I love free dollars in this hobby!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also can’t get a Mr. Chili plush anywhere else…I’m just saying lol! I do shop at other places and I compare prices but I find the things I want are cheaper on BRS or the same price everywhere.
Your new to this, but they used to give you a mr. Chili if you dropped enough coin in a order. They would give stickers, random swag, etc..

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your new to this, but they used to give you a mr. Chili if you dropped enough coin in a order. They would give stickers, random swag, etc..
I know they used to and they still do give stickers they are out though. It’s more common around the holidays from what they told me.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“I keep a reef tank and I like to save money”, you how ridiculous that sound, right?
This hobby isn’t cheap I know and I’ve spent a lot but I am saving money too right now. Like getting these things for free vs at my lfs. Like anything there’s ways to be cheaper. I also know it’s most common in the first year to spend the most money…that would be me.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing free in this hobby is experience.

Okay, that's a load of crap, too. I've paid a ton of money for my mistakes...

:)
And that’s not even free because experience takes time and time is money. Lol. So I’m going with, nothing in this hobby is free

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a recent order to resupply some items, which included Rowaphos. Instead of Rowaphos, they sent me Rowa Ezeclean. I sent them an email to inform them yesterday, within one hour they shipped my Rowaphos, which I received this morning. I sent them an email to thank them and ask how I can return the Ezeclean, just now they replied and told me to keep the Ezeclean as a gift!
#lovefreedollars

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good deal just as much as the next guy. And I even enjoy a little kick back on money I was going to spend anyway. I understand trying to reef on the cheap, I’ve been doing this for about 15 years and have never really been able to afford it. I buy almost all of my gear used and my livestock is all the more common “cheap” stuff. Now that I’m older and make more money it’s a little easier but this hobby is still mostly outside my in incoming bracket. These days my time is as limited as my budget, so if I can buy from one place and the prices are close, that convenience has value if I don’t have to spend time shopping all around the internet.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This.

The CO2 reactor was a BTDT, media is stupid expensive. I was buying soda lime from JorVet for a bit, I still have some left from the adventure and converted the reactor to using gfo as needed @ the moment.

PXL_20220901_211904560.jpg

Big turn off was how much I burned through media. I just learned to open the windows a bit at night during the summer and during the day in winter. Keeps the PH boosted and no one freezed or fried.

Yep, I buy it in 5 gallon containers. It was $105 delivered, but now it is $125. At some point, it won't be worth it anymore. Hopefully, after my frags are all colonies! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Tough crowd! @AydenLincoln, you're happy about your purchase with points, and I'm happy for you.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my BRS points to get a free C02 scrubber, media, and Mr. Chili plush! I’m hoping it helps with my pH. Excited for it to come and BRS really has the best rewards system. I don’t want 10 cents off gas I want free reefing gear!
I'm very curious how the Mr. Chili plush is helping with your pH? Does it go in the sump? The overflow? External reactor?
Yes like every other store with a rewards program and a budget is well non-existent lol. I went into this thinking I would spend x amount of money which went down the drain as soon as I got the stand lol. But I have stopped going to the fish store weekly and am saving money for Disney right now.
I'm glad you are not spending all your money on gear. That Walt Disney frag is going to become an awesome colony one day!

232774-brs-exb-mrchili-plush-bf-swag-an.jpg

Need more instructions on using the Mr. Chili plushy! :)

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm very curious how the Mr. Chili plush is helping with your pH? Does it go in the sump? The overflow? External reactor?

I'm glad you are not spending all your money on gear. That Walt Disney frag is going to become an awesome colony one day!

Step one you buy it! Step two put it in your room. Step three your dog steals it…rips it up and then your sad.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drain stopper, target practice, dog toy (where mine ended up, involuntary).

Goby Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still isn't free... But to each their own.

If the 'other' vendor offers it at a better price without the 'points', that's just a deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about 'getting a deal', but in the end it usually isn't when you get to the nuts and bolts of business. It's all factored into the cost somewhere. IME, the Costco of reefing (BRS) typically doesn't have the best prices, for a lot of things. Smaller online reef vendors tend to beat it, or the giant pig of a retailer that's Amazon (when common enough to find there).
Dude you are just a downer right now lol

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you are just a downer right now lol
It was a rough day, lol. Lost a LARGE neon green bta to a gyre. Migrated it from the 50g to the 120g last night and woke up to a Dante's inferno that was Uber cloudy water this morning and remnants in the gyre.

My point still stands about nothing being free tho, lol.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually shop at BRS if shipping prices weren't so exorbitant. $35 USD for a tropic marin glass hydrometer (and BRS is one of the few places that keeps this in stock)...and $55 USD (that's over $70 CAD) to ship it. Inother words, $130 CAD total (with tax) for a fifty dollar item. I'd sure need a lot of Mr. Chili plushes to make me feel better after that bill...

Est. delivered by Wednesday, Sep 14
UPS Standard
$54.05

Goby Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a rough day, lol. Lost a LARGE neon green bta to a gyre. Migrated it from the 50g to the 120g last night and woke up to a Dante's inferno that was Uber cloudy water this morning and remnants in the gyre.

My point still stands about nothing being free tho, lol.
Oh no! I mean, I agree with the not being free thing lol

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually shop at BRS if shipping prices weren't so exorbitant. $35 USD for a tropic marin glass hydrometer (and BRS is one of the few places that keeps this in stock)...and $55 USD (that's over $70 CAD) to ship it. Inother words, $130 CAD total (with tax) for a fifty dollar item. I'd sure need a lot of Mr. Chili plushes to make me feel better after that bill...
You Canucks get played hard on cross border shipping.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Est. delivered by Wednesday, Sep 14
UPS Standard
$54.05
Sorry to hear that. International shipping is always going to be more expensive unfortunately at every online store. Most of us are in the U.S. where it’s free over $49 or a flat $1.99-$8.99 which isn’t bad.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Canucks get played hard on cross border shipping.
And then US retailers pile it on by shipping dry goods with couriers instead of good 'ol USPS, which often is just as quick (and is usually half the price). :)

The few aquarium dry goods suppliers in Canada usually have a free-shipping option. With gas at or near $7 per gallon, in many places it's a godsend.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then US retailers pile it on by shipping dry goods with couriers instead of good 'ol USPS, which often is just as quick (and is usually half the price). :)

The few bulk goods suppliers in Canada usually have a free-shipping option. With gas at or near $7 per gallon, in many places it's a godsend.
A ton of folks give USPS crap with shipping, but since COVID started, I've had better success shipping with them, at a better price.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back