OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing is keep experimenting. I can honestly say, when I shoot auto, my photos suck.
I do get what you are suggesting... play with one variable at a time until I start to see how it is effected by the others. That makes perfect sense to me and I do plan on trying that!

This may sound stupid...lol. I am still a little afraid of it. This really is all new technology to me. When I find the right screen in the camera menus to make a change, I am a little afraid to “click on it” thinking I will mess up my camera. I am good with computers! I need to convince myself this is just another computer... that can always be reset : ) ....I know... silly

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.. and really most of the settings that you need to play with on the camera to do all of this are controlled by the dials and whatnot, you don't really need to dive into the menus to do much of anything.

Don't be afraid of it, after all you are maintaining the water quality for a bunch of live animals and they are doing fine..

I pulled out my ancient EOS 20D a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to notice that I hadn't touched it in several years.

Also, and I can't stress this enough. Invest in the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography package. It's 10 bucks a month and well worth the cost.

Once I made the leap into Lightroom and learned just how easy it was, It gave me a way to manage my photo catalogs easily and editing them is simple.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great information and great pics above, don't be afraid of your camera and use it a lot to get a feel for it.

All the things wrong with this pic!

Hand held.
Pumps on. (I never turn my pumps off just to get a pic!)
Wrong settings for a coral pic.
Auto focus. (I use auto focus and then tweak manually, "you can't polish a turd" was the best piece of advice I ever got, focus!)
Jpeg. (I am too lazy to learn editing software.)
2 day old glass!

I took 4 pics and settled on this one, I picked the camera up and adjusted the iso to 640 (wrong but I was trying to allow for the flow and "stop" the heads) F 5.6 (wrong, that was from fish pics earlier) and 1/200 (again set for fish) and went click (4 times).
I download to my laptop using Windows photo gallery and adjust contrast and brightness as required and croped.

Don't try too hard or you will get frustrated, from going click to saving this took about 3 - 5 minutes, it's just a "quick snap".
Also as above, it's digital and you can take as many shots as you want! :)

My one tip, also mentioned above is to have the tip of the lens against the glass completely square on and the camera level to cut distortion.

DSC_0008 (1024x704).jpg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, and I can't stress this enough. Invest in the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography package. It's 10 bucks a month and well worth the cost.

Once I made the leap into Lightroom and learned just how easy it was, It gave me a way to manage my photo catalogs easily and editing them is simple.
Yep, I have been using Lightroom for 13 years. Today's version is leaps and bounds better than anything from the past. I love it. The key is to learn to use it right. Tons of online videos on Adobe's web sight to watch and use as a reference.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have been using Lightroom for 13 years. Today's version is leaps and bounds better than anything from the past. I love it. The key is to learn to use it right. Tons of online videos on Adobe's web sight to watch and use as a reference.

Absolutely. It did take me a little white to figure out how to make it work for me, but once I did, I wouldn't use anything else.

The wife still uses Photoshop for all of her edits. She just doesn't have the patience to learn LR.

Once I learned the power of its cataloging, I never looked back.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great information and great pics above, don't be afraid of your camera and use it a lot to get a feel for it.

All the things wrong with this pic!

Hand held.
Pumps on. (I never turn my pumps off just to get a pic!)
Wrong settings for a coral pic.
Auto focus. (I use auto focus and then tweak manually, "you can't polish a turd" was the best piece of advice I ever got, focus!)
Jpeg. (I am too lazy to learn editing software.)
2 day old glass!

I took 4 pics and settled on this one, I picked the camera up and adjusted the iso to 640 (wrong but I was trying to allow for the flow and "stop" the heads) F 5.6 (wrong, that was from fish pics earlier) and 1/200 (again set for fish) and went click (4 times).
I download to my laptop using Windows photo gallery and adjust contrast and brightness as required and croped.

Don't try too hard or you will get frustrated, from going click to saving this took about 3 - 5 minutes, it's just a "quick snap".
Also as above, it's digital and you can take as many shots as you want! :)

My one tip, also mentioned above is to have the tip of the lens against the glass completely square on and the camera level to cut distortion.

DSC_0008 (1024x704).jpg
And your picture still came out amazing! Great advice, thank you.

Trust me when I tell you, I am soaking in everything everyone here is saying : ) I’ve been a “photographer“ now for almost 2 weeks lol. What I will say is this. I am having a blast playing with my new toys : ) I keep stumbling in to some pretty cool pics and I have been using the limited editing software that came with my iPad. I have free access to several editing software packages. They came with the Camera, but none of them are the ones people keep mentioning.

Which of these would you choose to use (if any)

PhotoMirage
PaintShop
VideoStudio
Painter Essentials 7
AfterShot

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photoshop is king then Lightroom then GIMP are your best bet in that order imo
Photoshop if you're looking to do composites or otherwise alter the image.

Lightroom is king for someone looking to catalog and process the images.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photoshop if you're looking to do composites or otherwise alter the image.

Lightroom is king for someone looking to catalog and process the images.
Yeah... I started watching a few YouTube videos on these apps... before I started paying for one. I am leaning towards the Lightroom actually. I don’t think I would ever use much of photoshop.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I started watching a few YouTube videos on these apps... before I started paying for one. I am leaning towards the Lightroom actually. I don’t think I would ever use much of photoshop.

Once you understand a few concepts, it's actually very easy to use.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and one important thing that you don't really hear about much.

Once you start shooting RAW, you will notice that your images straight out of the camera sorta suck. There's a very good reason for it. It's raw data, it has to be processed in order to look right. I've heard of some folks saying, "Yeah, I shoot raw and my photos are just fine straight from the camera." It's just not true...

Just keep that in mind...

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and one important thing that you don't really hear about much.

Once you start shooting RAW, you will notice that your images straight out of the camera sorta suck. There's a very good reason for it. It's raw data, it has to be processed in order to look right. I've heard of some folks saying, "Yeah, I shoot raw and my photos are just fine straight from the camera." It's just not true...

Just keep that in mind...
Oddly enough, I have picked on that one a little. “Raw” lets more “data” in on the pic... i Have started shooting in Raw. I’ve noticed it is harder to get the auto focus to... you know... actually focus, but the pics look much better after I pass them thru my iPad photo editor. It just seems like I can do more to it. I was kind of guessing raw would work even better for me once I started shooting manual.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back