I might cry

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I have the worst luck in the hobby man, it all started with getting a sick clown and velvet refuses to quit, I got this clown a month and a half ago that had velvet, he died and affected all of my fish, I got it under control with copper and formulin in my qt and I did follow for 6 weeks that may as well be eternity bc I HATE being patient, admittedly I put my firefish in a day early, 6 weeks would technically be tomorrow but I thought it would be fine because I just assumed the 6 week guideline was being on the safer side, anyway, my firefish looks to have a single spot on him that depending how the light hits it you can see it or not, I also moved coral into the DT during follow, I’m tempted to move my coral in qt and to just put copper in my dt, then my carbon can remove it after it finishes. I just wish I could have become lucky with this hobby

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you provide pics under white light? It may be brooklynella rater than velvet.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel like I have the worst luck in the hobby man, it all started with getting a sick clown and velvet refuses to quit, I got this clown a month and a half ago that had velvet, he died and affected all of my fish, I got it under control with copper and formulin in my qt and I did follow for 6 weeks that may as well be eternity bc I HATE being patient, admittedly I put my firefish in a day early, 6 weeks would technically be tomorrow but I thought it would be fine because I just assumed the 6 week guideline was being on the safer side, anyway, my firefish looks to have a single spot on him that depending how the light hits it you can see it or not, I also moved coral into the DT during follow, I’m tempted to move my coral in qt and to just put copper in my dt, then my carbon can remove it after it finishes. I just wish I could have become lucky with this hobby
Dont put copper in display but rather in QT and its presence will always then be in the display even with carbon

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

it in the center of his body

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you just isolate the fire fish for now until you verify the spot is actually a disease?
Carbons no removal guarantee anyway, use cuprisorb and cop a test kit for copper regardless ...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
cant quite see the body on the firefish. Was hoping for pic of clown.
if you saw a milky...slimy skin surface on clown- you had brooklynella for which a freshwater dip followed by formalin baths may have been your answer. I would suggest not use copper unless you have positive protozoan i.d. and use Ruby Rally pro instead which will cover an array of symptoms including flukes and various protozoan. Ruby is also deemed reef safe.

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant quite see the body on the firefish. Was hoping for pic of clown.
if you saw a milky...slimy skin surface on clown- you had brooklynella for which a freshwater dip followed by formalin baths may have been your answer. I would suggest not use copper unless you have positive protozoan i.d. and use Ruby Rally pro instead which will cover an array of symptoms including flukes and various protozoan. Ruby is also deemed reef safe.
So the clown when he died actually did look a lot like brook, his mucus was falling off of him and yeah he may have died to brook, especially since he was gasping for air

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So the clown when he died actually did look a lot like brook, his mucus was falling off of him and yeah he may have died to brook, especially since he was gasping for air
You now know the correct treatment. wouldnt be a bad idea to grab some general Cure to have on hand in case of reoccurence which may still be active now

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought fallow period was minimum 72 days?
If you are doing fallow which is a good idea when you have ich or other protozoan - 72-90 days yes and keep remaining fish in QT tank

Last edited:

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes its better to wait even longer since a egg can lay dormant only to appear and affect a tank again if Im not mistaken. Correct me if I am

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I went more like 90 or something.. I was just curious because the OP mentioned 6 weeks.

I do see what looks like a single spot on the side of the firefish. maybe Ich? Right where the pinkish/red color starts on the midline

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes its better to wait even longer since a egg can lay dormant only to appear and affect a tank again if Im not mistaken. Correct me if I am
Your not wrong, more is better.
If I remember the research, 72-76 days for ick resulted in success, 99% of the time, lower days, higher risk of reoccurrence.
I’ve done 60 days, but I am a risk taker and setup in the event I wrong.

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I went more like 90 or something.. I was just curious because the OP mentioned 6 weeks.

I do see what looks like a single spot on the side of the firefish. maybe Ich? Right where the pinkish/red color starts on the midline
Yeah I wish it was ich, but ich doesn’t kill within the week like my fish have been doing

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not wrong, more is better.
If I remember the research, 72-76 days for ick resulted in success, 99% of the time, lower days, higher risk of reoccurrence.
I’ve done 60 days, but I am a risk taker and setup in the event I wrong.
For what I’ve seen on a lot of websites is that 6 weeks for both brook and velvet

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once did 70 days and still had Ich after

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back