I mean Who Really is having success raising pods?

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. I will let u know.
So far so good. Lol

I am noobie at culturing pods so I am learning too.

I tried to keep the set-up simple.
Just updated it in my build thread

Don’t wanna hijack this thread
I’ll definitely check your build thread. And hijack away! It’s just extra for us to learn resource wise. :)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the info re: reefroids. I will try it on Apex pods.

I set up my phytoplankton (Tetraselmis) culture few weeks ago. So far so good.

And just started two pods cultures last weekend. One tisbe and one apex.

10077299-6785-45B4-AD02-0B621C74CCFB.jpeg D7D963B6-3E4A-46B3-98C3-7E1B8C485031.jpeg
Cool, let us know how it goes and if you see an impact from feeding reef roids or other detritus rich food.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. I will let u know.
So far so good. Lol

I am noobie at culturing pods so I am learning too.

I tried to keep the set-up simple.
Just updated it in my build thread

Don’t wanna hijack this thread
Please, I’m a repeat offender.....nobody’s innocent here :p
heck I’m still waiting to hear procedures from the previous posters that raise the pods

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a magnetic stirrer for phyto and it’s amazing. Not sure where I read it but it was here on R2R and it was a score. I clean my air line with alcohol as well as my canning jar and plastic lid.

This thread is amazing. Thanks to the posters. I’ve got the phyto working as well as brine shrimp. Time to work on something better. Going to grab a bottle of something to try and grow from the lfs tomorrow.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a magnetic stirrer for phyto and it’s amazing. Not sure where I read it but it was here on R2R and it was a score. I clean my air line with alcohol as well as my canning jar and plastic lid.

This thread is amazing. Thanks to the posters. I’ve got the phyto working as well as brine shrimp. Time to work on something better. Going to grab a bottle of something to try and grow from the lfs tomorrow.

Please share pic of your setup!

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt have a problem culturing pods, it is phytoplankton cultures that are so easy to crash.
Phyto is such a basic life form everything needs to be really clean because everything eats it or outcompetes it.
Pods on the other hand are hardier and higher on the food chain. I have seen them cultured outside in jugs and in the house in containers with only cleaning their containers every 2-3 months.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't and don't try to cultivate them but I've had a copepod bloom for months that is finally thinning out now that we have some lyretail anthias. I also seem to have a very healthy sized population of arthipods in the sump, the overflow, the fuge, the tank, etc lol.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt have a problem culturing pods, it is phytoplankton cultures that are so easy to crash.
Phyto is such a basic life form everything needs to be really clean because everything eats it or outcompetes it.
Pods on the other hand are hardier and higher on the food chain. I have seen them cultured outside in jugs and in the house in containers with only cleaning their containers every 2-3 months.
What do you think of cultivating pods with something like seachem reef phyto and reefroids I stead of phyto cultures?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of cultivating pods with something like seachem reef phyto and reefroids I stead of phyto cultures?
Feeding pods phyto is easier due to it being live food and it doesnt pollute the water. You can set it out in a sunny area or under lights and the phyto multiplies on its own being food for the pods.
On the other hand using reefroids or similar produces pods on a much greater scale.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone cultured tisbe and apex pods together in the same container?
I cant recall if its tiger or tisbe that are lil bethnic red things that scurry on the bottom and sorta avoid light... Anyway, whichever it is will co-cutler with brine shrimp just fine FWIW. I had a accidental co-culture for a relative long while, like a few months I think

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant recall if its tiger or tisbe that are lil bethnic red things that scurry on the bottom and sorta avoid light... Anyway, whichever it is will co-cutler with brine shrimp just fine FWIW. I had a accidental co-culture for a relative long while, like a few months I think
Tisbe are the surface dwellers. Tigers are in the column.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see if I can find some time.

There’s not much to it. My guess is it’s the food component. Feeding your apocyclops detritus of any kind will go a long way compared to just phyto. Other than that, there’s virtually nothing else to it. If the culture goes completely clear, you feed more.

Not sure if anyone else here has switched to reef roids or some alternative for their pods since my posts but I’d be interested to see if anyone else has my same experience.
Question is how much reef roids do u put in culture to not foul the water and kill off the pods. I been feeding spirulina powder. Like w a test kit tiny spoon mix in water.and pour. Every other day. I don't see many pods yet and total gallons is 3g in 5g tank. Maybe do roids but not sure how much and how frequent

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back