I need ideas on how to move 3 H. Magnificas off live rock

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on upgrading tanks within the next month. I am just waiting for the tank. One reason for the upgrade is to get rid of the green star polyps and anthelia. They have taken over the tank. I need to somehow remove these anemones from the beautiful 23 year old Marshal Island live rock they are on. Then I can move the anemones to the new tank without the GSP and Anthelia. But how can I safely separate the anemones from the live rock? They will likely be in a temp set up for up to a week. I am considering placing the rock on one side of the holding tank and bright lights on the other end and hope they leave the rocks for brighter lights. Do you think this will work? I am hopeful it will. Then I need to clean the rocks. Any tips on cleaning the live rock or is it peel and scrub and peel and scrub in saltwater? Thanks, Scott

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. Mine are always looking for more light. If they could float on the surface full time im sure they would

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not remove them. Anthelia is easy enough to pull by hand. I've never had GSP, but they should be removable. There is a good chance the mags move on their own in the new system by themselves, but I don't think it is worth the risk just to be certain you got rid of a few corals you regret.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved 7 gigs I’ve had for years. From a 210 to a 125 back to a 210 within a 3 year period. Each time I moved them, I ended ripping their foot. Just moved them again today and ripped all foots. Each one almost. They will recover, I hope... It’s a gamble, nothing anyone can say will help, other than you gleaning a little insight here or there. The bio filtration is critical. Be prepared to water change if needed. Aged rock is key, so you’ve got that covered. When I moved my 210, half the rock went into a garbage can with power head and cooked in the dark for 2 years (cooking is just keeping rock at salinity with water movement and temp for a time in the dark, I kept it a couple years like this, letting everything die and reacclimate with no life, other than original seeds...life will reappear from the rock without all the overgrowth, GSP and softies will not come back, but cool algae will over time). All that rock turned white and is now clean, and was just re-added a few weeks ago. You will need some of the rock for complete bio filtration to move with the nems. If the rock you need has softies on it, it’s labor intense to get rid of. You will need to scrape every nook and cranny with a razor blade or cut the pieces with softies off, using a razor blade and bone cutters. Best of luck, it’s not for beginners lol.

OP
OP
outerbank

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good ideas. Thanks. My sump is a 75 gallon tank with 4 inch DSB and full of live rock that is clean. I will be moving that rock into the main display of the new tank and seed a new DSB with some of the sand in the current 75 gallon tank. I also have LR that is clean in my 29 gallon QTank so I should have enough rock to start (considering I will also transfer a couple pieces from the current DT). Then I think I will scrub the pieces I want to keep and keep them in an unlit saltwater container for a couple weeks. I bought the darn Anthelia in 1994. I may actually keep some on a separate rock in the new tank as anthelia is beautiful. The current set up is Bare Bottom and I don't like it. DSB makes it easier to control unwanted coral spread.

OP
OP
outerbank

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved 7 gigs I’ve had for years. From a 210 to a 125 back to a 210 within a 3 year period. Each time I moved them, I ended ripping their foot. Just moved them again today and ripped all foots. Each one almost. They will recover, I hope... It’s a gamble, nothing anyone can say will help, other than you gleaning a little insight here or there. The bio filtration is critical. Be prepared to water change if needed. Aged rock is key, so you’ve got that covered. When I moved my 210, half the rock went into a garbage can with power head and cooked in the dark for 2 years (cooking is just keeping rock at salinity with water movement and temp for a time in the dark, I kept it a couple years like this, letting everything die and reacclimate with no life, other than original seeds...life will reappear from the rock without all the overgrowth, GSP and softies will not come back, but cool algae will over time). All that rock turned white and is now clean, and was just re-added a few weeks ago. You will need some of the rock for complete bio filtration to move with the nems. If the rock you need has softies on it, it’s labor intense to get rid of. You will need to scrape every nook and cranny with a razor blade or cut the pieces with softies off, using a razor blade and bone cutters. Best of luck, it’s not for beginners lol.
Thanks for sharing your experience. If I fail before the new DT is running, I think I will place the anemone rock on one side of new DT and light only 1 side of the tank for awhile. They should eventually head to the lit side of the tank where I can set up a new happy home for them. I don't trust myself trying to peel the Magnificas off. I have tried with no progress.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you don't care that much about saving the rock full of GSP, right? Then I will just chisel the rock away, close to the foot of the anemone, without damaging the foot. Basically destroy the rock except those that the anemone is attached to. Get a chisel, a hammer, and some disposable rock to practice. You can control the break of it pretty well with some practice.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shame you're getting rid of all that. That entire video looked so mesmerizing! Loved the overgrown look! :)

If you're planning on breaking down the scape anyways, why don't you try flipping the rock upside down? the mag will move to try to right itself up. If you do the light plan, it may take longer for it to go looking for light.

