I need a primer on feeding live foods

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to start a new job pretty soon and I have to be on the road way too early. By the time I get home, I'll probably be wiped. I have a nano tank with a tailspot blenny and a court jester goby. I will also be adding a purple firefish soon. I'm currently feeding tiny pellets but I'm never sure they are interested. I have frozen mysis but it appears too big for the fish. So, I was thinking about adding live foods. Like AlgaeBarn's baby brine.

Can someone give me a primer on feeding live foods. How often? How much?

I will also be bringing a 60g system online shortly. And, I will want to do something similar in that tank.

Thank you!

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed live foods from time to time but not as a primary food source as it would be very time consuming and expensive as well IMO. You can feed baby brine to your system but the brine wont live for long periods of time in your system as the salinity is much different and many would get pulled into the filtration as well if you leave the circulation going on your system.

If you wanted to feed live foods daily by stopping the water flow than you would have to either order a lot of live foods or learn to culture your own. If you are pressed on time now just imagine trying to have more time so you can culture the live foods that you are wanting to feed. You would also have to feed multiple times an gut load the live foods in order to give your fish the nutrition that they need each day. IMO it takes even more time to feed live than it does to get your fish on a diet of a high quality pellet or flake and offer live foods from time to time.

On the other hand If you have a fish or plan on getting a fish that demands live foods such as copepods then taking the time to culture them is well worth the time when extra time is something that you have.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed live foods from time to time but not as a primary food source as it would be very time consuming and expensive as well IMO. You can feed baby brine to your system but the brine wont live for long periods of time in your system as the salinity is much different and many would get pulled into the filtration as well if you leave the circulation going on your system.

If you wanted to feed live foods daily by stopping the water flow than you would have to either order a lot of live foods or learn to culture your own. If you are pressed on time now just imagine trying to have more time so you can culture the live foods that you are wanting to feed. You would also have to feed multiple times an gut load the live foods in order to give your fish the nutrition that they need each day. IMO it takes even more time to feed live than it does to get your fish on a diet of a high quality pellet or flake and offer live foods from time to time.

On the other hand If you have a fish or plan on getting a fish that demands live foods such as copepods then taking the time to culture them is well worth the time when extra time is something that you have.
I’ve actually started to seed copepods from algaebarn but didn’t think my fish ate copepods. I was doing it for waste management.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS or Rod's frozen food is mostly small pieces, especially if you let it thaw and mix it up a bit before use.
As Hemmdog mentioned, Hikari mysis is much smaller than PE mysis, for example; firefish and others will take it.
Blennies will sometimes ignore everything but algae growing on surfaces.
Court Jester goby can also be picky and prefers nibbling from the substrate although they'll also eventually take bits of frozen food from the water column if the tank is peaceful.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS or Rod's frozen food is mostly small pieces, especially if you let it thaw and mix it up a bit before use.
As Hemmdog mentioned, Hikari mysis is much smaller than PE mysis, for example; firefish and others will take it.
Blennies will sometimes ignore everything but algae growing on surfaces.
Court Jester goby can also be picky and prefers nibbling from the substrate although they'll also eventually take bits of frozen food from the water column if the tank is peaceful.
So of Hikari, LRS or Rod's which do you recommend for me to start with? Also, it is really nice to get cubes and cut those up and then a huge sheet of frozen food. Thank you.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So of Hikari, LRS or Rod's which do you recommend for me to start with? Also, it is really nice to get cubes and cut those up and then a huge sheet of frozen food. Thank you.
Hakari comes in cubes, lrs is sheets. Get both, they are both great. Lrs is especially good if you have coral too.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Your LFS probably doesn't carry the nano blend of any of them so you may have to go with whatever nano food option that they can special order for you. Good luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back