I need help identifying this please

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a brook outbreak in my aquarium so I’m 3 weeks into going fowl, I accidentally dumped my tank water into the qt tank with my infected water, so I had a small outbreak but I does 37% formulin Into the water and it went away, but for some reason one of my clowns has a whole bunch of white spots on him, so I gave him a formulin bath and it only got off a little bit of his spots over the span of an hour, and now his spots have increased rapidly, it also seems to me that the clown stays near the heavily aerated part of the tank, I have another clown though and he doesn’t have any symptoms or anything, so I’m a little confused as to what he has
9B21F943-8E6F-4E31-B700-4FD5E947C7D3.jpeg
6C605BE2-C31F-4C29-8CB9-9CC2361A2017.jpeg
70FA94AD-5467-4CBA-8C57-AA6600DDDAC7.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing the exact formalin dose you made makes it difficult to suggest a next step...I can back calculate if you tell me the tank volume and how much you added.
I can’t tell much from the picture, sorry it just isn’t clear enough. That said, the water appears a bit murky, can you post your most recent test results?
In the end, based on what I can see, you should begin a copper treatment, do you need instructions for that?
Jay

OP
OP
R

reefingBeAmazin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing the exact formalin dose you made makes it difficult to suggest a next step...I can back calculate if you tell me the tank volume and how much you added.
I can’t tell much from the picture, sorry it just isn’t clear enough. That said, the water appears a bit murky, can you post your most recent test results?
In the end, based on what I can see, you should begin a copper treatment, do you need instructions for that?
Jay
So it’s roughly 14 gallons, i read an article about fomulin saying 2 drops per gallon daily, I’ve been doing it every other day, I think I’ve done it for 5 days, the qt tank is less of a tank and more of a container of water, it’s a clear container, but not THAT clear, it looks murky because it’s not clear glass, I’ll have to come back to you with sending you the test results, I’ll probably dose Seachem cupramine, any advice on how to do that would be greatly appreciated, I’m leaning more on velvet rather than ich bc it seems the spots are more circular and smaller than ich spots

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That formalin dose works out to be 25 mg/l, which will often cure FW ich, but not marine. You can’t go higher because then the fish can’t stay in it long term.
I do think you need to start a copper treatment, but please be aware that you are behind on time here, so you need to move fast. You’ll need a copper test kit, and you should follow the dosing instructions on the bottle.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back