I Need Help With Dinos. Pls im Desperate

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get started on that tomorrow then. How long should I leave it at 82F? Should I raise it for a few days, lower it down again, then bring it back up?
I think it might be a permanent thing, or at least for awhile and then slowly drop it again and see if they start to come back.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a small UV? Mine were a stringy brown and UV took care of them.
I do have a small UV, in-tank model, its only 20g. Im going to turn on my UV on monday again, ill leave it on during the night and turn it off during the day. I dosed pods a week ago and I'm trying to raise a population so I can add either a ruby red dragonet, or a captive bred mandarin thats been raised on pellets and frozen. Getting rid of dinos will help the pods reproduce.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im having some dino issues, and im desperate to get rid of them and have a clean tank. Theyre everywhere: On the rocks theyve become hairlike, like hairalgae but only like orangeish brown. In the sand it looks like cyanobacteria. Oh also the stringy hairlike ones have basically infested every surface of the rocks. Im keeping the glass mostly clean, but scraping it off a tiny bit because I just added pods a week ago and im trying to get my population to grow and i dont want my clowns to eat all of the ones in the rock because id like a captive bred mandarin or ruby red dragonet. Id siphon out the rocks and sandbed but the rocks i have a very porous and im afraid of killing or taking out all the pods.
#reefsquad pls tell me what to do. Ive tried that method where you siphon out the dinos into a micron sock and then put the water back into the tank, but that didnt work. Im trying to raise my nitrates and phosphates by feeding "extra", because lots of the pellets my fish dont eat just sink to the bottom and stay there. So im hoping that will break down, raise NO3 and PO4 and then kill or at least stop the dinos from growing. Should I try Vibrant or smth? Id like to clean things up, and then add a captive bred mandarin thats been raised only on pellets and frozen from a wholeseller who will remain anonymous for now because I dont want you guys buying all their mandarins they have limited stock ;)
PLease tell me what I should do? #reefsquad thank you
I had the same issue. Honestly I was frustrated with Dinos and I know it would be a never ending battle. I restarted my tank and cleaned everything in the tank. I added new sand and rocks. I cycled the tank correctly and with patience while having my corals in a 5 gallon tank. That’s the best advice it’s involve buy a tank of you don’t have a spare one but worth it!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. Honestly I was frustrated with Dinos and I know it would be a never ending battle. I restarted my tank and cleaned everything in the tank. I added new sand and rocks. I cycled the tank correctly and with patience while having my corals in a 5 gallon tank. That’s the best advice it’s involve buy a tank of you don’t have a spare one but worth it!
I want to do that, but my current tank is in my bedroom, i dont exactly have much space for another tank ,idek where id put it. Plus my parents prolly dont want me getting another tank, even if its just to clean up my current one. I could try that though

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do that, but my current tank is in my bedroom, i dont exactly have much space for another tank ,idek where id put it. Plus my parents prolly dont want me getting another tank, even if its just to clean up my current one. I could try that though
I did a simple little 5 gallon you could get smaller depending on the amount of coral

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just saw this as we were out for dinner.

Take a deep breath - Here is an easy remedy I recommend which always work and safe for your tank and coral. . . . .
Dinos:
Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a small UV, in-tank model, its only 20g. Im going to turn on my UV on monday again, ill leave it on during the night and turn it off during the day. I dosed pods a week ago and I'm trying to raise a population so I can add either a ruby red dragonet, or a captive bred mandarin thats been raised on pellets and frozen. Getting rid of dinos will help the pods reproduce.

I have UV on two of my tanks and pods are abundant. I don't think UV is strong enough to harm a pod that flows through it (they are much larger than bacteria) nor do I feel a pod wants to go inside the UV as there is better food/hiding elsewhere.

I used a small 10w UV on a 20g and it took about a week to start noticing results (I left it on 24/7). It doesn't work on all dino but worth a shot.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this as we were out for dinner.

Take a deep breath - Here is an easy remedy I recommend which always work and safe for your tank and coral. . . . .
Dinos:
Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly
This sounds great.Ive heard of people trying those blackouts but ive never done it. I think I will. How much water should i take out? Im still feeding the fish, right? IM going to go 3 days, because corals need energy and 5 days could kill them. Also isnt hydrogen peroxide acid? Is that safe to dose? Also what should i do about my BTA?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking of trying that, problem is im in Canada and companies like AlgaeBarn, BRS and LiveAquaria dont ship up north. Ill have to find these brands at an LFS

Nitrate:

Phosphate:

Also, think Algaebarn will ship Oceanmagic (Phytoplankton) to Canada.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This sounds great.Ive heard of people trying those blackouts but ive never done it. I think I will. How much water should i take out? Im still feeding the fish, right? IM going to go 3 days, because corals need energy and 5 days could kill them. Also isnt hydrogen peroxide acid? Is that safe to dose? Also what should i do about my BTA?
peroxide is not acid in fact made up up mainly of water. 5 days is safe and you can offer 10-15% blue. Go the 5 - its worth it. You want these flagellates Gone.
Do feed fish as normal - yes

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. raise nitrates and phosphate, ghost feed reef roids for a few days and/or dose and turn off skimmer
2. get a UV filter appropriately sized to your aquarium, run it 24/7 or at least at night when lights are out
3. stop water changes, water changes makes things worse
4. turkey baste everything and then siphon your tank into a 1 micron filter sock a few times per session every couple days and pour the siphoned water back (no water change), only add enough new water for loss water
5. you want other algae such as gha to out compete the dinos, easier to deal with nuisance algae than dinos
6. keep your nutrient level up (NO3 > 20ppm and PO4 > .20), maintain this until most of dinos are gone
7. never let your nutrient levels bottom out, you may need to keep levels up for a long time even if dinos appear gone, they will come back. Its a long process for some of us.

No particular order to above or if all is required. These steps helped me. I battled dinos for 10 months. Good luck

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. raise nitrates and phosphate, ghost feed reef roids for a few days and/or dose and turn off skimmer
2. get a UV filter appropriately sized to your aquarium, run it 24/7 or at least at night when lights are out
3. stop water changes, water changes makes things worse
4. turkey baste everything and then siphon your tank into a 1 micron filter sock a few times per session every couple days and pour the siphoned water back (no water change), only add enough new water for loss water
5. you want other algae such as gha to out compete the dinos, easier to deal with nuisance algae than dinos
6. keep your nutrient level up (NO3 > 20ppm and PO4 > .20), maintain this until most of dinos are gone
7. never let your nutrient levels bottom out, you may need to keep levels up for a long time even if dinos appear gone, they will come back. Its a long process for some of us.

No particular order to above or if all is required. These steps helped me. I battled dinos for 10 months. Good luck
Would it be possible to maybe like buy bubble algae or something to just add to outcompete? Ive tried the micron sock before, it didnt work out.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peroxide is not acid in fact made up up mainly of water. 5 days is safe and you can offer 10-15% blue. Go the 5 - its worth it. You want these flagellates Gone.
Do feed fish as normal - yes
Ill start this tomorrow then. Oh and what kind of hydrogen peroxide do i buy? Concentrated, 100%, or a more diluted form?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are at 0, i originally thought it was good to have all those at 0 but now ive learned that they need to be not 0, so im trying to bring them up.

That's why you need to stop doing water changes, and water changes brings back addition trace elements that will fuel dinos.

So if your dosing trace elements on the side, then stop dosing them as well.

Give @Idoc 's temp change ago. I did not work on my strain, but it works with other strains.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back