I just joined today and I need help for my purple tang

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got a purple tang and today I notice a white grain on her fin. Not sure if it is a fluke or a type of copepods. I need help don’t know what to do. I have attached some pictures of it.
Thank you

2602821E-CD07-4FBC-B46F-9EB36EEBF204.jpeg 18176370-3471-409C-9E1E-2D0318DC10F2.jpeg

Hi!

In looking over your images - the small white powder-like dots aren't there in real life, right? The only issues are the big white spot on its left pectoral(side) fin and the caudal(tail) fin?

My first thought was Lymphocystis. While it could be that, the spots look too bright white and smooth to me. Lymphocystis is usually grayish and lumpy. You may know about this - if it is Lymphocystis, it is a viral disease and there is no treatment, but the fish will get better in 8 weeks or so.

Some background info would be helpful:
How long have you had the tang?
Did the spots show up all at once, or did they grow gradually?

Jay

OP
OP
C

cubana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

In looking over your images - the small white powder-like dots aren't there in real life, right? The only issues are the big white spot on its left pectoral(side) fin and the caudal(tail) fin?

My first thought was Lymphocystis. While it could be that, the spots look too bright white and smooth to me. Lymphocystis is usually grayish and lumpy. You may know about this - if it is Lymphocystis, it is a viral disease and there is no treatment, but the fish will get better in 8 weeks or so.

Some background info would be helpful:
How long have you had the tang?
Did the spots show up all at once, or did they grow gradually?

Jay

thank you so much for the information. The tail is fine it is just a spot on the glass.

and the one on the fin it looks like some little bug attached to it, happened from the night to the morning.

Do you think is the same as you described?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every think of getting a Fire Shrimp? When my fish get a parasite on them, they go up to the Fire Shrimp, and the Fire Shrimp eats the parasite. Cool symbiotic relationship.

74C7B2A6-CF43-4AF7-8237-F9F250D4BFE2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe these are flukes.
In a clean pail or bucket, give it a freshwater dip 4-5 mins in same temperature water as your display tank. Return it to display tank after and look on bottom of bucket for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you can see them- Theyre flukes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for the information. The tail is fine it is just a spot on the glass.

and the one on the fin it looks like some little bug attached to it, happened from the night to the morning.

No, it doesn’t sound like lymphocystis then. Copepods do show up from time to time, but are rarely fatal. They are so tough, that virtually any treatment that kills them would kill the fish. You might be able to dislodge it with a freshwater dip as @vetteguy53081 suggested.
Parasitic copepods usually have a nauplii larval stage. They don’t grow well in home aquariums, so the disease usually doesn’t spread.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, I forgot - I posted an article here on Arthropod fish parasites. It is a PDF download. I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you but you might want to check it out.
Jay

OP
OP
C

cubana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these are flukes.
In a clean pail or bucket, give it a freshwater dip 4-5 mins in same temperature water as your display tank. Return it to display tank after and look on bottom of bucket for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you can see them- Theyre flukes.
I think you are right, she is being very difficult to catch, so I don’t want to put more stress on her. Do you think a cleaner wrasse will do the job?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

parasitic isopod perhaps?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think you are right, she is being very difficult to catch, so I don’t want to put more stress on her. Do you think a cleaner wrasse will do the job?
No. Attempt to catch it after tank is dark. You may get one shot before it catches on to your intentions.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got a purple tang and today I notice a white grain on her fin. Not sure if it is a fluke or a type of copepods. I need help don’t know what to do. I have attached some pictures of it.
Thank you

2602821E-CD07-4FBC-B46F-9EB36EEBF204.jpeg 18176370-3471-409C-9E1E-2D0318DC10F2.jpeg
Welcome!!! Hope you get your tang fixed up soon!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

Welcome!

Glad you joined and glad you've already gotten some amazing advice from knowledgeable people here on website. Regarding catching - I'm a believer in fish traps. There are lots of DIY instructions online if you search, but I've got both medium and large IceCap Fish Traps - LOVE them - they are a pain to setup initially with paper peel off the acrylic - and most LFS near me didn't have any in stock so I had to wait shipping, but they do work awesome (why I have two sizes). Let fish miss a meal, then put their food inside whatever trap you are using and in they go! Keep us posted - sending healing thoughts to your fish

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back