I Need Help With Dinos. Pls im Desperate

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im having some dino issues, and im desperate to get rid of them and have a clean tank. Theyre everywhere: On the rocks theyve become hairlike, like hairalgae but only like orangeish brown. In the sand it looks like cyanobacteria. Oh also the stringy hairlike ones have basically infested every surface of the rocks. Im keeping the glass mostly clean, but scraping it off a tiny bit because I just added pods a week ago and im trying to get my population to grow and i dont want my clowns to eat all of the ones in the rock because id like a captive bred mandarin or ruby red dragonet. Id siphon out the rocks and sandbed but the rocks i have a very porous and im afraid of killing or taking out all the pods.
#reefsquad pls tell me what to do. Ive tried that method where you siphon out the dinos into a micron sock and then put the water back into the tank, but that didnt work. Im trying to raise my nitrates and phosphates by feeding "extra", because lots of the pellets my fish dont eat just sink to the bottom and stay there. So im hoping that will break down, raise NO3 and PO4 and then kill or at least stop the dinos from growing. Should I try Vibrant or smth? Id like to clean things up, and then add a captive bred mandarin thats been raised only on pellets and frozen from a wholeseller who will remain anonymous for now because I dont want you guys buying all their mandarins they have limited stock ;)
PLease tell me what I should do? #reefsquad thank you

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of reading an article about raising the temperature to erradicate dinos, but there's no solid proof in that yet.

The first thing you need to do is get a microscope and identify the type of dino!

I had good success with the Elegant Corals technique with small cell amphidinium dinos. But, they have returned but manageable now. I finally came to the conclusion that I'm going to live with them slightly in the tank.

I've seen a lot of threads using Vibrant... and then dinos coming on strong. So I'd stay away from that, but maybe others with better Vibrant experience may come in.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of reading an article about raising the temperature to erradicate dinos, but there's no solid proof in that yet.

The first thing you need to do is get a microscope and identify the type of dino!

I had good success with the Elegant Corals technique with small cell amphidinium dinos. But, they have returned but manageable now. I finally came to the conclusion that I'm going to live with them slightly in the tank.

I've seen a lot of threads using Vibrant... and then dinos coming on strong. So I'd stay away from that, but maybe others with better Vibrant experience may come in.
I definetly need to try the microscope technique, problem is i dont own one and live in the middle of nowhere. Do libraries or smth rent things like that? Regularly i might ask my science teacher to use one and bring in a dinos sample but now COVID I cant just do things like that. Acc that might work but i dont have science class till in about 5 weeks. If I do use a microscope what magnification would be best to use? 40x or 400x? I would assume not 10x

Last edited:

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definetly need to try the microscope technique, problem is i dont own one and live in the middle of nowhere. Do libraries or smth rent things like that? Regularly i might ask my science teacher to use one and bring in a dinos sample but now COVID I cant just do things like that. Acc that might work but i dont have science class till in about 5 weeks. If I do use a microscope what magnification would be best to use? 40x or 400x? I would assume not 10x
Just take a sample in to school and ask a biology teacher if you can use a scope...i bet they will be thrilled.

Use whatever mag that will allow good identification. I use higher mag regularly. A good steady hand and you should be able to get some good pictures with your phone through the optics. Post the pics on here and we should be able to help you id them quickly.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people being successful raising nitrates and dosing phyto
other option more aggressive is dosing bleach
Ohhhh.... I've never heard of dosing bleach for dinos! I don't think i would try that one!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring up your nutrients with dosing synthetics forms, similar to the below options.

Dose up for dinos.. and feed your pods some Algaebarn OceanMagik

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of hobbyist claim it’s safe also peroxide seems to be working well
I've tried peroxide at double the dose (2ml/10g) without any success. Or at least no success that i could quantify visually.

I think I'm going to try this idea I'm reading about by raising my temp to 82 degrees and see how that works.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take a sample in to school and ask a biology teacher if you can use a scope...i bet they will be thrilled.

Use whatever mag that will allow good identification. I use higher mag regularly. A good steady hand and you should be able to get some good pictures with your phone through the optics. Post the pics on here and we should be able to help you id them quickly.
Ill see if I can, im on great terms with my gr.9 science teacher. FUnny little man, brain full of knowledge.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried peroxide at double the dose (2ml/10g) without any success. Or at least no success that i could quantify visually.

I think I'm going to try this idea I'm reading about by raising my temp to 82 degrees and see how that works.
That could work, how long should I do that? I dont want to be stressing the corals out for too long?

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my Dino’s on accident. Couldn’t get nutrients up. Added fish fed more shut down the refugium and skimmer. Nada. Finally forgot to change my rodi carts. Massive gha outbreak that killed them off.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring up your nutrients with dosing synthetics forms, similar to the below options.

Dose up for dinos.. and feed your pods some Algaebarn OceanMagik

Im thinking of trying that, problem is im in Canada and companies like AlgaeBarn, BRS and LiveAquaria dont ship up north. Ill have to find these brands at an LFS

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could work, how long should I do that? I dont want to be stressing the corals out for too long?
Raise the temp slowly. Tanks used to run at 82 regularly when metal halides were the norm for lighting!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my Dino’s on accident. Couldn’t get nutrients up. Added fish fed more shut down the refugium and skimmer. Nada. Finally forgot to change my rodi carts. Massive gha outbreak that killed them off.
Ive stopped running my UV, I dont have a skimmer on this tank so hopefully nutrients will raise soon. Im going to let my tank be for a few more days,

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a small UV? Mine were a stringy brown and UV took care of them.
Expensive option that works great for certain types of dinos only. It wiped out my ostreopsis dinos in a couple days... but had no impact on the small cell amphidinium dinos that stick to the sandbed.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the temp slowly. Tanks used to run at 82 regularly when metal halides were the norm for lighting!
I'll get started on that tomorrow then. How long should I leave it at 82F? Should I raise it for a few days, lower it down again, then bring it back up?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back