I like the green

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it will eventually be purple now that the green calcareous has covered the rocks. But I think the green looks cool.
IMG_20180919_221553.jpeg

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few algae phases to go through when getting started...
My understanding is the phases of corraline are green, white, pink and the purple. As each layer dies it leaves behind a white calcium deposit. A new different colored layer appears on the dead layer and that's why the colors change

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the initial diatom stage and my wife isnt happy. Im like well just wait, its going to turn a few different colors more haha.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's calcareous. It doesn't rub off. It's hard.
I am not saying it is algae...just reminds me of algae from the freshwater days.....therefore I cannot like it, not matter how nice it looks lol :)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is the phases of corraline are green, white, pink and the purple. As each layer dies it leaves behind a white calcium deposit. A new different colored layer appears on the dead layer and that's why the colors change

I'm curious where you got this information?

As I understand it there are a couple of different colors for coraline algae (green and purple). But I've never heard of it going through anything like the color changing you have described. IMHO what you have there is just green algae. I could be wrong, but in 15 years and multiple new tanks I've never heard anybody explain coraline algae doing the color changing like you have. And I've never seen it happen in any of my tanks.

Good luck with the new tank.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As I understand it there are a couple of different colors for coraline algae (green and purple). But I've never heard of it going through anything like the color changing you have described. IMHO what you have there is just green algae. I could be wrong, but in 15 years and multiple new tanks I've never heard anybody explain coraline algae doing the color changing like you have. And I've never seen it happen in any of my tanks.

This is not the dusty green algae on the rock. You can scrub it and it won't come off. You can search for green calcareous algae and find many references to people having green algae that later was replaced "eventually" by purple.

I guess we will eventually figure it out in time in this situation. For now the green looks cool.

Here is a link.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/coralline

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess I should not have used the term color changed. Each layer grows over the other layer

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Dragon Tail, I get it. You don't agree with me. That's fine. I was just questioning your statement about,"...the phases of coraline are green, white, pink and the purple."

You've already quoted me 3 times here, I'm not arguing with you. I've just NEVER seen coraline algae change color or go through 'phases'. But just because I haven't seen it happen, doesn't mean it never happens. I'm sorry if I upset you.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Green Calcareous has died off in some patches on the glass and left a layer of calcium. I am hoping this gets covered with pink or purple
IMG_20181012_195323.jpeg

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would update this thread with how my rocks are changing. The bright green Calcareous has lightened up and is filling being over grown with corraline. The green Calcareous looks smooth now that it has filled in the pores in the rock. The green Calcareous seems to have provided a nice base for the corraline.
IMG_20190303_140732.jpeg
IMG_20190303_141114.jpeg
IMG_20190303_141123.jpeg
IMG_20190303_141128.jpeg
IMG_20190303_141132.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back