OP
OP
outerbank

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shame you're getting rid of all that. That entire video looked so mesmerizing! Loved the overgrown look! :)

If you're planning on breaking down the scape anyways, why don't you try flipping the rock upside down? the mag will move to try to right itself up. If you do the light plan, it may take longer for it to go looking for light.
The GSPs are beautiful. I have had them for 20 years but they grew out of control--literally growing over everything like weeds. They are literally smothering. I have 2 types and their waving in high current is beautiful. I want to set a small rock of them aside but I dread them getting out of control again.

To have the anemones "walk" to the lights, I might tilt their rocks and have an upward ramp of select rocks leading to an area of best current and light.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest chiseling the rock too. it’s very hard to peel them off. I don’t recommend trying that.

I have had GSP die on several rocks. The entire rock was covered and I turned it into base rock with limited light. They melt and the entire rock turned purple after 3-6 months. They don’t come back.

you could lean the rock to the glass wall amd have the mag walk up the wall.

OP
OP
outerbank

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest chiseling the rock too. it’s very hard to peel them off. I don’t recommend trying that.

I have had GSP die on several rocks. The entire rock was covered and I turned it into base rock with limited light. They melt and the entire rock turned purple after 3-6 months. They don’t come back.

you could lean the rock to the glass wall amd have the mag walk up the wall.
Good point. I remember I neglected my tank for awhile and the dKh dropped to very low levels and most of the GSPs died off. I think with low light and low dKh I can get it to die off. The Marshall Island live rock is awesome and you can no longer purchase this rock. The MI rocks are the size of footballs. I had Millipora SPS coral grow to the top of the water column and eventually shaded and smothered itself after repetitive trimming. That is why the rock extends to nearly the surface (the tank is 30 inches tall). I may be able to trim or chisel the SPS arms the anemone are attached to. They would prefer a flat surface anyways.

Captain K'nuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I wouldn't chisel the rock. One slip and disaster. Or rock splits ripping you mag. I have two mags in separate species only tanks. Are yours all from same clone? Bet the clowns don't know what to do with themselves in that tank. So mesmerizing. The light move trick is a good idea. If they detach and puff up for a float even better than a walk to the light. Lights off. Curtains open. Should move in no time. No direct sunlight obviously. Just a hint should do it. Worked for me. Last time I upgraded my tanks I moved the mag on the rock engulfing them in a tub for lifting out. Clowns n all. Gsp can be ripped off by the matload but the other? Just a fragment of foot left behind and who knows. Unless I'm mistaken. Even slight damage to the mags foot could spell disaster. The first time I tried to move a stubborn one years ago with a credit card and Saw it flinch. Screenshot_20210131-080123.png Put me right off the idea. Rocks and all went instead as a last resort. Good luck with the move.

OP
OP
outerbank

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I wouldn't chisel the rock. One slip and disaster. Or rock splits ripping you mag. I have two mags in separate species only tanks. Are yours all from same clone? Bet the clowns don't know what to do with themselves in that tank. So mesmerizing. The light move trick is a good idea. If they detach and puff up for a float even better than a walk to the light. Lights off. Curtains open. Should move in no time. No direct sunlight obviously. Just a hint should do it. Worked for me. Last time I upgraded my tanks I moved the mag on the rock engulfing them in a tub for lifting out. Clowns n all. Gsp can be ripped off by the matload but the other? Just a fragment of foot left behind and who knows. Unless I'm mistaken. Even slight damage to the mags foot could spell disaster. The first time I tried to move a stubborn one years ago with a credit card and Saw it flinch. Screenshot_20210131-080123.png Put me right off the idea. Rocks and all went instead as a last resort. Good luck with the move.
Thanks for the advice. I feel the same way about the credit card. Dang, I am not sure if the live rock mass will fit out the top of the tank or if I can safely lift it. Large SPS colonies have previously fused together and bridged to other rocks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back