I just lost $5,000 in aquatic life because I did something stupid

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this happened to you, absolutely devastating. Hope everything works itself out... Sorry for all of your losses, losing one fish is hard but many must be catastrophical. Sorry again.

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please describe “important pillars” in your build. Consider starting a tank thread on that forum. How big is your tank?

In the last two years, I have incorporated sponges as the third leg of biofiltration in my 25 year old tank.

Will do. But it might be a while before I am able to post that novel. I have been working on it for so long that explaining what and why is like trying to describe how to breathe starting with the air sacks in your lungs the short and skinny of it is: pick an ecosystem, get everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) that lives in that ecosystem in your tank. It’s naturally there, so it is a part of what is needed. Everything has a purpose. The San Diego wild animal park figured that out, and that’s why they have the highest captive breeding success rate for what they do.

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I’d also grab several HOB filters as I could fit and run carbon through those as well. I’m currently dealing a much more minor toxin from an irritated leather, my LFS suggested Chemi Pure Elite carbon. It seems to be working well and seems to have a good reputation.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this “give-up” you speak of, it’s not in my vocabulary. some of the inverts/ microbes / macro algae in my system is really not easy to obtain. And it just got a whole lot more difficult. If they don’t pull through I’ll have important pillars in my ecosystem gone that the system was reliant on.
Just really liked when you mentioned this..."I want to breed a variety of specific hard to get species so that the aquarium trade doesn’t continue to have such devastating effects on the oceanic ecosystems. I also want to share and teach my appreciation of the ocean and it’s ecosystems with others. It’s one of my longest and biggest dreams"

Take care

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and learn I did. No cucumbers. Especially with nippy fish. I am not one to give up on the hobby, even though my husband really doesn’t like fish tanks.
What kind of cucumber did you have?Got a picture?

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give you a hug if we were in person, I'm very sorry for your loss. You probably bring one of the more catastrophic tank crashes I've seen. For now just let the tank heal, and in the process let yourself heal.

JAIME_MTY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, something similar happened to me with sea apple. Lost over 30 fish.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also puffers do not puff and release toxins. I wonder if you might have just added way too many critters into a tank that wasn't ready for them and everything went downhill from there...

I'm always suspect of a first post with so much drama. hmmm

It's not an inconceivable source of tanks crashing, many people have had catastrophic crashes from sea cucumbers and cowfish. I doubt the puffers were major contributors to toxin release, one good size cucumber in a crowded environment is plenty enough. This one was stocked to the point that when something like this happens it can't be stopped as easily.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the tank. I hate to say this, but that is a lot of live stock for that size of a tank... I don’t want to be the bad guy here, but I had to look at your pictures and your livestock list like 4 times to ensure I was reading it correctly. Not a lot of room for error there. Keep your head up. This hobby is challenging.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an inconceivable source of tanks crashing, many people have had catastrophic crashes from sea cucumbers and cowfish. I doubt the puffers were major contributors to toxin release, one good size cucumber in a crowded environment is plenty enough. This one was stocked to the point that when something like this happens it can't be stopped as easily.
I didn't say it was inconceivable, I just saw some inconsistencies and wanted to ask more questions. Most sea cucumbers get a bad rap when most of them do not poison tanks. So I asked what kind it was.

Another possibility that's isn't inconceivable is that a ton of fish were added at once and the water chemistry tanked.

I don't know, just wanted to get to the bottom of it so the op doesn't go ordering a bunch more fish all at once, minus one cucumber, and having this happen again

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct. I have had quite a few Valentini puffers in previous tanks. I have seen what puffer toxins do to a tank. And what the behavior of the fish that happens to get a blast of it. So I do know that that is what happened.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back