I need some advice regarding DSB, Seachem Matrix, sump

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up what is essentially a giant refugium. I'm keeping abalone alive, and aesthetics of the tank are irrelevant. I have a 90 gal. I'll likely be adding a 20 gal sump to house a protein skimmer, possibly Seachem Matrix and chaeto. I'd like to have a DSB, but have heard that the area should be 20% of the tank's volume, whatever this means.

I have 3L of Seachem Matrix that I'm planning to use in concert with chaeto and a DSB to control waste. As of now, I have no plans to use rock. As for a DSB, I know that depth should be at least 4". What sort of volume should I have, though? If I fill a 5" x 12" x 14" plastic basin with sand, and put it in the bottom of the DT, would this be sufficient? As for the Matrix, I don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of putting it all in a mesh bag, and suspending it in current from the central brace of the tank. I could also put it in the sump, or just scatter it along the bottom of the DT. Suspended in a bag seems like the best answer.

Also, regarding the sump: In a standard three chamber sump, there is often a bubble trap and weir between chambers 2 and 3. I've seen that some sumps use large-cell open-cell foam here as well. Is this advisable to have? If so, I'm guessing its purpose is to prevent broken chaeto from being swept into the return pump. Is this the case?

Thanks

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would put mud covered with sand. Can get more power in less depth. 2” mud, 1” sand. Less likely to get old tank syndrome as well

Matrix will no more nitrate, less other, in lower flow. Placement depends on what else you have, and what you want it to do

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much mud/sand should I use? Would the basin be enough? When you say "Matrix will no more nitrate, less other, in lower flow", I don't know what you mean. It's my understanding that Matrix will provide habitat for ammonia and nitrite removing bacteria, but I will need an anaerobic environment (the bed) for nitrate removal. What do you mean regarding flow?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matrix or marinepure can remove some nitrate if put in a low flow area. Put in a high flow area they will not.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much mud/sand should I use? Would the basin be enough? When you say "Matrix will no more nitrate, less other, in lower flow", I don't know what you mean. It's my understanding that Matrix will provide habitat for ammonia and nitrite removing bacteria, but I will need an anaerobic environment (the bed) for nitrate removal. What do you mean regarding flow?

Using Seachem matrix/denitrate in a very low flow area will allow anerobic bacteria to consume nitrates as well as a surface for ammonia and nitrite consumption on the surface of the media

I currently have 4 liters in use and am adding 2 more tonight.

Takes a couple weeks to kick in.

LOW flow is a must for nitrate removal.

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Seachem matrix/denitrate in a very low flow area will allow anerobic bacteria to consume nitrates as well as a surface for ammonia and nitrite consumption on the surface of the media

gotcha. What is your tank volume?

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's going to be 110 total. Running a 140 system w/ 8L is the equivalent to running a 110 gal system w/ 6.3 L. I'd hoped that 3 would have been enough, but now I don't know. Is your tank really heavily stocked?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 to this

Use more than you think you’ll need and use it in a low flow area

I have 6 litres in 175g and it works a treat, infact I may add another 2 litres just to be sure as you can’t have to much filtration! Lol

And yes I do have just ‘a few’ fishy’s!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's going to be 110 total. Running a 140 system w/ 8L is the equivalent to running a 110 gal system w/ 6.3 L. I'd hoped that 3 would have been enough, but now I don't know. Is your tank really heavily stocked?

I have 23 fish in a 108 display. 22 of them are 4” or under fully grown.

And a foxface

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys using the matrix in a reactor or just on the floor of your sump/refugiums? Or in a media bag?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use marinepure blocks in low flow area of refuge return to sump

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up what is essentially a giant refugium. I'm keeping abalone alive, and aesthetics of the tank are irrelevant. I have a 90 gal. I'll likely be adding a 20 gal sump to house a protein skimmer, possibly Seachem Matrix and chaeto. I'd like to have a DSB, but have heard that the area should be 20% of the tank's volume, whatever this means.

I have 3L of Seachem Matrix that I'm planning to use in concert with chaeto and a DSB to control waste. As of now, I have no plans to use rock. As for a DSB, I know that depth should be at least 4". What sort of volume should I have, though? If I fill a 5" x 12" x 14" plastic basin with sand, and put it in the bottom of the DT, would this be sufficient? As for the Matrix, I don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of putting it all in a mesh bag, and suspending it in current from the central brace of the tank. I could also put it in the sump, or just scatter it along the bottom of the DT. Suspended in a bag seems like the best answer.

Also, regarding the sump: In a standard three chamber sump, there is often a bubble trap and weir between chambers 2 and 3. I've seen that some sumps use large-cell open-cell foam here as well. Is this advisable to have? If so, I'm guessing its purpose is to prevent broken chaeto from being swept into the return pump. Is this the case?

Thanks

Anyone keeping abalone alive in a natural system, in my experience with clams & oysters, should not be using a protein skimmer. Why is this thread in “new to saltwater”?

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keeping abalone alive in a natural system, in my experience with clams & oysters, should not be using a protein skimmer. Why is this thread in “new to saltwater”?

I'm guessing that your response is based upon the filter feeding needs of bivalves, right? I won't have any though; the only mollusks will be abalone. Am I right to think that I should be using a protein skimmer? The thread is in this forum since as a newbie, I really didn't know where to put it. If a mod feels it's more appropriate elsewhere, please move it.

Update: I'm thinking of putting some of the Seachem Matrix in a bag in a refugium, and the rest mixed in with sand. What is considered "low flow", movement that's a little more active than completely dead?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that your response is based upon the filter feeding needs of bivalves, right? I won't have any though; the only mollusks will be abalone. Am I right to think that I should be using a protein skimmer? The thread is in this forum since as a newbie, I really didn't know where to put it. If a mod feels it's more appropriate elsewhere, please move it.

Update: I'm thinking of putting some of the Seachem Matrix in a bag in a refugium, and the rest mixed in with sand. What is considered "low flow", movement that's a little more active than completely dead?

What do abolona eat if not a filter feeder.

Being unfamiliar with abalone cultivation, I assumed your skill level was above newbi. No worries which sub forum that this thread is in.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back