I NEED MORE INFO ON THIS FISH... NOW

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidental hybrids are okay, but designer fish often are the result of crossbreeding and breeding sibling fish over and over, which often results in a shortened lifespan. If it’s just a hybrid, that’s okay though.

If you actually believe designer fish are made by cross breeding siblings then you don’t understand that most ethical places keep track of where the fish come from and use different pairs to make new pairs of breeding fish. Plus many designer clowns are made from breeding two different types together.

Now that tang is beautiful and I wouldn’t mind having those available when I get to do my 300G tank!

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you actually believe designer fish are made by cross breeding siblings then you don’t understand that most ethical places keep track of where the fish come from and use different pairs to make new pairs of breeding fish. Plus many designer clowns are made from breeding two different types together.
The same can be said with those that aren't necessarily unethical but don't know any better. I would venture to guess that it happens more times than not.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same can be said with those that aren't necessarily unethical but don't know any better. I would venture to guess that it happens more times than not.
Yeah but to say that it is “often” and therefore the reason to not appreciate or accept them isn’t right.

And yeah I’m sure it happens a lot by the small scale operations due to not having the space or just not having many different pairs but the large scale places like BIOTA, ORA and SEA AND REEF do their best to keep it to a minimum.

Oz_Puffy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. I watched this happen in the bird world, and then in the reptile world. Not overly massive fan of it to be honest. And many of the colour morphs, in my opinion, aren’t as nice as the originals in many instances. Take the gouldian finch for example, google a pic of the original wold type, and then some of the white morphs etc that were 10x the price. But each to their own, just not really for me

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so I was recently looking on reef builders and found this

As I assume the rest of you will if you haven’t seen this yet will fall in love with this spectacular fish. There are so many questions and one that I ask is where are MORE UPDATES... They seemed to have stalled months ago. How much more beautiful will this fish be today. We ( I ) need pictures. What do you guys think this fish truly is and what is it a breed of. Will we be able to replicate this and make more. Will this fish be for sale, if so for how much.

@Jake Adams

Z.-scopas-x-Z.-flavescens.jpg
Z.-scopas-x-Z.-flavescens-18.jpg
My wife called them an ‘electric tang’ lol

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now that tang is beautiful and I wouldn’t mind having those available when I get to do my 300G tank!
In Breeding is a common practice with fish breeding. It isn't unethical per se.

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also guys how can we get @Jake Adams and Reef Builders to get us more pics of this fish

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they’ll start breeding koi tangs, get us some more white tangs or half black half white would be gorgeous. Like a bandit angel

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a juvenile Atlantic blue getting ready to change in my opinion ...... why do humans always have to put “their spin on things “ these are fish not designer dogs. Wasn’t the whole idea to preserve a native species why desolate from the original breeding species ?? I’m all for a “teacup” tangs as I keep seeing fish that get 1-2ft long in nano tanks

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who will never, ever pick up a designer Clownfish, this is going to be..... madness.
Agreed. I knew this would happen, and this is why I prefer wild caught species (assuming the pictured fish is a breeder's project, not a natural hybrid or a specific growth phase we've not yet seen); hybrids coming out of breeding facilities will be everywhere all too soon. In a few years it may be as hard to find a naturally occurring clownfish or surgeonfish as it is to find natural varieties of hognose snakes, ball pythons and other herps. And they'll be way over-priced. While some types of hybridization can be beneficial for our pets, I fear that the corrupted aesthetic of producing "unique" genetic strains will potentially ruin the market for those of us who prefer animals as they appear in nature. But, I will grant that if someone produces a 5" Achilles variety that looks like an actual Achilles, prefers lower water flow, has the temperament of a goldfish, and eats Walmart tropical flake, I'd be tempted. Pardon me, I'm off to feed the blood parrots now...

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Tangs went through a Planktonic Stage when they were larva. Is this not true, or does it only apply to the Toothed Tangs? Just wondering how they bred them?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please no!

Designer clownfish are already abominations that are only good as grouper and lionfish food but starting the same crap now with tangs and angels is just leading to new lows...
Natural hybrids are one thing but doing it on purpose should be outlawed!

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please no!

Designer clownfish are already abominations that are only good as grouper and lionfish food but starting the same crap now with tangs and angels is just leading to new lows...
Natural hybrids are one thing but doing it on purpose should be outlawed!
Don't like designer clownfish. Goes against nature IMO.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back