ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cockroaches are live :rolleyes:

I was lucky, when I started in the hobby there were no LFSs.

Fish (which were all freshwater) were sold in toy stores as Toy Fish. :cool:
We went to China and they had this pool with goldfish. You pay and they give you a net, you throw them in a bucket and you can take a limited number home. Or you throw them back in and try to catch them again. China....
39C1839F-92C6-4ED8-BE6D-6A8758041228.jpeg
Oh, and you can head over to the zoo and stand on a ledge and throw meat at bears.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was standing at the counter when a call came in......
caller: I just got stuck by my lionfish.... what should I do???
LFS employee: you need to go to the liquor store and get a 12-pack and start drinking. the pain is going to be real bad. good luck.

SoCalReefer19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two LFS within a few miles of my house. Luckily, one is outstanding. The owner is there most days and doesn’t push to sell anything. His quality inventory and well maintained displays speak for themselves.
On the other hand... the other crap show just down the street is riddled with pests and the owner is a pushy salesman. My first and last visit at his shop, was spoiled when he tried to sell me a frag with 3 aptasia on it. I said, “sorry I’m not buying coral here. I don’t want aptasia” I swear the man replied, “they’re good filter feeders. they’ll keep your water clean”. I politely told him he was full of it. That’s just pure negligence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish is eating and looks good...…Throw him in the tank....He'll be fine! :D

Look....watch...I'll feed them...check this out.....see they're all eating and HEALTHY!;Hilarious

2 WEEKS LATER....

Subtherapeutic copper effects are gone...fish breaks out with 1,000 white dots. Fish swimming into flow of powerhead. Fish flashing, swimming erradically, etc. Next day....fish hiding near bottom of tank.

Your wife: Honey....the Gem Tang is not doing that well......:oops:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
unfortunatly i have nothing to add read though ,unbelievable ,only time i walk into shop is to clean out when closing down,not knocking ,support your lfs ,they call me ,keep what i like sell the rest 30 years in hobby,do your homework before you buy happy reefing all

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Noobs won't know it but when the hobby started in the US in 1971 Aiptasia were sold on rocks as "Anemone rocks" and we bought them as soon as we could find them.

We even had trouble keeping them alive.
Robert Straughn "The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping" touted them as excellent water conditioners.

They were, but not for the aiptasia. That was the only piece of live rock we had in our tanks and at the time he didn't realize the benefit of living bacteria as water purifiers.

We depended on changing water and chemicals in those days. Some people today still do. :cool:

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Noobs won't know it but when the hobby started in the US in 1971 Aiptasia were sold on rocks as "Anemone rocks" and we bought them as soon as we could find them.

Robert Straughn "The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping" touted them as excellent water conditioners.

They were, but not for the aiptasia. That was the only piece of live rock we had in our tanks and at the time he didn't realize the benefit of living bacteria as water purifiers.

We depended on changing water and chemicals in those days. Some people today still do. :cool:
And I recall “a penny a gallon” for copper treating.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to give away manjo nems for the same reason Paul. People used to ask me for them all the time lol.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife: “I like that star fish”
Me: not sure if it’s reef safe.
Petco: “yes the chocolate chip star fish will be a great addition to your reef tank, it’s only $9.99”

it ate about $100 in coral in less then a week.

Needless to say: it was donated it to a harlequin shrimp owner.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was standing at the counter when a call came in......
caller: I just got stuck by my lionfish.... what should I do???
LFS employee: you need to go to the liquor store and get a 12-pack and start drinking. the pain is going to be real bad. good luck.
That's a good one. As the LFS guy I hope to be able to use it one day :D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back