I just saw a worm. A big one. What is it?

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as usual i stare into the aquarium admiring it, and this time a saw a worm like think that i think is at least 10 cm long. It's not a bristle worm, and i hope not a one of those horrible Bobbit worms.

This one had maybe 8 arms near its head and the hands was long and searching for food on the rock. The worm had thorn like things on it to. It lives in a hole in the cave and it behaves just like a usual worm you would find in the ground :)

What is this thing? Should i try to get it out? I better put on a pair of gloves and a bullet proof vest if i need to get Godzilla out of my aquarium :/

Maybe i should add that i saw it when my lights was set to dusk, so it could be that it is out when it is dark?

worm2.jpg worm1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3127.MOV
    21.1 MB
OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google images of medusa worm and spaghetti worm. Then let us know which you think it is please.
Thank you, the closest i get is a medusa worm - but still they don't look the same because the Medusa has a round shell body, and my has a snail-shape flattish body and soft skin. With no hard shell so to speak. And i could not find any pics on the internet that the medusa had long arms with hands on them.

I also Googled nudibranchs and they don't look the same at all. Same as sea slugs, its not that.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i found a pretty similar picture on the internet. It's a sea cucumber like in the picture, but mine is beige to the color and the picture doesn't show any tentacles by its head. But i think this is the closest i get.

SeaCucumber.png

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update for you. I found him early in the morning, and he has grown quite a bit to. I estimate he is close to 15 cm.

He tried to get into a hole in the rock, but he was to fat and half of him was outside :D Check the video below. Next morning he was gone, and i don't know where he lives now.

Cucumber.jpg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures don't look like the first pictures. Are you sure these pictures are of the same animal? Could it be you have more than one?o_O

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it look like this?

Attachments

• A8F7E369-5585-4380-B8DE-1B9C0078E57C.jpeg
    A8F7E369-5585-4380-B8DE-1B9C0078E57C.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 37
  • 58513B4C-B1D9-480F-9DF5-FA32A4F90F6D.jpeg
    58513B4C-B1D9-480F-9DF5-FA32A4F90F6D.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 44

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures don't look like the first pictures. Are you sure these pictures are of the same animal? Could it be you have more than one?o_O
on the second image in the first post you can see the mouth tentacles if you look closely, its the same animal just bigger and better fed

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, now that you mention it, they don't really look the same do they? Hmm yikes i have TWO! I do think they are harmless in the sense that they won't eat any of my other inhabitants, but what would happen if that big one dies? :oops: Will he nuke my tank?!

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the second image in the first post you can see the mouth tentacles if you look closely, its the same animal just bigger and better fed
Yes, but now that @Reefer Reboot asked me if it was the same animal or not, i'm not convinced it's the same one actually.... i guess we'll see in time. If i get lucky someday maybe i see both of them poking about in my aquarium :)

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update for you. I found him early in the morning, and he has grown quite a bit to. I estimate he is close to 15 cm.

He tried to get into a hole in the rock, but he was to fat and half of him was outside :D Check the video below. Next morning he was gone, and i don't know where he lives now.

Cucumber.jpg
It looks like a sea cucumber of some sort to me! They can have “hand like” mouthparts they use to filter out food from either the water or the substrate. Very cool addition to your reef!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back