I need a uronema plan for my DT.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can help me with this question: I have a 250 gallon FOWLR tank. I used to have corals and live rocks there, so there’s no telling if I have uronema or not. Especially since once you have it, it will be there forever.

I have these beautiful anthias (one of my favorite fish) in QT. I’m treating them for uronema even though they look good. I prophylactically treat all my fish with copper, metro, and prazi.

What happens if I add these clean anthias to my tank and they get uronema? How can I eradicate all traces of uronema in my DT BEFORE adding these anthias? Run UV with h202? Metro dosing? I really want my anthias to survive and flourish and there’s no info about living with possible uronema parasites.

I made a similar thread in the past and I felt stupid. People were telling me “so, you are just ASSUMING you have uronema even through you don’t know?!?!”

Yes, I am actually. I had many corals from the LFS and uronema can come with them. I am not going to add these anthias and hope they won’t die from uronema - I need an actual proactive plan.

So without judgment, how can I prophylactically eliminate any traces of uronema in a FOWLR?

@AquaBiomics @Jay Hemdal

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that uronema is pretty much in every tank. I dealt with it when I got 3 green chomises, and ended up with a lone survivor. I did nothing to treat it and have never had an issue since. The survivor is happy and healthy 3 months later, and none of the other fish have suffered from it. From what I read most healthy fishes immune systems can keep it at bay.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can help me with this question: I have a 250 gallon FOWLR tank. I used to have corals and live rocks there, so there’s no telling if I have uronema or not. Especially since once you have it, it will be there forever.

I have these beautiful anthias (one of my favorite fish) in QT. I’m treating them for uronema even though they look good. I prophylactically treat all my fish with copper, metro, and prazi.

What happens if I add these clean anthias to my tank and they get uronema? How can I eradicate all traces of uronema in my DT BEFORE adding these anthias? Run UV with h202? Metro dosing? I really want my anthias to survive and flourish and there’s no info about living with possible uronema parasites.

I made a similar thread in the past and I felt stupid. People were telling me “so, you are just ASSUMING you have uronema even through you don’t know?!?!”

Yes, I am actually. I had many corals from the LFS and uronema can come with them. I am not going to add these anthias and hope they won’t die from uronema - I need an actual proactive plan.

So without judgment, how can I prophylactically eliminate any traces of uronema in a FOWLR?

@AquaBiomics @Jay Hemdal
Chloroquine would do the trick, but it has the unwanted side effect of killing off most/all of your microbiome - algae, bacteria, invertebrates.

I think you just need to clean the tank well, don't overfeed and then go for it. Even if you sterilize the tank for Uronema, you have a good chance of seeing it return soon enough.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back