I need a good laugh. WORST LFS ADVICE

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me (new to the hobby and knowing nothing): I want to be able to grow corals one day

LFS: Here, dose this. (Hands me Instant Ocean Reef Accelerator)

Me: How much?

LFS: Eh, two cap fulls a day should get you there. (At the time I had a 14gal Biocube)

Me: Is there anything I should test for?

LFS: No, just come back in a week or two and buy a couple corals and see how they do.

Me: Should I continue my weekly water change?

LFS: Yes, about 20% each week.

A couple weeks later:

Me: all my fish died and my tank looks like it is snowing.

LFS: You must have done something wrong.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Still for many of us:
If you add this to the tank, you can drop fish and coral right in and tank will be cycled instantly.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So clams can clean my tank? I was under the impression that they need lighting when matured and only filter beneficial phytoplankton. My bad. Sometimes I’m a noob.
Their filter-feeding is actually really cool. These aren't tridacna clams, but here's a video!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS told me my Kole tang has a lighter color because it was from a different part of the world (don’t remember the location she said it was so off)
I get the poor guy to a tank with higher salinity and less copper and he colored right up.

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told not to worry about phosphates. "they're not important". I was having zoa issues and I was seeking advice at the same store (different guy) and says "sometimes they just die". Wow thanks!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in petco, which mine is normally not bad the fish department manager does a decent job.

But he was off this day,
Well this couple was in the store to get new fish for theirs that all died. And the associate was describing what tanks the fish needed and controlling nitrate.

I think this associate must have read something but only remembered like 10%.

every single fish was saying to put into the tank was way too large for the tank they had. Ignored the old fish all died,
And to cure a green tank you just needed these Chinese algae eaters, and once a month water changes of 10 percent. And began to sell them a new full tank of over sized fish.
A different associate came back to relieve this one, and did fix the prior advice that was given. This was like 2 years ago so don’t remember the specifics.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fantastic thread. I’ve been told a combo of crap like this. My first attempt at a tank was probably 2006 when I lived in Tacoma, Wash. I bought a 75g tank from a store in Seattle. They let me buy everything including two little domino damsels to “cycle” it the same day as getting the tank. No mention of anything else, not even a suggestion of rock.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One store told customers that they couldn't QT Hippo Tangs because they carry ich in their stomachs.

Another store after selling fish with ich. "every tank has ich, just add a UV sterilizer and you are good to go"

A different store their reef tank setup they sell every customer consists of fluval canister filters and fluval strip lights. Same store a guy was swearing to a lady that the fluval strip light cold grow coral better than a Radion pro.

Granted I think we need a thread on the worst stuff that a customer has said or done as someone who runs a LFS.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One store told customers that they couldn't QT Hippo Tangs because they carry ich in their stomachs.

Another store after selling fish with ich. "every tank has ich, just add a UV sterilizer and you are good to go"

A different store their reef tank setup they sell every customer consists of fluval canister filters and fluval strip lights. Same store a guy was swearing to a lady that the fluval strip light cold grow coral better than a Radion pro.

Granted I think we need a thread on the worst stuff that a customer has said or done as someone who runs a LFS.

My buddy used to own a good LFS. Guy walks in the shop.guy: I want to get a clown fish. LFSok what tank do you have? Guy: I just grabbed the 10 gallon starter kit at PetSmart with blue gravel. LFS: uh, that's not meant for saltwater. Let me help you with a setup. Guy: I just want a clown fish. Your just trying to sell me more crap. If you don't sell me a fish I'll go somewhere else.

Guy comes back a month later. Someone else sold him a clown and he wants to know why it isn't doing well. o_O

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy used to own a good LFS. Guy walks in the shop.guy: I want to get a clown fish. LFSok what tank do you have? Guy: I just grabbed the 10 gallon starter kit at PetSmart with blue gravel. LFS: uh, that's not meant for saltwater. Let me help you with a setup. Guy: I just want a clown fish. Your just trying to sell me more crap. If you don't sell me a fish I'll go somewhere else.

Guy comes back a month later. Someone else sold him a clown and he wants to know why it isn't doing well. o_O

I had lady come in asking me to test her water because the coral weren't doing well. I use hannah checkers and salifert, not API or strips. I check it all everything looks good. As an after thought I tested her salinity. It was 1.13. I walked out and asked her if she had any coral left alive in the tank.

Just last week guy walks in and says all his fish died and then they added a shrimp and it was dead the next day. After learning my lesson I checked his salinity 1.39. I guess the kid was topping off with saltwater instead of RODI.

Stories like that are why I don't offer a guarantee on livestock.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to try a "new reef store" when I lived in Atlanta. I have a few questions as my "go to's" for gauging if a person has any clue what they're talking about so... I have 4 tanks, 1 SPS, 1 Mixed, 1 total softys and one FOWLR. I am not an expert by any means but know enough to be dangerous... lol
After introductions
Owner: Ive been in the hobby for about 25 years and can answer whatever question you have.
Me: (While staring at this Diamond Goby) " I started a new tank and the cycle is now completed. It is a BARE bottom tank. Can I put this in there and just feed him pellets that sink?
Owner: Thats not the preferred way but it would be fine
Me: "Do I need to worry about it jumping out? The tank is open on top"
Owner: "They will strike the surface after food but dont jump out of the water"
Me: Okay great, where do your fish come from?
Owner: None of our fish are reef harvested. All are captive bred.
Me: (looking around at the fish known to not breed in captivity) "Interesting" (and knowing who the area distributor is)

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also seen countless store selling "live rock" that sit in containers with no water whatsoever
I've seen stuff sold as live rock that's just bare white dey rock that was freshly thrown in a tank with not even live rock to seed it.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a LFS a year ago try to sell me two polyps of GSP for $100. They said you can't get it anymore, it's very rare. Keep in mind this was after indo shutdown.
Had a LFS a year ago try to sell me two polyps of GSP for $100. They said you can't get it anymore, it's very rare. Keep in mind this was after indo shutdown.
I got a whole bunch of that rare stuff I'll sell ya for half off LOL

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many to list them but heres my most recent story.

I own a maintenance company and have a few private accounts that like to sometimes buy fish and coral from the two LFS here that are awful. One of my clients was told last week his tank was perfect for two cat sharks they had and that they would be fine for the rest of their lives in his 125 reef tank...Luckily he called me before purchasing.

Yasmar01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was brand new to the hobby I was told by a LFS who I bought all of my stuff from that using RODI was a waste of money and that as long as I did water changes with their water because it was so good it would keep nitrates and phosphates down. Needless to say I had major algae issues as well as eventually loosing every last bit of live stock I owned. Funny because this LFS killed so much live stock It stopped carrying it and eventually only sold dry goods. Unfortunately this loss took me out of the hobby for a very long time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back