I mistakenly bought calcium nitrate instead of Sodium Nitrate.

VaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mistakenly ordered calcium nitrate instead of sodium nitrate. I needed it to raise my nitrates. Is there a use for the calcium nitrate?

nick_md

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium nitrate will dissociate into calcium and nitrate when added into the water. So it can still raise nitrates, but will also raise calcium.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
calcium nitrate is used to boost both nitrates and calcium at the same time. I dont see it as a necessity but some use it as a potential cost savings, but the amount applied with RO water has to be precise.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ppm calcium per day doesn't sound like much, but after a month that's 30 ppm of calcium. If you do 25% monthly water changes, then you'll end up accumulating about 120 ppm over a year by my estimates until you reach a steady-state presuming you don't consume any calcium (i.e. FOWLR tank)! Of course if you're consuming lots of calcium with corals, then you don't have to worry.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a good choice, actually, because dosing nitrate also ends up boosting alkalinity when the nitrate is reduced and incorporated into organics, so it is a balanced calcium and alkalinity dose effect. :)

Back