I need advice on making a "custom" frag tank.

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some Lexan burning a whole in my deck, 2 sheets approx 8 ft by 4 ft and 1/2 in thick. Wanted to make a frag tank but Im a pleb and need some input from someone more experienced. Namely dimensions that would allow for adequate flow and lighting to the whole tank, preferably a low profile so I don't have to get my hands too wet. Thanks in advance friends.
20210503_121920.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polycarbonate does flex more but really should not be a concern at all with appropriate bracing on a shallow tank. While it is more flexible it is also much stronger than acrylic. I have an 8'x2'x12" built of 1/4 polycarbonate. It does have a lot of bracing but is over 10 years old and zero issues.

As for bonding ideally use something like methylene chloride to fuse the joints. A 2 part epoxy can then be used to stiffen joints if makes you feel better. Silicone should have no part at all in it.

Reefin’ Rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone is not a good idea...acrylic solvent weld liquid is what you need...that lexan will yellow on you too. Just not a good idea to continue with it. I understand you want to use it because you have it but I would go acrylic or glass and save the disappointment it will give you. I ordered glass from a local shop and made my own. This size tank from an aquarium builder was $1000+...I paid $380 for the glass and did it myself
8F1737ED-17FC-4DA5-8ECD-79C36721DF14.jpeg
5D44971F-551C-4CF1-AED3-D826EB7BEF80.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone is not a good idea...acrylic solvent weld liquid is what you need...that lexan will yellow on you too. Just not a good idea to continue with it. I understand you want to use it because you have it but I would go acrylic or glass and save the disappointment it will give you. I ordered glass from a local shop and made my own. This size tank from an aquarium builder was $1000+...I paid $380 for the glass and did it myself

It only yellows under a lot of UV. In my experience more than we have in our lights. I have 3 frag tanks made of polycarbonate and zero yellowing. All are over 10 years old.

Other than potential scratching and need for more bracing required(and with 1/2" it wont be so bad) i cant think of a reason why you would not use the several hundred dollars of material he already has.

Reefin’ Rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only yellows under a lot of UV. In my experience more than we have in our lights. I have 3 frag tanks made of polycarbonate and zero yellowing. All are over 10 years old.

Other than potential scratching and need for more bracing required(and with 1/2" it wont be so bad) i cant think of a reason why you would not use the several hundred dollars of material he already has.
That’s awesome you have some tanks made from the lexan AND are 10 years old!! I read some posts on other forums after OP posted this thread and I’m just relaying what I read. Since you have had great function and reliability out of yours then I guess OP should go for it. Thanks for your say on your experience much appreciated.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome you have some tanks made from the lexan AND are 10 years old!! I read some posts on other forums after OP posted this thread and I’m just relaying what I read. Since you have had great function and reliability out of yours then I guess OP should go for it. Thanks for your say on your experience much appreciated.

Ya honestly i think for a shallow frag tank it is perfect. For a display tank(taller) i think flexibility is more of a concern. The only thing i dont like about them is the scratching but that is the same with acrylic. After this long they have plenty of scratches even though i am careful. I wanted 8 foot tanks and glass just was going to be too heavy and difficult to move by myself. Last time i was moving these by myself i accidently smacked the ceiling with a corner. My wife was ticked cause took a huge chunk of plaster out, but even the 1/4" i used was zero issues with tank.

Reefin’ Rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya honestly i think for a shallow frag tank it is perfect. For a display tank(taller) i think flexibility is more of a concern. The only thing i dont like about them is the scratching but that is the same with acrylic. After this long they have plenty of scratches even though i am careful. I wanted 8 foot tanks and glass just was going to be too heavy and difficult to move by myself. Last time i was moving these by myself i accidently smacked the ceiling with a corner. My wife was ticked cause took a huge chunk of plaster out, but even the 1/4" i used was zero issues with tank.
Lol!! I took a chunk out of the wood floor and the drywall when the back glass in the picture above fell to the floor while I was lining it up to caulk. Wife said “did you just break the glass?” I said “ no but chunked the wood floor and drywall “...

OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll give it a go despite the concerns raised. I don't think yellowing or scratching is going to be much of an issue as, I don't really intend for this to be a "display" tank and I'll likely be viewing from the top. I'll definitely look into different bonding methods for Lexan. Thanks to all for the advice, its been helpful.

OP
OP
strawberryfish

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the depth on this tank friend? Looks great.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back