I need help....Still..

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few months ago I started a thread about my severe Nitrate problem. Here..
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/In-need-of-serious-assistance!.288229/ . Since then I have done everything imaginable to massive water changes to complete tank tear down. For the past 5weeks (give or take) I have a thriving refugium, running TLF BioPellets, doing weekly 20% water changes, and I am still sitting at 160ppm! I am using 0TDS RODI water. I am at a loss for what to do.

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just me but I would add an algae scrubber but that is a slightly bias. Bio pellets tank time for the bacteria establish.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes no sense to me.

Before
54158ab9c231527f5d448593b37d009b.jpg

After
fa564aca9cf40028676eaeac38876733.jpg

Not only did I dislike the aquascape, but their was an algae prob out of control and their was 7 years of detritus built up in and around the rocks.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try Marinepure bio media plates. Supposed to lower nitrates. I just bought some myself

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your other numbers at, phosphate, ammonia, nitrate? It might be a good idea to send your water out to ICP, might have chloramines.

PH 8.2
Temp 79
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 160
Phosphate 1
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1200
Alkalinity 8

I feed very little as I only have 2 chromis and a Lawnmower Blenny. I don't always feed everyday either.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloramines would be water coming from your tap. You would need a chloramine buster or catalytic carbon block in your rodi system to get rid of it.

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your other numbers at, phosphate, ammonia, nitrate? It might be a good idea to send your water out to ICP, might have chloramines.
I am confused how cloramines cause high nitrate. Is it the ammonia part eventually breaks into nitrates . But also if it was that way wouldn't it kill the good bacteria that filters your tank along with fish and corals.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused how cloramines cause high nitrate. Is it the ammonia part eventually breaks into nitrates . But also if it was that way wouldn't it kill the good bacteria that filters your tank along with fish and corals.
the chloramines and tap kill the bacteria. resulting in no bio filter.

PH 8.2
Temp 79
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 160
Phosphate 1
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1200
Alkalinity 8

I feed very little as I only have 2 chromis and a Lawnmower Blenny. I don't always feed everyday either.
whats your water source and how did you clean the rock on the rebuild?

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the chloramines and tap kill the bacteria. resulting in no bio filter.

whats your water source and how did you clean the rock on the rebuild?

RODI and I didn't clean any rock. I just used the rock the was algae free to rebuild the aquascape. My dad had 75lbs of rock in a 55. Now their is around 45-50. The 25lbs of rock that is gone has the algae.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was no bio filter why is ammonia and nitrite at 0
It was an example and I was asking if there was ammonia and giving the reason why.

Kinda common really. Some tanks actually run like that for years and years. Especially fish only tanks.
The high N P numbers can be an indicator but not a confirmation.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI and I didn't clean any rock. I just used the rock the was algae free to rebuild the aquascape. My dad had 75lbs of rock in a 55. Now their is around 45-50. The 25lbs of rock that is gone has the algae.
So it's quite old rock?

Is there a few pieces you can get out easily?
You can do a simple test. Pull out some rock and and clean it with a brush and rinse with clean even tap water. You can even do a light peroxide dip. Put it in some fresh salt water rich before your next water change let it sit overnight with a powerhead. Test the n and p in the bucket of water. You will probably get po4 for sure as it bound to the rock. If you get nitrates the rock is probably bad. If you wait a week and the nitrates are really high you'll know for sure. The po4 will be higher too.

I had a bad rock once. It's kinda a unicorn in the hobby. The stuff inside was dying And rotting making a nitrate factory.

Really that's all I've got. The nitrates should have dropped in that tank by now if you scrubbed and rebuilt it all.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish only tank that got neglected for a few years. It was covered in algae that I could not get rid of. I decided to reboot. I removed the fish, and drained the tank. I took the tank outside and put 10 gallons of bleach in it. I soaked the rock and sand. I then washed both until the water was clear. It was unbelievable the amount of organics that had built up. I reset up the tank. I was running an ehiem 2217. A canister filter rated for 160 gallons on a 55 gallon. I let it run a few weeks and added a couple of damsels. The tank looked great for a few weeks then the as you called it red velvet covered the tank.

My solution was. I added a sump. Waited about a week and removed the canister. I put 3 liters of seachems matrix and 4 liters of their pond matrix in the sump with an over sized skimmer. I did weekly 20% water changes. Then all the algae disappeared. I started adding corals and they have been thriving. Some of my sps are growing faster than I thought they could. I have had almost perfect water in that tank ever since.

What I think happened was there was so much build up over the years that no amount of water changes would get the nitrates and phosphates out. The cleaning got most out but there were still some old organics deep in the rock. This caused the algae after the restart. 1 liter of matrix is supposed to be able to hold enough benifical bacteria for 100 gallons. 7 liters on a 55 gallon tank maybe over kill but I was no longer maintaining, I was trying to reverse the tank cycle. Once the benifical bacteria got established the algae died it released phosphate that feed algae growth. It took some time removing the algae as it died but after a month I was able to break the cycle.

I now purposely over feed once a week along with daily feeding just to boost my nutrients for my corals.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can call your local water company and ask if they use chlorine or chloromines in the water. If they use chloromines you will need a special filter in your RODI to get them out.

I didn't read your other thread so sorry if I am asking something again but do you blow the rocks out and stir the sand up at all or before water change? What food are you using, some foods like flakes can jump nitrates up. What skimmer are you running, does it pull out a lot of stuff?

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can call your local water company and ask if they use chlorine or chloromines in the water. If they use chloromines you will need a special filter in your RODI to get them out.

I didn't read your other thread so sorry if I am asking something again but do you blow the rocks out and stir the sand up at all or before water change? What food are you using, some foods like flakes can jump nitrates up. What skimmer are you running, does it pull out a lot of stuff?

In the complete tank tear down, all the rock went into a Rubbermaid stock tank and had 6PH for flow with a 2 150g HOB filters to get as much stuff out of the rock as possible. The rock was turned and rotated daily. The sand was vacuumed 7 times in a week and I was running fine filter socks and it pulled a lot out. I am feeding just frozen brine and mysis. I feed one, one day and the other the rest. I have a Bubble Magus NAC3.5 and it does wonders. Pulls out sludge. About a milk gallon every 3-5weeks.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you purchased anything new since the major water change and massive water change ? Do you let any of the water from the bag of the new purchase into the aquarium ? I ask because years ago I had very high nitrate problem and doing all you already did , I tested the bag water from a new purchased frag and the nitrates were off the charts! I couldn't believe it , the tank at the fish store was spotless and the coral all looked beautiful . I thought no way could this water be bad , it will be fine if some goes in my tank.......WRONG !
Just something to consider , but yes it could definitely be trapped in your rock also.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back