I need facts about cleaner wrasse and shrimps

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting 2 cleaner wrasse and a skunk shrimp or a peppermint shrimp. I hear that the wrasse only live for a year or a few months? and the shrimp... I hear they are aggressive and hard to feed? The wrasse is hard to feed too?

I am lost and would like for some1 with experience with these 2 to shed some light on the situation.

Thanks!
-Taylor

P.s. I know there are a lot of cleaner wrasse, but im looking for the ones who will clean all their life. I also heard once they get to a certain length they stop cleaning?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are actually quite hardy and I dont find them to be aggressive at all. As for the fish, mine did well for a few months but thats all the experience Ive had with them cause mine jumped. Keep a tight lid on your tank with them.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most cleaner wrasses don't last long and are hard to get to eat prepared foods.... And while not really aggressive like mean, they are aggressive cleaners and will chase a stressed new addition around especially to clean it, as I watched one push a beautiful Achilles Tang over the edge at the LFS. I believe reefbuilders had an article about this behavior as well a while back.

My shrimp pair did excellent for a couple years before disappearing one night I forgot to feed my wrasses lol

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Brett mentioned, cleaner shrimp are very hardy. We've had some live over 3 years in our reef. If you are looking for a cleaner fish, go with Neon Gobies (Elacatinus oceanops). They are small, hardy, and readily eat prepared foods. They will offer "cleaning services" without harassing tank mates.

Cleaner wrasses can be tricky to keep. Some will take to prepared foods, others will not, and as Chort55 said, they will chase and harass tank mates (especially newly introduced ones) incessantly.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner wrasse is just about a year old in my tank. it eats everything and doesnt really harass my new fish to much. It does clean anything that comes into the tank and is always cleaning my copperband and yellow tang. Only thing i dont like about him is the sack it makes everyday when it goes to slep. every morning a new slime sack is floating around and usually gets wrapped up in my SPS

OP
OP
TaylorLee

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main reason for getting them would be to eat the parasites in the tank. So im getting the vibe on shifting towards only cleaner shrimp. i wont have a tight lid on the tank, I may eventually but not at first. About the neon gobies... Do they clean algea as well as eating parasites? Id like to have the parasites in check when it comes to adding fish. i plan on getting crabs so they will control the algae i am assuming. How does every1 feel about that? its a 125 gallon 6ftx18x21 ill get 3 skunk shrimp or peppermint shrimp whichever is best of those 2 or a mixture of the 2? assortments of crabs. i guess i can try a goby as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back