I know you don't want to hear it(a rant)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you don't want to hear it, but if you want long term success with a dwarf or medium bodied lion, you must include live food in their diet. I am so sick of the "train your lion" responses to the issue of feeding difficulties with these lions. if you notice the source of this advice you will never find anyone keeping a full grown lion for multiple years. If you are ok to replace your lion every year like your iphone, pay me no mind. In the most successful end to the "train your lion" school of thought, they will live at most 1-1.5 years; most perish much, much sooner. They live between 10-15 years in the wild, that should be your goal.

Most of these lions lions are a challenge to feed from the get go, so there is never a guarantee you'll get them eat dead food at all, much less enough to sustain their life long term. If you do your research, like any responsible hobbyist; you'll find a multiple of threads all over the net about "dwarf lion won't eat", "dwarf lion stopped eating"; they all end the same way, death. So you must decide before you get one that you are willing and able to feed live food, or you must just say "no".

A couple of lfs have stopped bring them in at all, one owner saying "they always die". Another large lfs bring them through with no problem, mostly 100% mortality with weeks. Having hobbyist blame themselves and try repeatedly before giving up. They get them for $7 wholesale, sell them for $40, and just don't care how fast they die. There are other reasons for their high mortality, but once the hobbyist brings them home, feeding and internal parasites are the highest concern.

The initial challenges not withstanding, and to repeat, there are no guarantees. Something happens around a year or so, if you do get them eating dead food; usually much sooner. If you think they are going to eat from the water column, they will just slowly starve over time. Because it sometimes takes months, people don't realize it's a nutritional deficit that caused their demise. Because they are picky eaters, the ones that eat dead food seem to take to krill. This quickly becomes the only thing they eat. After a while because of a high level of thiaminese, they develop a vitamin B1 deficiency. This leads to lockjaw and death, within months and rarely more than than a year or so. Even if eating dead food, it is usually always challenging, maybe going well for a while, then a series of hunger strikes. It always ends the same way, they will eventually stop eating, never even making it pass 1.5 years. All the reasons this happens are unknown, but one of my theories is that without the thrill of the hunt, they just eventually give up. They are not meant to be kept in a glass cage and fed with a stick.

If you read this post and decide to get a dwarf or medium bodied lion. And he refuses to eat or stops eating. And you refuse to feed him live foods. At least admit it to yourself, "you starved your lion to death because you refused to provide the food he needed to survive".

Disclaimer: this is my opinion through decades of experience primarily focused on predatory fish. My personal, hands on, real life experience with dozens if not hundreds of examples. Not repeating anything I've heard or read, just real observations. Nothing is 100% and it would be great if hobbyist could achieve long term success feeding a dead only diet, because I know most hobbyist don't want to feed live food and the need for care is out there. I still challenge fellow hobbyist to share their dead diet long term success.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this guy about 7 months. He will only eat live shrimp and small guppies.
IMG_2472_heic-L.jpg
IMG_2447_heic-L.jpg

He has grown quite a bit.
IMG_1695-M.jpg

Thank you, Lion King for your posts. I believe I have read them all.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In public aquariums feeding live foods is mostly not done (at least here in Sweden) However - feeding with meaty and fatty food ( an nutrient rich food) as slices of herring, mackerel and other fat fishes is a long time success. The trick is to learn the catch these foods. I - by person - have many times succeeded to feed in northern pikes with dead slices of other fishes with long time success. Also succeeded with pike-perch for a long time. Have also feed rather many different lion fishes with this. For the moment I know at least one lionfish that have lived for at least 6 years on mainly the scandinavian deep water shrimp (whole and dead). when you have feed them in with this type of food - they work. But I agree with you - normal aquarium fish food is not enough.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In public aquariums feeding live foods is mostly not done (at least here in Sweden) However - feeding with meaty and fatty food ( an nutrient rich food) as slices of herring, mackerel and other fat fishes is a long time success. The trick is to learn the catch these foods. I - by person - have many times succeeded to feed in northern pikes with dead slices of other fishes with long time success. Also succeeded with pike-perch for a long time. Have also feed rather many different lion fishes with this. For the moment I know at least one lionfish that have lived for at least 6 years on mainly the scandinavian deep water shrimp (whole and dead). when you have feed them in with this type of food - they work. But I agree with you - normal aquarium fish food is not enough.

