I might have ich but it's acting odd

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been observing this for 2 and a half weeks. I first noticed it on my cryptic wrasse which showed up as 2 ich like spots but where gone 2 days later and never came back almost 3 weeks later. Then my watchman gobby had 1 spot and same thing went away a few days later. Now my gramma has 5 or so spots on his tail. No fish ever scratched or rubbed on rocks or substrate through out the period the spots appeared. Also my clown and damsel seamed untouched. The gobby and wrasse are and have been spot free since first observation.

All fish are acting normal and eating like they always have been. Mysis and flake. I haven't observed any odd behavior from any fish.

I do run a uv sterilizer
Tank perameters
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1
Nitrate 0.5
Phos 0.4
Cal 440
Alk 9.0
Mag 1390
Temp 78

Tank tenants
Snails
Crabs
Shrimp
Starfish
Lps
Sps
Softies

There is no fish aggression as everyone has grown up together and gets along very well. Only new additions have been hermit crabs and frags in the last 3 weeks.

Where do I go from here? Are there any in tank ich management routes or is it time to set up a quarantine tank and do the whole 76 days fish less treatment route?

If so I have a 15g aio I can start cycling. Question is will the fish be OK while the new tank cycles (a month?) or am I pretty screwed at this point. I'm worried the 15 will add to their stress having 6 fish packed in there.

Anything I can do in the meantime to help them out? Temp increases, air stone, extra feedings? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing the temp won't help with marine Ich unlike freshwater ich.
Here's an excellent thread by Humblefish that can help you with your decision. Keep us in the loop; we want to help.
Been there had a complete tank wipe out. Went fallow and QT everything now. I didn't want "new" fish to get parasites/disease. Now my tank is kinda boring: happy and healthy fish.

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read thank you!

The clown and gramma have been with us since they were pea size babys so they are Def part of the family and we want to do everything we can do to help them. At this point I am so bummed out but I also understand that my Goodluck with no quarantine just ran out. And it's time to step up.

I will be setting up the 15 tomorrow as a backup and hoping it doesn't get to that. Catching fish is a pita in this tank with the only real way of doing it is draining the tank and catching them in a few inches of water which is extremely stressful to the fish.

For now I'll keep a window open, keep the air stone going and feeding them a varied diet to keep them as happy and as fat as possible. I usually feed every other day, I'll bump that up to everyday and run my refugium a couple extra hours a day. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried getting a picture of the spots but since I just fed everyone is all worked up and active, best I could get is a useless Pic of the these 2 best buds
20200223_212636.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read thank you!

The clown and gramma have been with us since they were pea size babys so they are Def part of the family and we want to do everything we can do to help them. At this point I am so bummed out but I also understand that my Goodluck with no quarantine just ran out. And it's time to step up.

I will be setting up the 15 tomorrow as a backup and hoping it doesn't get to that. Catching fish is a pita in this tank with the only real way of doing it is draining the tank and catching them in a few inches of water which is extremely stressful to the fish.

For now I'll keep a window open, keep the air stone going and feeding them a varied diet to keep them as happy and as fat as possible. I usually feed every other day, I'll bump that up to everyday and run my refugium a couple extra hours a day. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated
Another "tool" to help keep our fish healthy is Beta Glucan. It truly helps fish's immune systems to deal with all sorts of challenges. Heck, my wife and I both take it too. Here's an article on BG:

OP
OP
Copingwithpods

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another "tool" to help keep our fish healthy is Beta Glucan. It truly helps fish's immune systems to deal with all sorts of challenges. Heck, my wife and I both take it too. Here's an article on BG:

This stuff?
Capture+_2020-02-24-00-40-49.png
Capture+_2020-02-24-00-41-29.png

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had recently observed my six line with a couple spots and by the end of the day they were gone. Then the next morning his tail had a few spots and just like before by the end of the day gone. I noticed it a few more times and by the end of the day they were always gone. He's very active and eating great so I'll wait and see before I pull him and medicate.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back