I just realized how good you guys really are

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last summer I was trying to reacquaint myself with my camera. Nikon D70s.. so you should have an idea how old. Using a kit zoom 28-70 and a 60mm macro lens. As I was just getting reacquainted with reefing and saw a lot of nice pics on here.. I chose to walk around my yard and take pics. After reading this thread, I think this is my "dry" subject. I have never been very good with manual but took a shot at it.. I went with aperature priority on this camera as I used to have a nice Konica.. But here are some results.. Mind you , I found NONE of this has helped me with UW photos so far. But I am getting depth of field down.. and after taking a lot of photos with my phone.. I found... Phones suck.. These were HQ Jpegs. I have yet to get aquainted with RAW.. Mind you, Chasing butterflies is an exersize. especially after bypass surgery... but It was a good day for them and I figured they might be closer to taking fish pix.. I shot maybe 500 pics that day. These are the best, IMO, of what I shot in 2 hours time.. if I remember right..

In order: Black Swallowtail, Comma, Tree frog, Tiger Swallowtail, Monarch, Fly on Bluebells.

Black Swallowtail.JPG
Comma butterfly.JPG

Treefrog 2.JPG
Tiger Swallowtail 2.JPG
Monarch on Coneflower.JPG
Bluebells.JPG

So, I have a question, I dont have a lot of money but would like to improve on my camera body.. the D70s is limited to 6.5 ? mega pixels?? I want to upgrade.. suggestions needed. Lenses too.. if you have any thoughts on it.. I cant afford the 100/105? Nikkor.. so go from there.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last summer I was trying to reacquaint myself with my camera. Nikon D70s.. so you should have an idea how old. Using a kit zoom 28-70 and a 60mm macro lens. As I was just getting reacquainted with reefing and saw a lot of nice pics on here.. I chose to walk around my yard and take pics. After reading this thread, I think this is my "dry" subject. I have never been very good with manual but took a shot at it.. I went with aperature priority on this camera as I used to have a nice Konica.. But here are some results.. Mind you , I found NONE of this has helped me with UW photos so far. But I am getting depth of field down.. and after taking a lot of photos with my phone.. I found... Phones suck.. These were HQ Jpegs. I have yet to get aquainted with RAW.. Mind you, Chasing butterflies is an exersize. especially after bypass surgery... but It was a good day for them and I figured they might be closer to taking fish pix.. I shot maybe 500 pics that day. These are the best, IMO, of what I shot in 2 hours time.. if I remember right..

In order: Black Swallowtail, Comma, Tree frog, Tiger Swallowtail, Monarch, Fly on Bluebells.

Black Swallowtail.JPG
Comma butterfly.JPG

Treefrog 2.JPG
Tiger Swallowtail 2.JPG
Monarch on Coneflower.JPG
Bluebells.JPG

So, I have a question, I dont have a lot of money but would like to improve on my camera body.. the D70s is limited to 6.5 ? mega pixels?? I want to upgrade.. suggestions needed. Lenses too.. if you have any thoughts on it.. I cant afford the 100/105? Nikkor.. so go from there.
Dude... that 4th pic... I dunno.. it just jumped out at me. Really nice!

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to start trying more shots like that. I stay too overly focused on taking pics of my tsnk

I dont know where you live but, bugs are all over. and they move.. It is an easy dry subject with a moving target. Flowers for corals. Try it on a mildly windy day..

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple new critters today.. for my current DT:

Z6090102.jpg
Z6090103.jpg

Obligatory FTS. Added 40lbs of dry rock yesterday.

IMG_20200609_170926.jpg

And a few baby's for my next 75 gal DT which will be mostly Anemone/clowns.

IMG_20200609_171018.jpg
IMG_20200609_171014.jpg

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple new critters today.. for my current DT:

Z6090102.jpg
Z6090103.jpg

Obligatory FTS. Added 40lbs of dry rock yesterday.

IMG_20200609_170926.jpg

And a few baby's for my next 75 gal DT which will be mostly Anemone/clowns.

IMG_20200609_171018.jpg
IMG_20200609_171014.jpg
Very cool! I am still stuck in the horrible.... be patient and let my tank mature phase. I promised myself no new livestock for 6 months.. yeah, it’s only been 1!

Some good news though. I saw new coraline on some of my rock!

I am curious Those frags you bought. How long does it take for them to get say... baseball size?

really cool frags btw

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loved this post, I just seen it and haven't read through it. It does take mad skills. It would be nice if the photo contests actually judged skills. I stopped joining in once I realized people judge the coral they like, not the skills of the photographer. Still lots of fun to watch. If you have any questions I can do my best to answer. I shoot with canon cameras

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loved this post, I just seen it and haven't read through it. It does take mad skills. It would be nice if the photo contests actually judged skills. I stopped joining in once I realized people judge the coral they like, not the skills of the photographer. Still lots of fun to watch. If you have any questions I can do my best to answer. I shoot with canon cameras
You Rock Cherub! Thank you : )

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I am still stuck in the horrible.... be patient and let my tank mature phase. I promised myself no new livestock for 6 months.. yeah, it’s only been 1!

Some good news though. I saw new coraline on some of my rock!

I am curious Those frags you bought. How long does it take for them to get say... baseball size?

really cool frags btw
I'm not sure. Hopefully quickly.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did a photo contest once, back in 1985. Did ok...

Since then I stay away from them. To me they're just an ego trip. I know which of my photos are good and which suck. I usually don't show anyone the ones that I think are less than my best effort. No point in it.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a photo contest once, back in 1985. Did ok...

Since then I stay away from them. To me they're just an ego trip. I know which of my photos are good and which suck. I usually don't show anyone the ones that I think are less than my best effort. No point in it.

We are very different.. ALL MY PHOTOS are GOOD.. that is why I delete the Blurry, the ones of my feet, the ones that are all black.. cause they are so good.. I dont want people to get jealous.. I think I have kept 15 in the last 20 years..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting there!!!

That looks awesome. Only thing I see is that this was not a straight on shot. Anytime there's an angle when shooting into water, you have a bit of blur..

Otherwise, spot on.
Straight on is easy with corals lol... dang fish are quiiiiiiick. Haha

thanks

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rented a lens to take some photos for my brother this weekend. It's a 70mm f1.8 prime. in a micro 4/3 that's equivalent to a 150mm.

It's pretty awesome.. On the fish pics, I only adjusted color balance and exposure. Plus a touch of noise reduction.
Z6120111.jpg
Z6120114.jpg
Z6120119.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back