I NEED MORE INFO ON THIS FISH... NOW

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that someone with a xanthic scopas hasn't chimed in. ;)
Wild caught so an act of nature, if I had disco leds and not T5s and knew how to post process I could make her blue stand out more.
I'm not sure why you would want a yellow tang given this option?! :)

DSC_0002 (1024x720).jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shudder when I think about the day where finding an original Clownfish or Tang would be difficult. Please, please. I really don’t get why designer Clownfish or designer anything exist in the first place. Their offspring will be sterile, and I much prefer a good old orange or B n W Ocellaris over anything with fancy patterns.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes, if we take it far enough the very act of using RODI water to keep these creatures in tanks is not natural, but playing God with fish genetics is one step too far for me. Sure some of these “designer” Clownfish do occur in the wild, but most morphs don’t. Regardless, I will only buy Clownfish with the original and naturally occurring patterns.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shudder when I think about the day where finding an original Clownfish or Tang would be difficult. Please, please. I really don’t get why designer Clownfish or designer anything exist in the first place. Their offspring will be sterile, and I much prefer a good old orange or B n W Ocellaris over anything with fancy patterns.
FWIW the offspring of well bred designer clownfish aren't sterile. Inbreeding used appropriately in fish breeding strengthens the line. Any strides we can make with marine fish aquaculture, can help in our fight against those that oppose our hobby, and help ensure that it will exist in the future. There will always be a market for standard clownfish and surgeonfish and angelfish.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always LOL at threads like these where everyone shouts about "designer' fish that have been genetically(bred) modified, and how their a freak of nature, shouldn't be allowed, people are playing god, etc, etc.

Yet these same people have no issues eating genetically engineered food. Heck a quarter of the population wouldn't be able to be fed if we didn't genetically modify the plants we eat.

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes, if we take it far enough the very act of using RODI water to keep these creatures in tanks is not natural, but playing God with fish genetics is one step too far for me. Sure some of these “designer” Clownfish do occur in the wild, but most morphs don’t. Regardless, I will only buy Clownfish with the original and naturally occurring patterns.
In Rodi’s defense , humans degrade their ecosystems and created tap water which will kill coral . Nyc is praised for the cleanest water and is somehow safe for us to drink ? Wonder if my belly’s full of cyano :p water by me is at least 90 total dissolved solid

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean technically orange and black clownfish are designer varieties saying theyre being selectively bred to retain those colours, unless you bring in wild fish to a captive breeding system. But i highly doubt we will lose any sense of a naturality in species as captive breeding occurs, i know it sometimes occurs in freshwater, but natural varieties are typically commonly found, i wouldnt worry.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much complaining about designer fish as if it’s the end of the world.. just don’t buy them.

Taking a fish from it’s wild habitat is way less ethical than captive breeding different pigments onto their skin. It can be done in a way that promotes healthy lines that are adapted to a captive environment so what difference does it make if some people like different colours.

As long as the originals remain available it really shouldn’t matter to people and like I said it’s MORE ethical than wild caught.

I do think that the countries such as Indonesia and the Philippines should get the first opportunity to profit considering they are who risk their lives to collect from the wild currently.

jcherr007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I knew this would happen, and this is why I prefer wild caught species (assuming the pictured fish is a breeder's project, not a natural hybrid or a specific growth phase we've not yet seen); hybrids coming out of breeding facilities will be everywhere all too soon. In a few years it may be as hard to find a naturally occurring clownfish or surgeonfish as it is to find natural varieties of hognose snakes, ball pythons and other herps. And they'll be way over-priced. While some types of hybridization can be beneficial for our pets, I fear that the corrupted aesthetic of producing "unique" genetic strains will potentially ruin the market for those of us who prefer animals as they appear in nature. But, I will grant that if someone produces a 5" Achilles variety that looks like an actual Achilles, prefers lower water flow, has the temperament of a goldfish, and eats Walmart tropical flake, I'd be tempted. Pardon me, I'm off to feed the blood parrots now...

so it’s not for you and it will ruin the hobby, unless it’s specifically done to the fish you want? Isn’t that a bit hypocritical? To each their own and yes you are entitled to your opinion, so.....And I still see “natural” clowns so my guess is there will be “original” hippos and naso’s swimming around, but hopefully there are less wild captured ones. I’m all for captive breeding of fish for the hobby...

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always LOL at threads like these where everyone shouts about "designer' fish that have been genetically(bred) modified, and how their a freak of nature, shouldn't be allowed, people are playing god, etc, etc.

Yet these same people have no issues eating genetically engineered food. Heck a quarter of the population wouldn't be able to be fed if we didn't genetically modify the plants we eat.
Thank you for pointing that out.
The whole anti-gmo movement is a bunch of quacks.

CPC Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to an Ocellaris Tang. That would be gorgeous. Bet a lot of you would pay big $$$$. I'll get to work!

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it’s not for you and it will ruin the hobby, unless it’s specifically done to the fish you want? Isn’t that a bit hypocritical? To each their own and yes you are entitled to your opinion, so.....And I still see “natural” clowns so my guess is there will be “original” hippos and naso’s swimming around, but hopefully there are less wild captured ones. I’m all for captive breeding of fish for the hobby...

Brief though it was, did you read my post thoroughly? Did you understand that the line about the Achilles was a joke? To reiterate somewhat, my concern over man-made hybrids is due to my witnessing, over the last several years, a saturation of breeders' designer projects into certain aspects of pet keeping that has sometimes made it difficult for me to find a naturally occurring sample of what I'm looking for. I did not say that hybrids would ruin the hobby because I don't care for them. I only worry that they may crowd out the natural varieties, as I have experienced in some cases, which is why I used the word "potentially." Freshwater angel fish, sword tails, hog nosed snakes, and various king and milk snakes come to mind. By all means, fill your tank with designer fish or straight captive-breds, its your choice. They'll look good swimming around the ceramic shipwreck with the bubbling paddle-wheel.

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love natural hybrids. Such an interesting phenomenon...I am not a fan of designers though. The distorted body shapes and health problems bother me...just my preference though.

Back