I NEED HELP!! Mantis Shrimp

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found a Mantis shrimp in one of my LR and it's been doing a bit of damage, it's only about an inch long and I'm trying to remove it.

I've tried the bottle method for a couple days but it didn't work, recently I've taken the rock out and squirted baking soda and water into the caves but it still hasn't come out! Today I dipped half of the LR in fresh water for a few minutes but it still wouldn't budge. The problem is I have a BTA planted on the rock so I can't fully submerge it, anyone have any other ideas?

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found a Mantis shrimp in one of my LR and it's been doing a bit of damage, it's only about an inch long and I'm trying to remove it.

I've tried the bottle method for a couple days but it didn't work, recently I've taken the rock out and squirted baking soda and water into the caves but it still hasn't come out! Today I dipped half of the LR in fresh water for a few minutes but it still wouldn't budge. The problem is I have a BTA planted on the rock so I can't fully submerge it, anyone have any other ideas?
Well, I wouldn't keep taking the rock out of the water if you have a bta attached to it. It's not good to keep exposing the anemone to the air.

OP
OP
F

FishyFriend88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wouldn't keep taking the rock out of the water if you have a bta attached to it. It's not good to keep exposing the anemone to the air.
Yes I know this, but what other option do I have?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small powerhead pointed at the nem might make it decide to change places to another rock. How sure are you the shrimp is still in that hole hasn't decided to move to another rock?
Can you isolate the rock in a 10 gal or something to keep track of the shrimp before it kills anything else?

If push came to shove, I'd sacrifice the rock and the anemone to protect the rest of the tank. Or even better, start a mantis tank with that rock!

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealt with that in my first tank. I had to tear at k apart to get it out, but was worth it. Like yours it was a small one, o ly few inches. But those buggers are smart. If you can find the exact rock it is in, remove the rock and get it out. I ended up breaking the rock, but got it. Good luck.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be easier to just remove the nem first. Or stick the entire thing in a QT tank until you can isolate the shrimp.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 put the whole rock in a seperate "mantis" tank with other holey rocks and deep sand bed. When he ventures out steal your rock and nem back.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back