I need help with a lid for my tank

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’ve had the tank running for around 9 months now and never had an issue with fish jumping out - however today before I went to bed I heard a noise and saw my Goby lying on the floor. I definitely need a lid. I’m just not sure what to use to cover the top, something that will let the light through but won’t get cloudy due to condensation - any ideas?
Thanks in advance

899B8B2E-0AD2-4B1C-A6AF-431B83EA3DF1.jpeg

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?? You could always get a standard hinged glass lid. I have one on my 10 gallon, partially to decrease water loss from evaporation, and partially to keep my Exquisite Firefish from going kamikaze.

I also have one on my 29 gallon that I ordered from Amazon that I like a little better, as the hinged strip in the center is clear instead of black like on Aqueon Hinged Glass Lids. Also the vinyl on the back was easier to cut holes in for wires and mounting brackets.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?? You could always get a standard hinged glass lid. I have one on my 10 gallon, partially to decrease water loss from evaporation, and partially to keep my Exquisite Firefish from going kamikaze.

I also have one on my 29 gallon that I ordered from Amazon that I like a little better, as the hinged strip in the center is clear instead of black like on Aqueon Hinged Glass Lids. Also the vinyl on the back was easier to cut holes in for wires and mounting brackets.
I have the Rio 300 I believe so it’s like 4ft by 2ft does the glass / vinyl ever go cloudy because of the condensation ?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Rio 300 I believe so it’s like 4ft by 2ft does the glass / vinyl ever go cloudy because of the condensation ?
It gets condensation. Not really cloudy, so much as just wet. If anything I worry more about dust collecting on top. But that is just me. Others I have seen who have glass lids wipe it down once every two weeks to once a month.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets condensation. Not really cloudy, so much as just wet. If anything I worry more about dust collecting on top. But that is just me. Others I have seen who have glass lids wipe it down once every two weeks to once a month.
When it gets wet does it not affect the lighting?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it gets wet does it not affect the lighting?
I'm sure it probably does a bit, as the light is being reflected and refracted through the water droplets, but I haven't really noticed my corals being upset because of it.

If anything I see my corals more upset either due to being in shadowed areas (because of the rockwork), because of debris floating ontp them, or due to changes in salinity (due to evaporation causing the salinity to increase). I do plan on getting another light though, to combat the shadowing.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a screen kit is great. With a framed tank, you don't really see it, it doesn't block much light, and is easy to take on/off.
What would be the best material to use as the screen kit I wanted to use some form of net but always thought it would affect the lighting

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use this...

Its what I use for all my custom builds that I do on here for people. If you have a rimless tank you will want to get rimless tank corners (You can buy them from a few sites or if you look in the homemade section I can print them for you)

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said diy screen tops are easy. Hardware store will have screen frame, corners and spline, spline roller. You can buy clear plastic mesh screen from brs or even amazon these days. Cut your frame to size, connect the corners, spread the screen, roll in the spline, cut the excess screen and you’re done.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can fish not get through those holes? My goby and fire fish are pretty small - also il have to find the U.K. equivalent to this

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need really small you can get the 1/8" holes

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can fish not get through those holes? My goby and fire fish are pretty small - also il have to find the U.K. equivalent to this

I have one tank with 1/4” netting and second with 1/8”. Both are small enough that smallest fish can’t get thru but I prefer the 1/8 because even if you get a small tear in the screen you’re still covered.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of the glass covers I had and having to clean them all the time so I got some of the diy on BRS. I failed miserably at those a couple times so decided to invest in a couple custom ones from Clearviewlids.com . I love them.

Knightwolf1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use a clear acrylic sheet we got at the local hardware store. it can be cut just like a thin sheet of plywood to fit your tank. we haven’t had much of an issue with it getting dirty.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with any solid top is the huge reduction in oxygen exchange.

Eggcrate (lighting diffuser) will work, but anything that might get through it will. Because of that, I switched to DIY screen tops years ago. As others have mentioned, they are inexpensive, easy to make, block virtually no light at all, and are extremely effective. To make running cords for powerheads easier, I build mine in two pieces. The section in back is as narrow as I can make it (~3") with small slits in the mesh to feed cords through. The slits pretty much close up around the cords. They stay in place unless I need to clean a power head. The front sections are easily removable for feeding/maintenance, and can be cleaned with the sprayer in the kitchen sink. The pieces parts from HD/Lowes will run you about $20, and the screen from BRS will give you enough form several tries on all but the largest tanks.

Seems like a no-brainer to me!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back