I may have messed up sexing mandarins....

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have always thought I had a female green mandarin. She has been with me a couple years now, and does not have the huge spike dorsal fin, indicative of a male mandarin.

I was at the LFS yesterday and they had a beautiful male that they have had for a few months now(I've been eyeing keeping an eye on it). I went ahead and purchased it, assuming my female would be fine with a larger male.

Well they met this morning, after last nights introduction to the tank. All they do is fight! Is this normal for mandarins, and the aggression will eventually calm down, or did I mess up and now have 2 males? I will bring the male back if I need to, my female is too precious to me.

Pic of the 2 fighting:
20220315_094359.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few videos I saw of pairing mandarins they danced witch looked like fighting but it ended shortly. Hope it works for you. Friend had a male mandarin that the spike was short more like a little bump.

That may be two males but hopefully someone with more experience can help

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see the one I know is a male, grab mine by the gill and violently shake her. He did let go, and they seem to be keeping away from each other for now.

But now I have to know if I have 2 males.....

@OrionN I think might be able to tell me.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see the one I know is a male, grab mine by the gill and violently shake her. He did let go, and they seem to be keeping away from each other for now.

But now I have to know if I have 2 males.....

@OrionN I think might be able to tell me.
I edit my post and think it’s possible you have two males. I’ll check with a friend in mean time

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have always thought I had a female green mandarin. She has been with me a couple years now, and does not have the huge spike dorsal fin, indicative of a male mandarin.

I was at the LFS yesterday and they had a beautiful male that they have had for a few months now(I've been eyeing keeping an eye on it). I went ahead and purchased it, assuming my female would be fine with a larger male.

Well they met this morning, after last nights introduction to the tank. All they do is fight! Is this normal for mandarins, and the aggression will eventually calm down, or did I mess up and now have 2 males? I will bring the male back if I need to, my female is too precious to me.

Pic of the 2 fighting:
20220315_094359.jpg

both males... they will fight for sure.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the Penage on front thin “the spike. The front fin is smaller on females. So of the one with partial appendage has smaller front fin probably a female. To me and a friend we think it’s male and female but iffy

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems this one ended well, but for others reading in the future, it’s good to remember established females won’t accept smaller “inferior “ males. I learned that the hard way. Seriously violent fish when it comes down to it. When they pair up and do the evening love dance though - what a treat!

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems this one ended well, but for others reading in the future, it’s good to remember established females won’t accept smaller “inferior “ males. I learned that the hard way. Seriously violent fish when it comes down to it. When they pair up and do the evening love dance though - what a treat!
And I knew this, kind of why I have been waiting to see a larger more dominant male. My female was a tiny biota captive breed. Just was not positive she was a she.

Obviously I now know I have a male and a female, and it looks like they have worked out their differences.

Today they are swimming together, and hunting together. No signs of aggression at all.

Back