I just stirred some of my sand bed. Do I have reason to be worried?

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for context, in my 32g Biocube, I have a dummy thicc 4 inch bed. In this sandbed, I have a diamond goby, fighting conch, and 5 nassaruis snails.

I ended up stirring up probably a quarter or so of the sandbed in search of a rock that my diamond goby had buried. Go figure. At any rate, I did end up stirring enough of the bed that I released some trapped air bubbles. Nothing huge, but bubbles were released at any rate.

So really what I'm asking is, do I have cause to be worried? I probably have the cleanest bed you've ever seen because of how many sand shifters I have. But everytime I Google, "stirring sand bed in reef aquarium." Every post seems to warn of tank nukeage.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time after a too-large-of-a-stir in a very dirty tank I killed a fish... but what I am picturing you describing seems to be well, well on the safe side. I doubt you did any harm at all. ;)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for context, in my 32g Biocube, I have a dummy thicc 4 inch bed. In this sandbed, I have a diamond goby, fighting conch, and 5 nassaruis snails.

I ended up stirring up probably a quarter or so of the sandbed in search of a rock that my diamond goby had buried. Go figure. At any rate, I did end up stirring enough of the bed that I released some trapped air bubbles. Nothing huge, but bubbles were released at any rate.

So really what I'm asking is, do I have cause to be worried? I probably have the cleanest bed you've ever seen because of how many sand shifters I have. But everytime I Google, "stirring sand bed in reef aquarium." Every post seems to warn of tank nukeage.
You shouldn't have a problem with 1/4 of the bed.

The bubbles went straight to the top and your mechanical filter/skimmer will get most of the rest.

OP
OP
SilvermistInc

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time after a too-large-of-a-stir in a very dirty tank I killed a fish... but what I am picturing you describing seems to be well, well on the safe side. I doubt you did any harm at all. ;)
You know, it's funny. My rock is covered with so much GHA that you could mistake the tank for a freshwater setup, and yet, the sand looks as clean as it did the first day I added it.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you smell sulfur? You might want to run some carbon if you don’t usually

wazupjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be an issue. If the tank was a few years old and the sand had never been disturbed than i'd be a little concerned. If it was bad you would see a lot of grey matter when your stirred the sand around.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stir up my sand beds a couple times a week. Usually every time I clean the glass I gently toss the sand bed. Never an issue.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem with this, I changed the design of some of my rocks last year and my 8+ year old deep sand bed got stirred up big time, absolutely no issues. Obviously this is just one anecdote but still hopefully provides some comfort. If you clean it regularly as well you are more than fine, as I have never cleaned mine.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh guys it's kind of an old thread. If the OP had problems they have long sense passed now.

Edit sorry everyone I had 2 different threads crossed on my app.

Last edited:

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cry Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back