I need help with getting my fish to eat.

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently set up my 40b reef tank. I added a firefish and recently a yellow clown goby. The firefish has been great about eating but the clown goby doesn’t seem to care about any food I try. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of fish not eating or any tips on me getting this little guy to eat. Thanks in advance!

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently set up my 40b reef tank. I added a firefish and recently a yellow clown goby. The firefish has been great about eating but the clown goby doesn’t seem to care about any food I try. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of fish not eating or any tips on me getting this little guy to eat. Thanks in advance!
Both fish are rather passive so I recommend some live brine shrimp or frozen brine shrimp. Feed small amounts often. Don't add any aggressive feeders until those fish are very comfortable. The one thing I always could do is get fish to eat

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fish are rather passive so I recommend some live brine shrimp or frozen brine shrimp. Feed small amounts often. Don't add any aggressive feeders until those fish are very comfortable. The one thing I always could do is get fish to eat
Ok, I’ve tried mysis, flakes, and pellets. The firefish loves the flakes and pellets but does not seem to eager the mysis. I’ll try some brine and maybe some plankton tonight. Maybe I am overreacting, but I just don’t want him to starve.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ve tried mysis, flakes, and pellets. The firefish loves the flakes and pellets but does not seem to eager the mysis. I’ll try some brine and maybe some plankton tonight. Maybe I am overreacting, but I just don’t want him to starve.
Plankton worked when I had to get one feeding in my uncles tank.

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding garlic to the food help entice him to eat?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS
live-foods-reef-nutrition-r-o-e-real-oceanic-eggs-1_2000x.jpg

OR THAT
live-foods-reef-nutrition-oyster-feast-5_2000x.jpg

garlic won't hurt. I used it early on, not sure if that's what enticed eating or not.

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp he loved the brine shrimp! Thanks for all the help!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp is a good start to get it eating but the nutritional value is low.
PE Canalus is also good for finicky eaters, as is Rotifers.
What brand mysis are you feeding? PE is very large and may be the issue.
Hikari has a much smaller shrimp and may help as your firefish has a small mouth. It's also a cleaner food as it's freshwater sourced, although it's still full of good stuff.
You could also consider chopping the PE mysis.

As to the garlic idea; it helps to entice fish to start with, but wean them off it as it's been pondered on the web that long-term it may cause liver damage.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-reading, I may have confused which fish is eating what food ...
Regardless, try some smaller foods. Once they start eating something, you can then slowly temp them with mixing foods.
I've had success doing this when fish wouldn't eat certain foods but eventually trained them to eat everything.

Make sure you siphon out what they aren't eating !!!

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back