I just cant keep my rocks clean for the life of me

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven fish, I thought it was 5?

You need more nutrient export than you currently have. And it will take time with dead rock. Pray, and then invest in equipment.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doable with a tempered glass rimmed pentagon tank? Do I need to find a way to get a skimmer and a refugium under the tank?
Got a shot of the full tank and current cannister plumbing? There should be ways to do this without drilling holes in the tank.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a shot of the full tank and current cannister plumbing? There should be ways to do this without drilling holes in the tank.
20210222_195925.jpg

20210222_195934.jpg

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven fish, I thought it was 5?

You need more nutrient export than you currently have. And it will take time with dead rock. Pray, and then invest in equipment.
Serious question, let's say I yank all the dead rock and do a full replacement with live rock. Good idea?

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any recommendations for a better nutrient export system that would be compatible with my tempered rimmed tank? I've seen a HOB skimmer and algae refugium, any brands you'd recommend? Budget probably isn't a concern to me at this point, over the pest algae.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question, let's say I yank all the dead rock and do a full replacement with live rock. Good idea?
No, that could easily cause more problems than you will solve. Be patient and the evil will pass.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any recommendations for a better nutrient export system that would be capitals with my tempered rimmed tank? I've seen a HOB skimmer and algae refugium, any brands you'd recommend? Budget probably isn't a concern to me at this point, over the pest algae.
You should upgrade the whole setup. It's in your future!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By adding a small amount of live rock the dry rock will become the same as the live rock. The bacteria and everything else will populate on the old dry rock.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should upgrade the whole setup. It's in your future!
Only one major issue with that route even though I've been saying that for 2 months. The wife lol. I want to upgrade to a 4' tank with nice plumbing and everything under trust me. I just gotta work with what I got right now.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is the rim? If you can fit a HOB overflow box on the side of the bookshelf where u currently has the heater, then you can run that down to under the tank where it look like you should have room for a 5 to 10G tank to DIY a sump/fuge.

If you can't figure out a way to run a hob overflow box. Then wat you can do is, keep your canister, remove the mechanical filtration (or keep it, doesn't matter at this point since algae reactor will control no3 absorption) , plumb an algae reactor next to it, connect the canister out to the reactor in, and connect reactor out to the tank return line.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need flow. Rock is your bio, Ehiem is mechanical only. Don't run Eheim more than 21-25 days, take it out clean and leave out for a week and go again. Need a lot of flow around rooks structures.
I have two powerheads that whip up a fierce current in there. I will say there's something to what you are saying though because the areas that have the most flow do not have the gha issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back