I may have messed up sexing mandarins....

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I knew this, kind of why I have been waiting to see a larger more dominant male. My female was a tiny biota captive breed. Just was not positive she was a she.

Obviously I now know I have a male and a female, and it looks like they have worked out their differences.

Today they are swimming together, and hunting together. No signs of aggression at all.
They probably just needed a little time for her to lay down the law and let him know how the relationship was going to go ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update......

They continue to swim together, hunt together, and sleep together. Glad this worked out, I was worried for a bit, I won't lie about it.

20220329_061539.jpg

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like male/female to me... but I'm not an expert. Here are my pair.
1647435578547.png

Just an FYI, males can sometimes try to "aggressively" mate with their females. And sometimes, the females just aren't having it.
Something I just noticed on your pic, that I have noticed with mine.

The male has a more orange tint to his coloring, and the female is more green in color. Never noticed it before with as many mandarins as I have seen, but noticed it right away when they were together.

Could just be from where they were collected, of that I'm not sure on?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like two little boys to me,but maybe your female is just cool and sporting a Mohawk. :)

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like two little boys to me,but maybe your female is just cool and sporting a Mohawk. :)

Oh I initially thought it was 2 males, but seeing as they sleep together, hunt together, and I have seen them doing their mating dance, I'm inclined to believe I have a male and female.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this worked out. They look cozy together now! I have a blue/green male and a spotted female that coexist but do not fancy one other. They usually stick to opposite ends of the tank, but when they do encounter they will still flare up, and the spotted usually runs the male off. Luckily never had anything more violent happen than that. Seeing this does make me wish I had a mated pair, though. Beautiful fish. :smiling-face:

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I just noticed on your pic, that I have noticed with mine.

The male has a more orange tint to his coloring, and the female is more green in color. Never noticed it before with as many mandarins as I have seen, but noticed it right away when they were together.

Could just be from where they were collected, of that I'm not sure on?
I noticed that as well. I was wondering if when they get larger the orange get more defined. Or if it was just regional. Although I believe mine are collected from the same area.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of red ruby gobies and every day the male chases the female at dusk as the lights dim down the male chases the female around for a while but then after that every night there found laying in the sand next to each other

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone wondering the short spike is only an indicator the fish is not a mature male. Juvenile male manadrin dont have a spike either.

If the dorsal fin is curved at the front its a female. If its straight its a juvi male and if it has a spike its an adult male.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back