I mean Who Really is having success raising pods?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living_tribunal, you certainly are raising a ton of pods and it is very interesting and good reading.
But for most tanks I don't get it. I realize a lot of people buy pods and try to raise them as you are so good at, but I have never bought a pod in my life and my mandarins and pipefish flourish and spawn like crazy.
I just feed my tank something like clams with their associated juices and the pods are all over the place.
I have spawning mandarins, bluestripe pipefish and ruby red dragonettes , clown gobies among others and I never had to feed those fish.

I would assume if you have a newish tank you may need to buy or raise pods, but I must be doing something wrong. :cool:

But I do appreciate your cultivating methods and thank you for teaching them. :)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living_tribunal, you certainly are raising a ton of pods and it is very interesting and good reading.
But for most tanks I don't get it. I realize a lot of people buy pods and try to raise them as you are so good at, but I have never bought a pod in my life and my mandarins and pipefish flourish and spawn like crazy.
I just feed my tank something like clams with their associated juices and the pods are all over the place.
I have spawning mandarins, bluestripe pipefish and ruby red dragonettes , clown gobies among others and I never had to feed those fish.

I would assume if you have a newish tank you may need to buy or raise pods, but I must be doing something wrong. :cool:

But I do appreciate your cultivating methods and thank you for teaching them. :)

I think the key distinction here is A.) Your tank is twice my age :) B.) Your tank is much larger. There are probably a lot of subtleties as well between our tanks but you have truly created a intricate ecosystem over the last couple of decades. My 75 G (100G total volume) is only a year and a half old and has a less diverse group of organisms within it.

Of those, amphipods unfortunately reign supreme. They consume a significant portion of my copepods and with only 75G in the display, my pipe fish, h.chrysus, and mandarin will quickly consume the rest.

So to keep everything happy, and maintained, under my circumstances, I have to heavily culture pods. The rest of the members consume them very fast if I don't.

Another thing is I have carefully controlled what enters my tank via starting with cured dry rock, quarantining all fish, inverts, and corals. So while I have added a significant amount of diverse bacteria types, micro-organisms, inverts, and a lot of other stuff, it's not nearly comparable to the wondermud you go out and grab from the sea for your tank. So the ecosystem in general is less diverse.

It's all a balance thing in our tanks. Every action has some kind of reaction. You add a mandarin, the pod population drops, when the pod population drops, there might be more detritus so the worm population explodes. Stuff like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the key distinction here is A.) Your tank is twice my age :) B.) Your tank is much larger. There are probably a lot of subtleties as well between our tanks but you have truly created a intricate ecosystem over the last couple of decades. My 75 G (100G total volume) is only a year and a half old and has a less diverse group of organisms within it.

Of those, amphipods unfortunately reign supreme. They consume a significant portion of my copepods and with only 75G in the display, my pipe fish, h.chrysus, and mandarin will quickly consume the rest.

So to keep everything happy, and maintained, under my circumstances, I have to heavily culture pods. The rest of the members consume them very fast if I don't.

Another thing is I have carefully controlled what enters my tank via starting with cured dry rock, quarantining all fish, inverts, and corals. So while I have added a significant amount of diverse bacteria types, micro-organisms, inverts, and a lot of other stuff, it's not nearly comparable to the wondermud you go out and grab from the sea for your tank. So the ecosystem in general is less diverse.

It's all a balance thing in our tanks. Every action has some kind of reaction. You add a mandarin, the pod population drops, when the pod population drops, there might be more detritus so the worm population explodes. Stuff like that.

yeah I was going to say something similar Paul; your ole skool tank still probably has “blooms” of whatever. Back in the day that rock just had more biodiversity. Today its ala carte’ , anymore if you don’t intentionally add it in, it usually ain’t there

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phyto is in the same room with other SW tanks[ I’m sure spores et get into it somehow, I was using plastic mason lids with a 1/4 hole & 1/4 rigid tube but I might go with a tighter fit at the air hole like you did with the foil

I go with 1.020 7for the brown stuff and 1.010 for Nano, sometimes I use full strength SW to simplify feeding.

Not to hijack the thread, but where could I look locally to find some lengths of the clear 1/4" rigid tubing to set this up myself? I've tried walmar and lowes, but maybe I'm not calling it the right name.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's correct at least until the temperature drops and we go into winter.
I need to pick you brains soon to how you get it going

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve been using home brewed “tank water” phyto; sometimes light green, sometimes gold <LOL> .

I may be reading this wrong, but you start phyto cultures from your tank water? scratch?

I never thought about that, but I guess there's no reason you couldn't do it.

Do you have a forumla or guide for this, or basically just a phyto guide with tank water to start, and you just slowly build it up over time?

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be reading this wrong, but you start phyto cultures from your tank water? scratch?

I never thought about that, but I guess there's no reason you couldn't do it.

Do you have a forumla or guide for this, or basically just a phyto guide with tank water to start, and you just slowly build it up over time?

Never had a tank go green on ya? green soupy water is one of those things that only happen when you screw up LOL ... Put it this way; There has got to be several people here that has had that happen, Yes you can get green water from your tank water (usually) , no clue what it is...Problem is it also contains lots of things that consume it also.
Try running some water through like 75 microns to get some of the bigger bugs out, airline and F/2.
Heck a 2L bottle in a window with airline & hyponex should yield something I’d think.

Edit: just saw the vid on the prev post. Dude used just a banana and tank water. Not sure how far inland ocean algae spores drift/seed open water or if already present

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a tank go green on ya? green soupy water is one of those things that only happen when you screw up LOL ... Put it this way; There has got to be several people here that has had that happen, Yes you can get green water from your tank water (usually) , no clue what it is...Problem is it also contains lots of things that consume it also.
Try running some water through like 75 microns to get some of the bigger bugs out, airline and F/2.
Heck a 2L bottle in a window with airline & hyponex should yield something I’d think.

Edit: just saw the vid on the prev post. Dude used just a banana and tank water. Not sure how far inland ocean algae spores drift/seed open water or if already present
I use old tank water, no UV on my tank so I expect there are spores in there ready to germinate. I use an Oxydator in my tanks as well to keep the DT water crystal clear.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a search on the Oxydator now, thats like the 3rd time I’ve heard this
Doing a search on the Oxydator now, thats like the 3rd time I’ve heard this
Little known in the US but well known in Europe. I have been using them for around 30 years in my tanks and I also have one in my small pond. There is an Oxydator user group on Facebook with lots of info on there posted my myself and other users. Also many posts on here.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little known in the US but well known in Europe. I have been using them for around 30 years in my tanks and I also have one in my small pond. There is an Oxydator user group on Facebook with lots of info on there posted my myself and other users. Also many posts on here.

Interesting, I wonder if it’s not as popular because we H2O2 directly into our tanks instead.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back