I need help

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am not total new to reefing but i have a "new" tank it has been set up for about 4 months and i have a 40g breeder and i am running current usa oribit marine led with the 2 strips of lights. I have 6 corals in there 3 acans 1 favia 1 duncan and a torch coral they are all on the sandbed and the 3 acans are bleached with very little color and so is the torch and the duncan is starting to loose a little color and the favia looks ok. I do a 30% water change every 1-2 weeks and have a refugium with chaeto algae that is starting to take off. Perameters are nitrite 0, nitrate 0-5/ undetectable, ammonia 0, ph 8.3 day and night, kh 9, calcium 480, phosphate 0, salinity 1.023, temperature 77. I was currentley running all lights at 100% not nowith that theese lights are actually very powerful my lfs said that that is probably why theu are bleaching today i have put them all on 50% power reccomended by my lfs. I am asking if you guys think this ist the problem also??? Stock list 2 clownfish 4 small blue legged hermits and a feather duster that is fat and happy. Flow is moderate i run 2 curremt usa powerheads set to 50

What lights are they.

You have very little food in the system. So they’re starving.
You may want to turn the lights down. And def skip some water changes.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...d-i-dont-know-what-to-do.210035/#post-2401666

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through that thread... People are saying lights and are very confident on that. I call shenanigans! In order for both your coral and fuge to do great, you must be able to provide food. 5ppm of nitrate is great, but try more. Each coral and macro algae is competing for the same food. Just as @saltyfilmfolks skip some water changes. Very clean water is not necessary. Also, bring phos up a bit. Bring salinity to 1.025ish.
Another thing is having lighs on full blast for more than 4 hours will cook em coral.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back