Sincerely Lasse

Thank you @Lasse, I have kept them for years also but the effort and challenges to provide the properly nutritionally balanced food is near impossible. And this is of course if you get them to take the dead food in the beginning. The losses of fish that refuse to eat the dead food are never known.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reef tanks but my background and work is in biology and ecology. I *wish* it was part of the culture here for people to say how long their tank has been running with their current fish when they were giving advice. I read a ton of threads and often see long time members advising against a fish combo and then other people saying “I have x y and z fish in my tank and it’s fine” but they’ve only joined reef2reef a few months ago at most. They don’t say the size of their tank and they don’t say the age of their fish. I’ve also seen a lot of threads where “one day” their model citizen fish “just snapped” and became aggressive but what seems to be missing is the connection between the fishes age and the time of when it “switched personality”. It seems to me that it’s often when the fish is either mature or when it’s been in the tank long enough to feel like it now has a territory. I think a lot of questionable advice gets passed around because people aren’t thinking about how a fish behaves when it’s mature and how territory size, tank size, and apparent aggressiveness relate to each other. I know this isn’t exactly the same as your rant about people feeding lion fish inappropriate diets but I wish everybody paid as much attention to the biology/ecology of a particular species and not just whether their tank can handle the bioload.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of the problem is that some people don’t like the idea of feeding live (besides being lazy). It doesn’t make sense to me to buy any predatory fish if you can’t accept the fact that predators eat other animals. I used to feel bad about it myself but I just remind myself that whether I’m feeding frozen or live an animal has to die or has died. Makes it a lot easier and I wish other people could get past that mental block that feeding live food is ‘mean’ or whatever it is. It’s better than the alternative, which will be death for the predatory fish.

A lot of it likely stems from misinformation, it’s easy to go online and find a plethora of information stating that these fish can be trained to eat dead food. It’s harder to find information like you so often present. Youre right of course, but sadly this is just the way it is. For every one person that has kept lions 5+ years there will be hundreds who can’t keep them more than a year and spread the misinformation that dead food is acceptable. If the big online presences (liveaquaria reefbreeders etc) would start stressing the importance of live food maybe that would help. But since that would probably hurt sales of what is already a somewhat niche category of fish I fear this will never happen.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reef tanks but my background and work is in biology and ecology. I *wish* it was part of the culture here for people to say how long their tank has been running with their current fish when they were giving advice. I read a ton of threads and often see long time members advising against a fish combo and then other people saying “I have x y and z fish in my tank and it’s fine” but they’ve only joined reef2reef a few months ago at most. They don’t say the size of their tank and they don’t say the age of their fish. I’ve also seen a lot of threads where “one day” their model citizen fish “just snapped” and became aggressive but what seems to be missing is the connection between the fishes age and the time of when it “switched personality”. It seems to me that it’s often when the fish is either mature or when it’s been in the tank long enough to feel like it now has a territory. I think a lot of questionable advice gets passed around because people aren’t thinking about how a fish behaves when it’s mature and how territory size, tank size, and apparent aggressiveness relate to each other. I know this isn’t exactly the same as your rant about people feeding lion fish inappropriate diets but I wish everybody paid as much attention to the biology/ecology of a particular species and not just whether their tank can handle the bioload.

This is exactly the same, I am glad you noticed and am aware of being wary of advice about new additions and young tanks. If you read many of my posts I address just this issue. You read the initial "success" in feeding the dead foods and advice to others on how to do it. But they never come back and tell you they stopped eating and died a couple of months later.

I've warned many times of what I call "photo op" tanks, you can spend alot of money and put together a beautiful tank with totally inappropriate species, take some awesome photos, and in weeks everything is dead.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piggy backing on @Lasse information, if you are able to secure fresh fare like he described and can get your individual lion to take the dead food, you will have a chance. When I lived in Cali and was into sashimi and had a market with sushi grade fish, i kept a fuzzy on dead food for years. I fed him fresh shrimp shells on, tuna, salmon, squid, and octopus. it was very challenging, time consuming, and frustrating. This was in the beginning of my lion experience, it happened by fluke. i loss a few lions quickly before the success with this one. If you got 10 fuzzies, one would possibly live with this approach, the other 9 would die. If you fed live, 7 would likely survive providing there was no other issues(internal parasites). That's providing you have the time, patience, and perseverance.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
howdy

Well written, less of a rant and more of a plea for folks to take ownership of these guys seriously.

A good point was where you live and how it helped with feeding. Long ago, when I lived in Florida I fed lots of fresh inverts, ghosts, feeders, etc. I did also find mine liked the frozen silversides and squid. I had my volitan for a few years until I had to move. That was way before the hoe Florida ban thing.

Hobbiest need to stop buying fish for the colors or patterns and buy them for their environments they are recreating. Not to say we have to duplicate an exact copy of a certain reef, but imagine if the fish store had a full grow lion swimming in a tank just above the 5” one they are selling. Hopefully it would deter someone from buying based on color or pattern once they realize that 5” guy will grow way past his 40 gallon breeder.

Just my thought. Happy Sunday

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy SW shrimp on eBay 100-200 at a time and put them in my refugium or FW shrimp and guppies and put them in a 20 long FW tank I set up.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We developed a method for large predatory fish - including sharks. A long slice of herring with the skin still there was hold with a tong in front of the fish. Preferable in a very strong current - The tong was moved. I did feed in several pike and pike-perch this way - never miss a fish. The saltwater guys use the same technique with lions - they succeeded with all that was of good condition when they arrive

Sincerely Lasse

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back