I just learned I’m supposed to use an adherent to attach my frags to my live rock. I’ve been using a different method

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the entire time I’ve been reefing, I have been setting my frags in the most stable locations on my live rock without using any adherent. I just started two new pico builds, one has a protopalythoa Zooanthid that seems a little stressed sometimes but also seems happy at others and isn’t growing or shrinking. No new polyps after about 3 weeks, which I don’t know is normal growth rate for this strain.
I placed this red zooanthid frag with a faint green on the inner part of the polyp into a deep pore in the live rock. It seems to have attached inside the pore and occasionally retreats down into the pore but can also extend its stalk up and open its polyps to suck in the light.
The problem with this is that the pore does not seem have the space for the zooanthid to grow new polyps so I am afraid I stunted its growth.
My other tank has a pulsing Xenia frag that I just leaned against the live rock. The Xenia was fine at first then started to shrink. It seemed to be trying to move with its sweepers at night to be more onto the live rock, but now the Xenia isn’t pulsing, shrinking, and looks pale steadily worse every day. But this might be due to my ~ 0 nitrate level and low nutrient level in general. I’ve been adding pods and dried seaweed to try and raise nutrient levels. It is possible the large amounts of green filamentous macroalgae are out competing the Xenia for nutrients.
any thoughts or advice?
image.jpg
73D5A1E3-706A-48A5-8B4E-C67E9D747147.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m following you, you are concerned that your manner of placing down your corals is causing them to decline. Are you saying that you are tearing them off their plugs, to poke them directly into holes in the rock? Because if all you are saying is you’re not ‘gluing’ your plugs down— I hardly think the corals know whether their plugs are glued down, or they aren’t. I’d search for another reason the corals aren’t doing well.

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I never removed the coral from the the frag, just placed the corals in a spot where the live rock around them would hold them in place. I think my pulsing Xenia don’t have enough nutrients.

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m following you, you are concerned that your manner of placing down your corals is causing them to decline. Are you saying that you are tearing them off their plugs, to poke them directly into holes in the rock? Because if all you are saying is you’re not ‘gluing’ your plugs down— I hardly think the corals know whether their plugs are glued down, or they aren’t. I’d search for another reason the corals aren’t doing well.
The Zoa were set on the top of the live and they settled into a pore of the live rock and are holding their own. The Xenia tried to climb off their frag rock for the first couple days onto the live rock until they stopped pulsing. Adding pods and some more live rock to the Xenia to try and increase nutrient levels because they are quite low now

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't glue frags down generally. I doubt that's the issue. nutrients might be on track. What are the numbers and what tests did you use? Also what type of light?
I have a pair of LED lights that came with an old aquarium, as well as a Senzeal M3 Aquarius aquarium fish tank light US 5W 12 LED fan shaped aquarium planted clip lamp 600 LM for 4-10 inch fish tank white lighting for both of my pick tanks. The only the tank with the Xenia is struggling. I’ll show you how they are installed. Both aquariums have -~ 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites. I haven’t don’t a phosphate test recently because I know Xenia need some nitrates more than phosphate, but I do know phosphates hover around 0.1-0.4ppm despite water changes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Zoa were set on the top of the live and they settled into a pore of the live rock and are holding their own. The Xenia tried to climb off their frag rock for the first couple days onto the live rock until they stopped pulsing. Adding pods and some more live rock to the Xenia to try and increase nutrient levels because they are quite low now
My other concern is that my Zoas will never be able to spread beyond the pore they have settled in because there is no room for them to expand laterally because there are secured in a hole that just fits two polyps. I am not familiar with Zoa reproduction but from what I have read Zoas spread out like a mat, which they would be unable to do in their current position.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zoas and palys (those look like palys) sprout new babies at the base of older polyps and grow those babies larger, attaching to the rock and spreading outward as they go. They should be able to get out of that hole, though it might take them a bit. If tight spaces stopped zoa growth, they'd never get anywhere.

Pods and seaweed won't increase nutrients. To increase nutrients, stop doing water changes for now, and feed everything that wants to be fed, as much as it will eat. If that's still not doing the trick, dose nutrients directly, from bottles. You generally want a minimum of 5ppm nitrates, more for many soft corals, and you want no less than 0.03ppm phosphates.

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas and palys (those look like palys) sprout new babies at the base of older polyps and grow those babies larger, attaching to the rock and spreading outward as they go. They should be able to get out of that hole, though it might take them a bit. If tight spaces stopped zoa growth, they'd never get anywhere.

Pods and seaweed won't increase nutrients. To increase nutrients, stop doing water changes for now, and feed everything that wants to be fed, as much as it will eat. If that's still not doing the trick, dose nutrients directly, from bottles. You generally want a minimum of 5ppm nitrates, more for many soft corals, and you want no less than 0.03ppm phosphates.
You are right they are palys. I can be patient! I was recommended iodine supplementation for both the palys and Xenia, should I opt for that or find something like reef roid?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Iodine supplementation is for when your tank doesn't have much iodine, it does nothing to nutrients.

Reef roids are a good food for corals, but not all corals will eat. To try to feed them, put a little reef roids in a couple drops of water, suck it up into a pipette, and put it directly on the corals with the pumps off. If the coral will eat reef roids, it'll curl around the food.

If you don't have a fish, you should probably get a fish. They're a good way to add some nutrients, and will prevent amphipods from multiplying too much.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other concern is that my Zoas will never be able to spread beyond the pore they have settled in because there is no room for them to expand laterally because there are secured in a hole that just fits two polyps. I am not familiar with Zoa reproduction but from what I have read Zoas spread out like a mat, which they would be unable to do in their current position.

They will definitely expand. A hole isn't going to stop them. In fact, I would say they may even be an invasive fast growing kind if water and light are in their favor.

I would probably get better lighting (better spectrum). A par 30/38 is fine for a pico and pretty cheap. The ABI Tuna Blue is popular for vases and Amazon has pic's of people's pico reefs under it.

Watch heat with the Xenia, sometimes they don't like it and melt.

I would not add fish to what looks like to be a vase, be careful with coral feeding. Reef roids is extremely easy to overfeed and foul the water in such a tiny pico.

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, yeah, correction: if that tank is at least approaching 5 gallons, a (tiny, suitable) fish could be good. If it's significantly under 5 gallons, maybe a pom-pom crab instead.

Dave2245

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I also agree.

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yeah, correction: if that tank is at least approaching 5 gallons, a (tiny, suitable) fish could be good. If it's significantly under 5 gallons, maybe a pom-pom crab instead.
Every intention of making this a coral invert only tank

OP
OP
K

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will definitely expand. A hole isn't going to stop them. In fact, I would say they may even be an invasive fast growing kind if water and light are in their favor.

I would probably get better lighting (better spectrum). A par 30/38 is fine for a pico and pretty cheap. The ABI Tuna Blue is popular for vases and Amazon has pic's of people's pico reefs under it.

Watch heat with the Xenia, sometimes they don't like it and melt.

I would not add fish to what looks like to be a vase, be careful with coral feeding. Reef roids is extremely easy to overfeed and foul the water in such a tiny pico.
My Xenia pico staying at a steady 78F, maybe a couple occasional excursions to 80 -82 F max for a few hours every few days but now Xenia is about at 77F pretty much constantly , would that melt the Xenia?
Picture is the current shape of the Xenia.
image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back