I Just Ordered Two (2) 150-Gallon Tanks From "Glass Cages" To Double The Fun! (Back-Story And New-Build Journey Here) ...

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past two years or so my 'practice tank' was this second-hand, very old-school, Glass Cages frag tank which I modified for use as a shallow FOWLR. {See photos ;)} And when I say "shallow," I mean it. The way the overflow sits in the 12" tank, the water level is only 10" high for the fish. Still, it is a 6-foot tank and has given me a lot of joy. But now on to bigger and better things...

Empty tank IMG_1028.jpg
Filled Tank IMG_1226.jpg

Of course, if you are going to upgrade to two (2) 150-gallon tanks, not to mention the total sump volume of water, you had better plan on a saltwater mixing station, which I have now completed. I literally looked at dozens and dozens of set-ups on R2R, and at first had the hardest time figuring out 'which valve did what?!' In the end I had to just take the plunge, and after tirelessly searching the internet for days, came up with a combination of two 70-gallon tanks that would fit underneath two heavy-duty work benches. I'm not too sure if anyone else has really thought to, or wanted to, go this route-- but it's working for me. There is a convenient place now for a quarantine/hospital tank; and I know my wife is happiest over the fact that I bought an actual cube freezer (ordered from Lowe's) took my fish food out of the kitchen for the first time in years. {See photos}

Fish Room 1 IMG_4842.jpg
Fish room 2 IMG_4841.jpg

So now the 6-week wait begins for a lift-gate truck to pull up with two 60" x 24" x 25" tanks & stand combo from Glass Cages. So far Joe could not have been better to work with, and he gave me an undivided hour of his time yesterday morning-- making sure I would be delighted with the product, price, and service. I'll keep you all posted. Best wishes to everyone out there in R2R Land.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a 96” tank, but as most people may know, 72” is the cut-off (limitation) for home-delivery with a lift-gate truck. So in the end I decided to get two 60” tanks and put them basically side-by-side, since the room can accommodate 120”. (I’ll put them about 6-8” apart to get my hand in between to clean each side’s glass with a magnet.) Both will be a FOWLER— since it’s been proven I have lousy reefing skills!— but I do have a small 20-gallon tank just to dabble with some softies. (LOL!)

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past two years or so my 'practice tank' was this second-hand, very old-school, Glass Cages frag tank which I modified for use as a shallow FOWLR. {See photos ;)} And when I say "shallow," I mean it. The way the overflow sits in the 12" tank, the water level is only 10" high for the fish. Still, it is a 6-foot tank and has given me a lot of joy. But now on to bigger and better things...

Empty tank IMG_1028.jpg
Filled Tank IMG_1226.jpg

Of course, if you are going to upgrade to two (2) 150-gallon tanks, not to mention the total sump volume of water, you had better plan on a saltwater mixing station, which I have now completed. I literally looked at dozens and dozens of set-ups on R2R, and at first had the hardest time figuring out 'which valve did what?!' In the end I had to just take the plunge, and after tirelessly searching the internet for days, came up with a combination of two 70-gallon tanks that would fit underneath two heavy-duty work benches. I'm not too sure if anyone else has really thought to, or wanted to, go this route-- but it's working for me. There is a convenient place now for a quarantine/hospital tank; and I know my wife is happiest over the fact that I bought an actual cube freezer (ordered from Lowe's) took my fish food out of the kitchen for the first time in years. {See photos}

;Cat
Fish Room 1 IMG_4842.jpg
Fish room 2 IMG_4841.jpg

So now the 6-week wait begins for a lift-gate truck to pull up with two 60" x 24" x 25" tanks & stand combo from Glass Cages. So far Joe could not have been better to work with, and he gave me an undivided hour of his time yesterday morning-- making sure I would be delighted with the product, price, and service. I'll keep you all posted. Best wishes to everyone out there in R2R Land.
Excited to follow this, and good to see a lot of his tanks on here! I ordered mine September 1st! So getting closer to the 6 weeks, more like 8 with the shipping I’m thinking tho!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following this one!
What are your fish stocking plans?! So many possibilities with TWO tanks! Also, how would a tank longer than 72” be delivered if a lift gate truck isn’t used? A helicopter and pulley? :D

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following this one!
What are your fish stocking plans?! So many possibilities with TWO tanks! Also, how would a tank longer than 72” be delivered if a lift gate truck isn’t used? A helicopter and pulley? :D
There delivered to the nearest shipping depot , mine is 84 inches so can’t be delivered to the house

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There delivered to the nearest shipping depot , mine is 84 inches so can’t be delivered to the house
And then it’s up to you to figure out how to get it from the shipping depot to your home? If so, how did you go about that? Can’t imagine transporting that much fish tank

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then it’s up to you to figure out how to get it from the shipping depot to your home? If so, how did you go about that? Can’t imagine transporting that much fish tank
Mines still being built, I have a truck, they can just load it in the back for me, in the crate, then I’ll build a ramp from the truck, into my front door (there’s 3 steps at the front of my house) and use furniture dollies

OP
OP
JumboShrimp

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TriggerFinger , @RJKain-777 has it right; They could have delivered to a shipping depot, then getting a 96” home from there is up to the customer. I was even thinking of a 120” shallow tank— maybe only 16-18” tall— but you can imagine the incredible weight logistics of getting a bunch of buddies to help bring that home!

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a 96” tank, but as most people may know, 72” is the cut-off (limitation) for home-delivery with a lift-gate truck. So in the end I decided to get two 60” tanks and put them basically side-by-side, since the room can accommodate 120”. (I’ll put them about 6-8” apart to get my hand in between to clean each side’s glass with a magnet.) Both will be a FOWLER— since it’s been proven I have lousy reefing skills!— but I do have a small 20-gallon tank just to dabble with some softies. (LOL!)

nice! I totally forgot about the 72" max thing. been dreaming of having joe build be there 10' 340.
I really REALLY want a butterfly angel and tang FOWLR... some day.
keep us posted brother so we all can droll.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back