I just saw a worm. A big one. What is it?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not at all. But jesus christ what is that worm thing you posted? Is it a Fire worm or something? If i ever find one of those in my tank i'm putting on a bullet proof vest and asbestos gloves and pulling that thing out of my aquarium :)
Type of Eunice worm

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, not at all. But jesus christ what is that worm thing you posted? Is it a Fire worm or something? If i ever find one of those in my tank i'm putting on a bullet proof vest and asbestos gloves and pulling that thing out of my aquarium :)
I read that eunice worm poison can lead to permanent paralysis of an affected area.
I assume bobbits and eunice are just by common name.
It reads. "Never touch a Bobbit Worm – their body is composed of many nerve damaging bristles. Touch one of these bristles and you will have permanent nerve damage"

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that eunice worm poison can lead to permanent paralysis of an affected area.
I assume bobbits and eunice are just by common name.
It reads. "Never touch a Bobbit Worm – their body is composed of many nerve damaging bristles. Touch one of these bristles and you will have permanent nerve damage"
I know I am a noob to owning saltwater critters, but I am quite confidently able to say that the text there seems to be describing a fire worm, bobbit worms (Maybe some other Eunice has venom but I wouldn’t know it) lack venom (though in any instance they can give a nasty nip indeed), fire worms on the other hand are notorious for being venomous.

Edit: whoops! Spoke too soon, though bristle-carried venom isn’t present in bobbits it seems to be said by quite a few sources that they do inject some form of venom into their prey. But I don’t think there is evidence that really supports that.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can link articles if anyone would like. They aren't hard to find about bobbits = eunice worms. There are many species of these critters to begin with.
However, I will tell you right now. I am not willing to personally find out if any of the information is true.
I do know a lot of life forms in the ocean are venomous. Absolutely deadly.

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can link articles if anyone would like. They aren't hard to find about bobbits = eunice worms.
While bobbits are a species of Eunice, that only means all bobbits are eunices, not that all eunices are bobbits, I don’t know that much myself but I do feel confident enough to say that bobbit worms having venom (well, bristle-borne venom at least, it seems that a large amount of eunicid worms have venom from a quick search) is probably fake or exaggerated.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While bobbits are a species of Eunice, that only means all bobbits are eunices, not that all eunices are bobbits, I don’t know that much myself but I do feel confident enough to say that bobbit worms having venom (well, bristle-borne venom at least, it seems that a large amount of eunicid worms have venom from a quick search) is probably fake or exaggerated.
Not to mention That Eunice sp. use their bristles as legs and anchors in their dwelling, they are big thorns, not super thin bristles

But either way, again, best not to play around and be the first one to report here how long the damage lasts. I for one wouldn't like to get bitten or stabbed.

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But either way, again, best not to play around and be the first one to report here how long the damage lasts. I for one wouldn't like to get bitten or stabbed.
Yeah, even if they aren’t venomous in terms of poking them, they all certainly could give you a nasty nip with those jaws.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many eunice are covered in bristles. Just like bristle worms. How venomous they are, will be based species to species. Just like with bristle worms. I still wont handle them. No one is going to convince me too.

Attachments

• eun.jpg
    eun.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 25

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many eunice are covered in bristles. Just like bristle worms. How venomous they are, will be based species to species. Just like with bristle worms. I still wont handle them. No one is going to convince me too.
I certainly wouldn’t and am not trying to convince you to go and grab one, but all I’m saying is that it’s probably not gonna fry your nerves if you brush against a Eunice worm for whatever reason. Meanwhile, brushing against a fireworm probably could. Most bristle worms follow the former more than the latter anyways though.

Back