I just picked up a nano tank for 100 bucks. I think I did good.

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys check out this 8 gallon Nano tank I picked up today for 100 dollars. Guy had it with water in it to show light and pump worked and no leaks. I’m brand new to Nano tanks now. So I have a few questions...
1. How do these guys work exactly,
I see 3 slots in the back. Where does the pump go? Do I need to buy any other media for the 3 slots?
2. Do I need to buy anything other Else?
3. How quickly can I get this guy cycled and ready to go? I have established water from my living room 55 gallon tank. I have an RODI maker. I have some unused life rock as well. It was pulled from my main tank about 4 months ago.

Any advice is appreciated.

DFF2AEDF-0BFB-4A28-BBE6-D0CB1D8BED5F.jpeg 9CEEE9AA-98F8-46AF-A258-6B2B2D456E6B.jpeg 32E746D7-C2EF-43BC-973D-135A153C2FF7.jpeg C1527CB2-2577-4542-A3C9-2357428BE933.jpeg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an aio.

The three slots in the back are most likely for media, filter sock, and return pump with extra space for heater/whatever you want.

There are lots of tutorials on here for cycling.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little score.

If you are looking at the tank face on,the return pump will go in the far right chamber where the little noozle sticks out.

First chamber will be where the media,99% of the time in a media basket goes then the heater in the middle chamber,then return pump. You can also put the heater in the chamber with the return pump.

Now that I looked at your last pic again,reverse everything I said lol. It looks like the return nozzle is on the left.

When you go to do a wc on your main tank,use water from that and there are about 15 different products you can use to quicken the cycling of the tank. See if you can find a smaller piece of lr from your bigger tank to seed this one. Drastically reducing cycling time.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little score.

If you are looking at the tank face on,the return pump will go in the far right chamber where the little noozle sticks out.

First chamber will be where the media,99% of the time in a media basket goes then the heater in the middle chamber,then return pump. You can also put the heater in the chamber with the return pump.
Thanks. What kind of media should I use?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None is needed during the cycle. Maybe a sponge to harbor beneficial bacteria. Once the cycle is done and you do your first water change,add carbon. Once you add coral and start to feed per say like lps,add a media like Chemi-Pure Nano or Chemi-Pure Blue. You could add some SeaChem Zeolite media which is a porous media type used to house bacteria. Brightwell Aquatics makes some good cubed media as well that is about $10 for 250g,there is about 10-12 cubes per container.

Like my tank (4g cube),I have all Zoa's and run just carbon and do weekly 1g water changes.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None is needed during the cycle. Maybe a sponge to harbor beneficial bacteria. Once the cycle is done and you do your first water change,add carbon. Once you add coral and start to feed per say like lps,add a media like Chemi-Pure Nano or Chemi-Pure Blue. You could add some SeaChem Zeolite media which is a porous media type used to house bacteria. Brightwell Aquatics makes some good cubed media as well that is about $10 for 250g,there is about 10-12 cubes per container.

Like my tank (4g cube),I have all Zoa's and run just carbon and do weekly 1g water changes.
Ok many thanks :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 87 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back