vacuum because it would clog the hose very fast so I had to use a turkey baster and get it out little by little! Very time consuming. Its funny though because I dint realize until I vacumed today that it had changed so much (because it looked the same on the sand bed) I expected it to clog which it did after a while from it being stringy whereas before it clogged immediately and was a huge mat of slime. Didn't look slimy until you tried to get it up.

I did a chemiclean treatment and didnt seem to do anything but maybe it changed it to whatever it is now, I just assumed raising nutrients did. Its still a pain because it killed my corals that were on sand bed. I just tonight realized maybe because the flow is lower down there that they were being smothered without me really being able to see it.

Sorry I didnt mean to hijack post I just meant to ask about the snails! haha

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a frag rack. Put the coral on a rack.
Drain the tank. Save the sw. Move the tank off the wall. Replace sw. Get a good hefty cuc like urchin and get a good skimmer. Do the small periotic wcs to help balance and keep stable. Same temp and salinity.
D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got quite a few nassarius. Are those not a good choice? I heard they are good at keeping the sandbed clean. I know that astrea never did anything but stay in the same spot on my glass for days and days when I used to have them. I quit buying for that reason. I have a few cerith and a turbo and the rest nassarius and hermits.

I am having the same problem with stringy algae. I think I had dinos from o nutrients then I believe that changed over to something different. I hadvt done a water change in 3 weeks and when I vacuumed the sand bed tonight and blew of the corals it released a ton of stingy stuff, before it was slimy and couldnt vacuum because it would clog the hose very fast so I had to use a turkey baster and get it out little by little! Very time consuming. Its funny though because I dint realize until I vacumed today that it had changed so much (because it looked the same on the sand bed) I expected it to clog which it did after a while from it being stringy whereas before it clogged immediately and was a huge mat of slime. Didn't look slimy until you tried to get it up.

I did a chemiclean treatment and didnt seem to do anything but maybe it changed it to whatever it is now, I just assumed raising nutrients did. Its still a pain because it killed my corals that were on sand bed. I just tonight realized maybe because the flow is lower down there that they were being smothered without me really being able to see it.

Sorry I didnt mean to hijack post I just meant to ask about the snails! haha
Cerith and margarita are better workers.,
You still have Dino?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back