I need help picking a tank style... (Help people if you see them before me)

What Reef Style Should I Do.

• Soft

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Lps

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this is so unnecessary and please help people who need it before you answer this post, but I NEED PEOPLE to get me in line with choosing what corals i should get, i know i need to choose myself but I see SPS tanks and I WANT IT, Soft Coral with LPS, WANT IT, Clown harem.. Well you can guess what I will say, I will post a poll and in 24 hours whichever has the most votes I will choose, I am SO PICKY and here are some things to help but remember this goes after helping people with their issues on this forum.

40 Gallon 36"x 14" x 16",
Beginner
RELIABLE and Good Equipment.
Mostly Budget
Have a Coral Beauty
Urchin Obsessor
Have a BTA
Not doing a high aquascape, maybe just two caves and a tunnel in the middle maybe rasing 5 1/2"

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a mix of both?

I’m doing a shelf of sps on the left side lps (acans, blasto’s and Euphyllia) in middle and right side with softies (zoas) on the front facing parts of the rocks.

1D3CABC4-C014-44A9-BB94-D69E5291E45C.jpeg

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose, I'd go LPS just because I love so many LPS corals but a mixed reef is totally doable. Keep your softies low, your SPS high and your LPS somewhere in the middle depending on the individual corals needs. There's tons of examples on this site to give you inspiration. Hope you're able to put together your perfect tank.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you, I love the look of all different kinds of tanks too and will be setting up my 60 cube with a mix of LPS, SPS up top, probably a neon green toadstool, some zoos, and maybe RFAs or a BTA(although this last one scares me...that it would move and sting/kill corals).

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're a beginner, any reason you don't start with softies while the tank settles in and slowly add LPS? If you decide you want to move towards more LPS in the future, you could simply donate/sell off any of your larger softy pieces to make room.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice tank! I'll consider it:)
Thanks. Yeah mixed reefs will be all I ever have besides a nem tank down the road for some clowns.

Yeah start slow and see what you like. I’ve seen softie only tanks that beat out some sps dominated reefs before. Go through a bunch of build threads on this forum for ideas and inspiration.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its clear a mixed tank should be your goal.

Back